Shiro Power Adapters getting fried due to voltage fluctuation?

After realizing that problem was with my Power Adapter and not with Shiro modem and getting denial from my local exchange on request to replace my power adapter, I have tried 3 different adapters

i) 9V DC 500mA

ii) 9V DC 850mA

iii) 9V DC 1A (1000 mA)

and all got fried. 1000 mA fried while it was connected on WAPDA supply and other 2 when they were on UPS supply.

So after wasting money and time , I searched in this forum and found that many others like me have the same problem with Shiro adapter, and few have suggested to use BIG uglly looking transformer based adapter and few have suggested to use power supply based adapter . Even some have said to use 12V adapter ...

So here I would like to get input from you guys on these :

A) Where to find the power supply adapter and in what way it is better than transformer based adapter ?

( I am in Lahore/Model town and have searched township market and Hafeez center but could't find power supply based adapter)

B) To my understanding If you give 12V DC supply to 9V device it will casue damage to device, so has any one tried attaching 12V adapter to 9V DC expecting Shiro modem ?

C) Why my genuine adapter (9V 500mA ) worked for 8 months in conditions in which these 3 adapters failed ?

D) And is it possible that problem is with modem and its giving some kind of "back-voltage" to adapters ???

Thanks for your time.

Maverick.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

After realizing that problem was with my Power Adapter and not with Shiro modem and getting denial from my local exchange on request to replace my power adapter, I have tried 3 different adapters

i) 9V DC 500mA

ii) 9V DC 850mA

iii) 9V DC 1A (1000 mA)

and all got fried. 1000 mA fried while it was connected on WAPDA supply and other 2 when they were on UPS supply.

So after wasting money and time , I searched in this forum and found that many others like me have the same problem with Shiro adapter, and few have suggested to use BIG uglly looking transformer based adapter and few have suggested to use power supply based adapter . Even some have said to use 12V adapter …

So here I would like to get input from you guys on these :

A) Where to find the power supply adapter and in what way it is better than transformer based adapter ?

( I am in Lahore/Model town and have searched township market and Hafeez center but could’t find power supply based adapter)

B) To my understanding If you give 12V DC supply to 9V device it will casue damage to device, so has any one tried attaching 12V adapter to 9V DC expecting Shiro modem ?

C) Why my genuine adapter (9V 500mA ) worked for 8 months in conditions in which these 3 adapters failed ?

D) And is it possible that problem is with modem and its giving some kind of “back-voltage” to adapters ???

Thanks for your time.

Maverick.

[/quote]

Where are you located? If you are in lahore I can request the manager of ptcl to provide you the new adapter for shiro modem.

Ahsan

If you could do this, it will be great. I am in Lahore Modeltown and my exchange is gardentown.

But I also doubt that problem is in my modem which is now drawing too much power now and its causing overloading in the adapters ... in this case can I claim to replace my modem ???

Thankss for your help.

MaverickI

If you could do this, it will be great. I am in Lahore Modeltown and my exchange is gardentown.

But I also doubt that problem is in my modem which is now drawing too much power now and its causing overloading in the adapters … in this case can I claim to replace my modem ???

Thankss for your help.

MaverickI

[/quote]

Yes its better u replace ur whole modem.

I tried to replace the whole package initially , but they refused and said problem is in adapter and we can't replace adapter and even to replace modem there r some certain conditions apply...

so can you plz guide me the replacement procedure ? how to convince them to replace it ???

Or if you could request PTCL manager to consider my replacement request ?

Thanks.

I tried to replace the whole package initially , but they refused and said problem is in adapter and we can’t replace adapter and even to replace modem there r some certain conditions apply…

so can you plz guide me the replacement procedure ? how to convince them to replace it ???

Or if you could request PTCL manager to consider my replacement request ?

Thanks.

[/quote]

ok email me your name and details tom at mohammad.ahsan@ptcl.net.pk i will have it checked.

yar Ahsan can u request the Manager to replace my Smart TV STB Adapter :D ?? its internally broken n not workin :S PTCL staff @ OSS Egerton road said we dont replace adapter :| :

well ... to my luck , a friend of mine has given me an adapter 9V DC 2A adapter , which he used to use with his wireless phone set. So I am using this from yesterday... and its working fine till now.

Apparently the difference I have noticed is that it expects input from 110 - 240 AC whereas the usual local adapters u get from market has 220-230 AC , and another very important difference is , its " MADE IN UK" , not MADE IN CHINA...

but still it gets very hot after 3,4 hrs continuous usage...

And Ahsan thanks a lot for your help , if this adapter also got fried than I will deffinatley request you to help me in replacing my modem :)

Maverick.