Smoking Ban in Public Places

Just so that people are aware, the Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-Smokers Health Ordinance (http://www.emro.who.int/tfi/PDF/PakistanLegislation.pdf) was passed on 30, June 2003.

It is not only inconsiderate to smoke in public places, but it is also illegal. I appeal to all smokers to refrain from smoking in restaurants and other enclosed public places. It's not only detrimental to you health but also to people around you. Everyone else should be aware of their rights--it is illegal to smoke in public places and you are well within your rights to tell someone at another table to stop it. Too many restaurants allow smoking which is in fact illegal even in "designated" areas.

Please spread the awareness.

ok awareness spread, now what?

question is not awareness main issue is who is going to implement it?

quickly!

take your mobiles phones and start a chain sms......

HURRRYYYY!!!

[quote=“deffury, post:3, topic:16448”]

quickly!

take your mobiles phones and start a chain sms…

HURRRYYYY!!!

[/quote]

you still didn’t get my post…

as per your suggestion chain sms equals to nothing more than awareness and not implementation…

human beings by default are human beings which is to err either they be in west or in east. so why majority follow law in west while majority break law in east ie in pakistan? well it all comes down to implementation.

in west if you get fined for smoking in public places then you get fined and you got to pay the fine thats it there is no two way about it. so next time someone in west won’t break the law due to reason he/she is a model citizen but rather due to monitory damages he/she will pay.

something same is true in pakistan ie lahore city one breaks all kind of traffic laws but the moment same driver comes on to motorway he/she becomes law abiding driver 'cause motorway police is more strict and 99% bribe free than the lahore city 99% bribe taking police.

^

True K1x1 to an extent...i.e law, implementation and consequences.

I am a smoker and have been for like 10 years now and frankly I am just sick of this but I don't have enough will power nor the much needed community/environmental/circumstantial support in this regard specially not in PK.

I tried but can't get my self to quit I have realized that if you want to quit smoke, you have to do it there and then.... there is not such thing as gradually reducing or taking the help of nicorette and as such...

So now the only thing comes my mind that the only way left for me quit is that I wake up one day and find there are cigarettes to smoke because they are not in production anymore. I know it sound very weak on my part and far-fetched on the production part but..... :(

and BTW this smoking awareness is BS. it doesn't do a damn thing even if you implement here or its already implemented abroad cause as long as there are cigarettes heck, tobacco leafs are in production, smoking will live one way or another...

My point is that it should not be just about protecting some portion of a population from inhaling second-hand smoke but to stop all the population from smoking altogether.

Given that the tobacco industry is one of the few revenue generators for the government I'm not sure it's in their (our?) best interest to reduce it too much. :)

[quote=“Faisal, post:5, topic:16448”]

^

True K1x1 to an extent…i.e law, implementation and consequences.

I am a smoker and have been for like 10 years now and frankly I am just sick of this but I don’t have enough will power nor the much needed community/environmental/circumstantial support in this regard specially not in PK.

I tried but can’t get my self to quit I have realized that if you want to quit smoke, you have to do it there and then… there is not such thing as gradually reducing or taking the help of nicorette and as such…

[/quote]

Does smoking really relax you?

May be not relevant but this reminded me of a quote I read some where,

Having a smoking zone in a restaurant is like having a peeing zone in the swimming pool!!

Point hai na ???

:)

[quote=“Imran, post:7, topic:16448”]

Does smoking really relax you?

[/quote]

as a smoker in a tension Vs. a non smoker in a same tension? then no… In fact, in this scenario, a smoker will likely to be more tensed then a non smoker.

If any smoker claims that they remain or feel more relaxed then non smokers, that’s total BS.

A smoker feels kinda relaxed when he/she fulfills the habit of smoking…by smoking. Which actually is the need to feel relax is caused by the smoking habit itself. Which means if you don’t have this habbit, you don’t need the ‘feel’ to relax. And that’s about the ‘relax’ I feel :D

Is it true :

-Smokers feelings are in the same wavelength when they smoke together...

-Smokers can make other smokers agree their views...

-Smokers beome friends with other smokers FAST...

-Women Smokers just smoke for fashion

-Smokers never kill for a smoke, but will steal it if neccessary

-Smokers can make millions if they save the money they have spent on smokes

-Smokers often lose the ability to concieve (Produce Sperm)

-Smokers Lips are Black...Always

-Smokers hate it when they are asked to smoke outside

^

-Smokers beome friends with other smokers FAST...

The only one true I guess, while in college I would drop semesters then join a batch after 6 months where I didn't know a single guy. During breaks all the smokers are outside and the next thing you know you are talking

[quote=“deffury, post:10, topic:16448”]

[/quote]

Is it true :

-Smokers feelings are in the same wavelength when they smoke together…

I don’t know if such tester has ever been invented to check the wavelength of feeling… :D

-Smokers can make other smokers agree their views…

Not necessarily , depends on the perspective.

-Smokers beome friends with other smokers FAST…

usually, but it is same as any other habit. when found in common, results in friendship.

-Women Smokers just smoke for fashion

I don’t know about that. A female smoker can answer that…

-Smokers never kill for a smoke, but will steal it if necessary

Probably true… When I am out of my cigarettes, I go for my father’s :D … and I get labeled as thief, sometimes, a robber :D

-Smokers can make millions if they save the money they have spent on smokes

Not sure about millions but true about saving part in a sense but the its also true for anything else which is not really necessary to retain life…e.g. tea, internet connection, PC, fuel spent in cars, vehicles, PC, PS3, xBox games etc.

-Smokers often lose the ability to conceive (Produce Sperm)

Never researched for a scientific fact about it but I heard of it too. I guess in some cases smoking could be the cause but its not as general or bound to happen as one would usually think. I exist don’t I?

-Smokers Lips are Black…Always

True…

-Smokers hate it when they are asked to smoke outside

usually…

Its like asking a non-smoker to go out side in the open in the arctic cold and get naked :D

[quote=“deffury, post:10, topic:16448”]

Is it true : -Smokers often lose the ability to concieve (Produce Sperm) -Smokers Lips are Black…Always
[/quote]

:D

Faisal is this true?

OK u gave the answer. :)

I was late.