Sleeping on farsh .. the bed cant get my back warm

hi

title should convey some message .. most ppl living in hostels do not have beds so they just lay their beds on ground .. which might have just a plastic sheet the one which is weaved not the smooth one .. but even with 8kg of cotton bed its still very cold on the back ..

so is there any thing that we can use as an insulation b/w the ground and bed .. thats dont need permenatn fixture and can be take when shifting to other location ..

i mean is tehre any insulation tiles ? that should stop the cold from transfering from the cold farsh to the bed ..

i tried molty foams but that give me backache .. and i dont like charpai ..

thanks

you would need to install hydronic radiant floor heat which could cost you around $600 to $800 per approximately 100 square feet

Cheapest would be a sheet of plywood. The best would be something like Diamond Jumbolon sheets

http://www.jumbolon.com/board_features.htm

Buy a folding manji, and put a mattress on it. Problem solved (if space is not an issue that is).

@JDK

That would be terrible for the back (the mattress+folding manji solution). Trust me

@Jhagra

I have put up a cotton gadda on marble floor and on top of that molty foam 4 inch thick ( I am typing this post while sitting on it) and it seems to do the job just fine. make sure the cotton (roee) gadda is not too think, just 1 and half inch thick should do the trick as when you put a foam on top and lay down, the gadda gets pressed on the floor, if the gadda is too thick, it will make the foam bent creating back problems.

If it gets too much cold, then use an extra razaie or blanket apart from the razaie or blanket you're already using for extra heat retention. and let your body heat do the trick and also make sure neither the gadda or the foam should be covered in plastic sheet.

Ijaz's solution is also promising, let your budget decide :)

thanks all ..

@ijaz

bro i like ur solution .. will discuss with friends ..

as most are hostelites and they have to change their hostels frequently .. almost twice a year due to alot of reasons .. so do u think that jumbolon can be just laid on farsh and then bed on it ? and later remove it .. and take it to another place ?

I'm using a folding for myself for the last 7 years. No problems with the back whatsoever (yet). The trick is to buy a mattress which will hold its shape no matter how much weight you put on it. In harsh cold weather, its the most economical and most effective way to combat thand. Besides, if space is a problem, you can always fold the manji when u don't need it.

Just my 0.02$. Hope you find a solution best suited to your needs.

[quote=“jhagra, post:6, topic:18353”]

@ijaz

bro i like ur solution … will discuss with friends …

[/quote]

If you consider the cartons (packing box), they may prove dirt cheap and can serve well as thermal insulator. You can also find this material in form of a roll known as Bopp Packing roll (gatta roll in local market). Using 2-3 layers under your mattress will keep the floor and mattress insulated.

BOPP-Packing-Tape-Jumbo-Roll201235185945287_s.jpg

Even old newspapers do the trick. I have seen many homeless people in Europe sleeping comfortably wrapped in newspapers.

If you frequently change rooms then consider getting a sleeping bag.

[quote=", post:8, topic:18353"]

If you consider the cartons (packing box), they may prove dirt cheap and can serve well as thermal insulator. You can also find this material in form of a roll known as Bopp Packing roll (gatta roll in local market). Using 2-3 layers under your mattress will keep the floor and mattress insulated.

BOPP-Packing-Tape-Jumbo-Roll201235185945287_s.jpg

[/quote]

its nice and cheap idea…

what are ur view about empty milkpack bags . i have accumulated a lot of 1kg empty milkpack bags … tetra packs i think they are called … ? they have a shiny surface on inside … what is that made of … will that act as insulator ? or a combo of the above and that empty packs ?

[quote=“jhagra, post:10, topic:18353”]

its nice and cheap idea…

what are ur view about empty milkpack bags . i have accumulated a lot of 1kg empty milkpack bags … tetra packs i think they are called … ? they have a shiny surface on inside … what is that made of … will that act as insulator ? or a combo of the above and that empty packs ?

[/quote]

That’s probably the thin aluminum coating keep out the external heat…

See if you can find aluminum foil (the kind of foil which comes as a wrapper of the roast or other food which needs to stay warm for extended period of time, you can out it over or under the foam depending the foil’s noise or wrap yourself in it if it get really really cold. It will much better then tetra packs or newspaper for heat retention.

Are you sure your not in Antarctica or something? :huh:

[quote=“jhagra, post:10, topic:18353”]

[/quote]

No. Aluminum is a very good thermal conductor, did you forget that almost every heat sink is made of Aluminum ?

In tetra pack, the foil is there to act as a shield from bacteria and not a thermal insulator.

I think you better spend some money and buy a sheet of EPE foam (widely used in packing), this would be durable, foldable and re-usable in case you change location.

You can get it from Peshawer More - G8 I&T center.

See this: http://www.jumbolon.com/rolls_thermal_insulation.htm

[quote=", post:12, topic:18353"]

No. Aluminum is a very good thermal conductor, did you forget that almost every heat sink is made of Aluminum ?

In tetra pack, the foil is there to act as a shield from bacteria and not a thermal insulator.

I think you better spend some money and buy a sheet of EPE foam (widely used in packing), this would be durable, foldable and re-usable in case you change location.

You can get it from Peshawer More - G8 I&T center.

[/quote]

this thing was tried and had no luck … and gatha were also tried and was not satisfactory …

i did got a charpai for my self … but will experiment with jumbolon someday …

regarding tetra pack i though it may act as insulator for heat etc… i didnt knew its aluminum …

dayum man , i didnt notice this earlier but now after reading ur thread i also feel cold now man.. =P

i do have a carpet below my matress but i dont think it changes much...

[quote=“jhagra, post:14, topic:18353”]

this thing was tried and had no luck … and gatha were also tried and was not satisfactory …

i did got a charpai for my self … but will experiment with jumbolon someday …

regarding tetra pack i though it may act as insulator for heat etc… i didnt knew its aluminum …

[/quote]

whenever I get kabaabs from usmania restaurant, they always wrap it in some sort of shiny, silvery-looking foil and then put it in a box. and all this time I thought it was to keep em warm for extended periods of time :blink: … perhaps its not aluminum? something else maybe …

Well, my gadda+foam combo works pretty fine for me, I just fell asleep for an hour on it with a razae on top an hour ago, I was bit sweating to be honest when I woke up, perhaps you need to eat beef or fish or something to make yourself more warmer… :unsure:

Seeing a doctor doesn’t sound bad either, who knows it might be you, not your set up… :unsure:

[quote=“Faisal, post:16, topic:18353”]

whenever I get kabaabs from usmania restaurant, they always wrap it in some sort of shiny, silvery-looking foil and then put it in a box. and all this time I thought it was to keep em warm for extended periods of time :blink: … perhaps its not aluminum? something else maybe …

[/quote]

That foil, perhaps prevent the steam / moisture from escaping thus not allowing the food to quickly dry and lose the heat by evaporation.

[quote=", post:17, topic:18353"]

That foil, perhaps prevent the steam / moisture from escaping thus not allowing the food to quickly dry and lose the heat by evaporation.

[/quote]

…so that foil can come in handy after all :)

[quote=“scuzzy, post:9, topic:18353”]

If you frequently change rooms then consider getting a sleeping bag.

[/quote]

This is the best solution… A good sleeping bag will not cost more than 1800 rupees… will be hotter than u need. Easy to move and washable as well.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

i am trying this carton .. and its working much better .. definitly improved situations.. its just one layer will double it ..