Should I Turn Off My Router?

Shutting off electrical devices when they're not in use is always a good idea; it can save money and help the environment.

But what about routers?

Although I use my TP-link router for my laptop and don't share the internet connection with other people.

So what I wanna ask is, will this TP-link router get heat and malfunctioning if it remained ON for too much time?

And if yes, than after how much time it should be given rest?

I think it depends on where you keep it.

If you kept it near a window or room which is suspectable to dust, then the router would most likely be busted if put on for too long.

i turn it off whenever I dont need to use it or if I leave it on a a couple days continuously.

my Tp-link router keeps on working 24/7...and its been months tht i've given it rest..but still its working fine..its been over 2yrs i'm usin it....

You don't need to give rest.

Besides,

How can you say that when there is alot of loadshedding.

^There is something called UPS. :)

I know, but Ups also has a limit.

well I've been using DSL since LinkDOTNet started, and I have never turned routers off....and I'm on UPS too....

about power saving I don't think routers + power wasted in adapters, make more than 10Watts, when not being used...

There are routers and switches and modems and blah blah blah.... which keep their eyes open all the time..... at offices.... at ISPs..... at Hosts... at servers.....

Then why not at your home?

The only thing which can disturb your router, should not be other than The "Environment" and of course the "Electricity"

- I got "second" device from Wateen staying at the roof only covered from top... the dust can, actually does, disturb that device all the day and night but it's still living up there, always turned on, since the mid of the year 2008. It only gets turned off when the UPS gets its breath lost due to heavy load shedding. I said "second" device because first one couldn't survive more than 6 months, I am not sure what was the reason but surely it wasn't due to continuous powering up.....

- A router in a room connected to that device is also living up always turned on and it also gets turned off just when the device gets turned off... but I have had an adapter, to the router, dead due to the untrustworthy electricity

They are all living up.... but may be they have been used to abuse me on this brutal usage of them.....

It's not brutal any way... is it? it's their job after all...

If no one is using the router you should switch it off.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Shutting off electrical devices when they’re not in use is always a good idea; it can save money and help the environment.

But what about routers?

Although I use my TP-link router for my laptop and don’t share the internet connection with other people.

So what I wanna ask is, will this TP-link router get heat and malfunctioning if it remained ON for too much time?

And if yes, than after how much time it should be given rest?

[/quote]

There are many electrical devices that are made to be turned on 24/7. However, if they are not in use (for example, in your case the TP-Link router) then you can turn it off.

Welcome back wampyr