Software routing in vista

My computer is running Vista Home Premium. I have both a wired and a wireless link to my LAN. is there a way I can set up routing such that my local traffic goes through the wired LAN and internet traffic goes thru wireless. my LAN is 10.x.x.x and everything else is internet. Doing this in Windows 2000 was pretty easy but i dont see any options in this version. Anyone knows a solution?

It's called network bridging and it can be automatically set up using the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard in windows. Do a search in the help section, I'm sure it will point you in the right direction.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

My computer is running Vista Home Premium. I have both a wired and a wireless link to my LAN. is there a way I can set up routing such that my local traffic goes through the wired LAN and internet traffic goes thru wireless. my LAN is 10.x.x.x and everything else is internet. Doing this in Windows 2000 was pretty easy but i dont see any options in this version. Anyone knows a solution?
[/quote]

I think Vista detects access type automatically. It shows LOCAL ACCESS on the connection that is on LAN and LOCAL & INTERNET ACCESS on the connection that has access to the net. As far as I know, you would not need to do anything except making sure both connections (Wired and Wireless) are well connected.

I think u guys dont get my problem. My wired and wireless links are BOTH connected to the same router, which is connected to the internet and my LAN.

I use my wired LAN for DC++ and it is usually maxed out all the time. Thsi really hurts my internet connection performance. I want to route all my internet traffic thru the wlan (it will still go to the same router) so as to get better internet speed. Vista uses the first link it can find even if more than 1 are available.

This routing utility was available in windows 2000 but its not there in vista. (I dont have Xp right now to check if its there). So does any1 knows a utility in Vista or a 3rd party tool to achieve thsi

What i want to do is to fwd all the traffic other than 10.x.x.x thru my wireless network

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I think u guys dont get my problem. My wired and wireless links are BOTH connected to the same router, which is connected to the internet and my LAN.

I use my wired LAN for DC++ and it is usually maxed out all the time. Thsi really hurts my internet connection performance. I want to route all my internet traffic thru the wlan (it will still go to the same router) so as to get better internet speed. Vista uses the first link it can find even if more than 1 are available.

This routing utility was available in windows 2000 but its not there in vista. (I dont have Xp right now to check if its there). So does any1 knows a utility in Vista or a 3rd party tool to achieve thsi

What i want to do is to fwd all the traffic other than 10.x.x.x thru my wireless network

[/quote]

By the routing utility i assume u mean route command available in shell prompt ? if yes for it to work u have enable iprouting through registry on vista

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip

\Parameters

Set --> IPEnableRouter value to 1

I used this very utility to define static routes for my intranet and internet traffic over wlan and wired lan… i hope it helps

thanks devnull. precisely the info i was looing for!

glad to be of assistance