Skype to sell unlimited international calls for $9.95/month

NEW YORK (AP) — Skype, the Internet calling subsidiary of eBay Inc., is introducing its first plan for unlimited calls to overseas phones on Monday.

The plan will allow unlimited calls to land-line phones in 34 countries for $9.95 per month, said Don Albert, vice president and general manager for Skype North America.

The countries encompassed include most of Europe, plus Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, China, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and Malaysia.

Calls to domestic land lines and cell phones are included as well, as are calls to cell phones in Canada, China, Hong Kong and Singapore, but not cell phones in other countries.

Skype has already been selling unlimited calls to the U.S. and Canada for $3 a month. It is expanding that offering with another plan, for $5.95 per month, that gives free calls to Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey, and a discount on calls to other places in Mexico.

Skype is generally used as a software application running on a computer equipped with a microphone and speakers or a headset. But subscribers will also have the option to call a local number from their phones and be connected to international numbers that fall under their plan, paying only local access charges or using their cell-phone airtime.

Unlimited international calling plans have been popping up in recent years from hardware-based phone services like Vonage International Holdings Corp. and cable companies, but the prices are generally higher, and the plans are add-ons to basic calling plans that cost even more.

Skype said its subscribers called phones for 1.7 billion minutes in the first three months of the year, compared with 14.2 billion minutes used in computer-to-computer sessions, which are free.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gO2C7MWUmYeHQk-JCblkfVVcM6OwD905TJL0C

any one using SKYPE or any other voip service?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

any one using SKYPE or any other voip service?
[/quote]

I use Skype…Pretty good!

This is great! I'm wondering though whether we can sign up for just one month with it or more than one would get a $10 subscription rate...

Could this be related to the Google-Skype rumours though? Mixing things up.

i don't think ebay will be selling skype.. unless google buys ebay

I use Skype…Pretty good!

[/quote]

you use it with separate voip phone set or on computer(headphone /mic ) , i just want to buy a voip phone set, where can i find one here in karachi

you use it with separate voip or on computer(headphone /mic ) , i just want to buy a voip phone set, where can i find one here in karachi

[/quote]

I use it with computer.

I use it with computer.

[/quote]

for pc to pc calls or pc to landline as well?

PC to Landline/Mobile Phones.For PC TO PC i use msn

Are WiFi Skype phones available in Karachi, if so, where?

I've got a question.. Isn't the 9.95/month and 2.95/month only for US/Canada consumers? Cause if you select your region on the site, and point to Asia, then you have three different packages, of a) unlimited calls to one country which is 5.95/month and B) Unlimited World which is for 12.95/month.

So if I change my region to US, It does let me opt for the 2.95$ package. I was wondering if that's alright? or is it some hanky panky..

i don’t think ebay will be selling skype… unless google buys ebay
[/quote]

Ebay management is not happy with Skype

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1277

Ebay management is not happy with Skype

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1277

[/quote]

stunts like this are specialties of skype … u get 10,000 min per month in unlimited package

unlimited free calls to USA numbers were offered by skype too before it was taken up by ebay… the amount of user base increases with these offering which come out of no where … these are tactics to increase the bid cost that any one will think of… ebay went off the track buying skype just coz it saw it as booming biznis… running is different than buying and if i see here if google will put up good bid ebay might sell skype to them…

google will integrate skype into grandcentral…grandcentral will cost 15$ per month to keep… calls will be diverted to skype and call forwarding will be done using skype call forwarding…