Software Upgrade via Nokia Software Updater (NSU) or Hard Reset

First.... let me tell you that I am trying to re-install the latest software update which I already have on my E52.

You must have knowledge when you try to update software via Nokia Software Updater (NSU) that if there is no newer software available for your device then NSU gives you the option to re-install the latest software that you already have in your device...... Right?

I've tried it a long time ago on my N73 as re-installing the software that I already had on the phone. And I remember that it took good time to download full software and re-install fully on my N73. I mentioned that it took good time to download full software but it's when I have no cache of the older updates. Otherwise I remember that I also have tried re-installing the latest software when the download part was skipped as the NSU found the software already in cache and used that instead. Also that time it re-installed the software fully from scratch.

And now, after that long time, I am trying to re-install the software what I already have on E52. But it's not working like that I've used to. Last time on E52 when I upgraded to the latest version of software, NSU upgraded it successfully, exactly like taking time to download the hundreds of MBs and then around a couple of minutes to install on E52. But now after a couple of weeks for some reason I want to re-install that same software again on E52 as there is no newer software available for the device. And now NSU is not performing like what I suppose it to do. I don't have cache of the earlier download which NSU downloaded last time. Even then, when I am trying to update the software again as re-installing it via NSU, it doesn't download the software again and just starts installing the software. But it also finishes installing the software within a couple of seconds, may be 10 seconds or 15 at most. NSU finishes the job with a successful message.

But on the phone, No Change is Made. Every thing is intact.

Any clue?

not sure if E52 has this function

Control Penal>phone>sw update> nothing will happen i know as u have latest one...

Control Penal>phone>device mgr. i hope it will show some files to be downloaded...

^ Yes almost all new phones are having FOTA feature to update the firmware right from the phone. And so the E52 also have it.

- "Device Mgr" does search for the new software and returns nothing as no core software update is available due to my phone is having the latest one.

- "SW Update" shows a list of all of the software applications updates which are compatible to my phone and are not installed or are older version. "SW Update" app also shows any new core software update if available which currently is not shown due the fact that the phone is already having latest software version.

I actually don't need any of the software listed in "SW Update" app as I was only willing to re-install the Core Software again.

So..... Instead of using NSU, I used Ovi Suite to update phone's software. It did download full package of the software which was about 143MB in size and re-installed on the phone. But still every thing on the phone seems to be the same with no visible change. Every thing is intact including User Settings, Contacts, Messages, Notes, Bookmarks, User Applications, blah blah blah. I also checked the sizes on the Phone Memory before and after the update, It's also same. :rolleyes:

The same thing was happened earlier with my Nokia 6120. Two times I updated the software of that phone from older version to newer version whenever it got available. Upgrade process did updated the version on the phone with new features if there were any, but it also left every thing intact, including the list I mentioned above, with no change.

Hasn't any one noticed some thing like that while updating software to newer version?

i just skimmed ur post before my reply..... sorry..

first of all why you want to re-install your software??

and yes most of times, as per my experience there is no change in anything... I now hate updating my phone.

I upgraded two N series sets and there was no difference after upgradation.

And when I upgraded my Sony Ericson K800i, it got blocked and I had to pay Rs.200 for unlocking it on all sims.

So, better not to update mobiles firmware.

Hmm thats strange. May be the latest NSU compares versions so it didn't upgrade your phone. Why do you want to reinstall your firmware. You can always do a hard reset if you want your your old phone back.

Try the restore to factory settings option.. you can also flash it with 3rd party softwares ..names of which you can google

You need to save your data from the cell phone to your PC and then hard reset the cell phone. After that, it will start from scratch.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Try the restore to factory settings option… you can also flash it with 3rd party softwares …names of which you can google
[/quote][quote=", post:, topic:"]
You need to save your data from the cell phone to your PC and then hard reset the cell phone. After that, it will start from scratch.
[/quote]

Hard Reset or Restore to Factory settings (Not Flashing) are what I always did with my previous phones. but now it doesn’t work any more on newer phones. It only restores the factory settings and that’s all. Any softwares or third party utilities installed in the phone, remain intact. That’s why I headed to re-install the Firmware. And neither that worked…

I don’t know what is it. But it resulted the same on my last Nokia 6120 and the newer Nokia E52. .

I have flashed Nokia 6120 and some other older phones of mine. but didn’t with E52 because I take risk only when I think it’s the time. Its not older than even a month yet. And I also have a plan to sell it on…

What do you consider hard reset? List the steps you followed.

I always did it using following key combination. Never tried the code some thing like *#code#. don't remember the code any way.

While the phone is currently turned off -------

hold down three keys [Call Key] + [(*)Asterisk Key] + [(3) Digit Key] and then [Power On]

[/quote]

It performs the "reset" operation successfully without any error as on next first start it prompts me to set the country time zone and the date/time. but remaining doesn't seem to be the fix as I desire.. as I said every thing remains intact.

Is there any other way for hard reseting...?

BTW the key combination worked good on the models I got up to N73. The very first handset I tried it on was Nokia 6600. but I haven't get it worked on later models which I tried after N73, specifically on 6120, E72, E52.

Edit: Corrected the term "Green Key" to the "Call Key" to make it generic as in later models, there is no "Green" for call key. they are all just white through....

^ Oh my memory..... it did work now and if I remember I have already done it.... I think I've messed with a lot of things and forgot which worked and which didn't

just restoring settings and content..... and the following fact reminded me actually that I had done it already...

There's problem... The backup I created earlier than hard resetting, was surely including the "Settings" but while restoring from that backup, the "Settings" are not available to restore... :/ :/

This was what last time, I lost too... I also tried to look in previously created "Backups", none of them is showing "Setting" being available for restore...

any clue what could make it missed the "Settings"

Incorrect/corrupt backup.

^ Yep! Pretty obvious reason... But what could be it when there's no error or warning on time of backup creation..?

Even all of them, lets say, gone corrupt.. None of the backups was containing "settings". What could be the cause?

Hard Reset or Restore to Factory settings (Not Flashing) are what I always did with my previous phones. but now it doesn’t work any more on newer phones. It only restores the factory settings and that’s all. Any softwares or third party utilities installed in the phone, remain intact. That’s why I headed to re-install the Firmware. And neither that worked…

I don’t know what is it. But it resulted the same on my last Nokia 6120 and the newer Nokia E52. .

I have flashed Nokia 6120 and some other older phones of mine. but didn’t with E52 because I take risk only when I think it’s the time. Its not older than even a month yet. And I also have a plan to sell it on…

[/quote]

Restoring to factory settings (*#7370# and default password:12345) works for me every time. I have tried it on E52, E71, and many others.

All applications and softwares installed on the phone gets formated. Only apps on memory card stay intact.

Don’t know why it is not working for you.

But sometimes I noticed when I reinstalled a firmware (through NSU - not upgrading a firmware but only reinstalling the same firmware), the apps remain intact even in the phone memory.

^ The hard reset (with keys) worked lately as I mentioned in 2nd last post #13. I also tried the code (you mentioned) very first time and yes it also worked.. There was some confusion with me with other stuff any way..

But reinstalling firmware issue as posted earlier is still there. I don't have any idea what's the reason for it to be an option (reinstalling the firmware) while it doesn't change any thing.

Real LIfe Experience: Once i flashed my mobile using NSU: the light went down in middle and my E61 never came back to life after that even after repairs

Real LIfe Experience: Once i flashed my mobile using NSU: the light went down in middle and my E61 never came back to life after that even after repairs
[/quote]

^Well NSU Specifically tells that the connection between the pc and mobile should not be interrupted, otherwise there is a danger of bricking the device.

Also, the danger is only present if the cable connection is lost (if the pc shuts down, or the cable is taken out), not the internet connection, as I have lost internet connection many times during updating firmware, and it did not cause any problems.

@Myelin;

You are supposed to have a good arrangement and have to be care full of all the things before starting as you already are warned by the NSU. So don't let it happen to you.