Shiro Modem Skips when power goes - DESPITE UPS

Can any of you smart folks help me with this. I have a PTCL DSL connection and the Shiro DSL805E modem and wireless router (Linksys) are connected to a dedicated UPS. While I'm browsing if the power goes, the modem stops browsing for about 30 seconds and then resumes (pings clearly go from "reply from ....." to "request timed out". This is in despite having a UPS in place. The power to the modem and router are clearly NOT lost and the connection to the router is not lost so I'm wondering if the minute power fluctuation is what is doing this.

Any solutions?

I'm willing to buy another modem if it helps but would appreciate suggestions as well as pointers as to where to buy it if necessary.

Thanks

there is a problem with the adapter of all the shiro modems..

u need a good adapter...

Can you elaborate a bit more - what is a "good" adapter, where should I try to get one and what specifications should I ask for?

Appreciate the input

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Can you elaborate a bit more - what is a “good” adapter, where should I try to get one and what specifications should I ask for?

Appreciate the input

[/quote]

I use the heavy duty multi-volt changer adapter that’s available at all electric stores. (It’s the one that allows you to change the voltage). Also, make sure that the current rating on the adapter is greater than or equal to the current rating on your present adapter.

I use the heavy duty multi-volt changer adapter that’s available at all electric stores. (It’s the one that allows you to change the voltage). Also, make sure that the current rating on the adapter is greater than or equal to the current rating on your present adapter.

[/quote]

Also, don’t forget to ensure that the polarity is set to what it was on the original adapter (since we’re dealing with DC here).

Do you mean one of those cheap adapters with a slide-bar that lets you change the voltage?!

Do you mean one of those cheap adapters with a slide-bar that lets you change the voltage?!
[/quote]

As a matter of fact yes - Note that you have to go for the ones which are larger in size (since they come in with lower current ratings as well). At the end of the day, it’s the capacitor in the adapter that counts (larger adapters which have larger capacitors), to rescue you from that half cycle (when your UPS switches to battery) that your current adapter isn’t discharging on properly.

u need electronic supply. adopter comes with shiro is transformer based. u need a electronic supply. i was facing the same problem i have change the supply now its working fine. u can demand 9volt electronic supply from market

As a matter of fact yes - Note that you have to go for the ones which are larger in size (since they come in with lower current ratings as well). At the end of the day, it’s the capacitor in the adapter that counts (larger adapters which have larger capacitors), to rescue you from that half cycle (when your UPS switches to battery) that your current adapter isn’t discharging on properly.

[/quote]

This is very helpful - will get one today and post results. Thanks.

u need electronic supply. adopter comes with shiro is transformer based. u need a electronic supply. i was facing the same problem i have change the supply now its working fine. u can demand 9volt electronic supply from market
[/quote]

Thanks for writing - not sure I understand what the difference is between an “electronic supply” and an adapter - I thought they’re one and the same. Can you tell me where I can get this? (I’m in Karachi)

Ok, here's the feedback: went to Bahadurabad and picked up a (rather big and ugly looking) multivoltage adapter rated at 1 A (1000mA) for a mammoth Rs. 230, set it at 9V and connected it to the Shiro modem. The original Shiro adapter was rated at 9V, 500 mA.

So far, working fine. Seems like you smart folks were right. Thanks for the help.

On a seperate note, I have an older Zyxel 600 modem (from a prior Multinet connection). Is this modem better? Should I attempt to configure this one for PTCL ?

Well, first, you need to learn the basic difference in layman's terms:

INVERTER vs UPS

While both provide backup power during mains outage, with the UPS the switch is instantaneous whereas with the Inverter there is a gap of a second or two. This gap is OK for household gadgets such as lights, fans, fridge, etc. but not OK for computers.

Ok, here's the feedback: went to Bahadurabad and picked up a (rather big and ugly looking) multivoltage adapter rated at 1 A (1000mA) for a mammoth Rs. 230, set it at 9V and connected it to the Shiro modem. The original Shiro adapter was rated at 9V, 500 mA.

So far, working fine. Seems like you smart folks were right. Thanks for the help.

On a seperate note, I have an older Zyxel 600 modem (from a prior Multinet connection). Is this modem better? Should I attempt to configure this one for PTCL ?

[/quote]

As long as it makes ur modem work, keep that ugliness under the table ;-)

Computers & networking devices are always prone to slightest of the nanoseconds in electricity outages. All electronic devices work in DC and if your devices are feeling jolts of loadsheddings, the issue might be that power adapter is not converting AC to DC fast enough. So, modem gets restarted. AS SIMPLE AS THAT!

[P.S.] Just to add to this valuable info UPS provides the pure sine wave AC but this is not in the case of Inverter so there are chances that Inverter might damage the complex electronic circuitry of computer. But nowadays, inverters are coming with constant sine wave AC, so you should know what inverter you are using.

just get a good adapter with better amperage. thats it.

or... just use dialup!

or… just use dialup!
[/quote]

ok first a useless speech about UPSs and inverters and now another useless suggestion.

Ok, here’s the feedback: went to Bahadurabad and picked up a (rather big and ugly looking) multivoltage adapter rated at 1 A (1000mA) for a mammoth Rs. 230, set it at 9V and connected it to the Shiro modem. The original Shiro adapter was rated at 9V, 500 mA.

[/quote]

Big and ugly - sounds like the right description :) Glad that it worked out!

you need adopter like which comes with hp scanners and printers, which do not have transformer, these are available in market, these are light weight adopter, u can get any good scanner supply from market easily which will solve your problem

ok i have the same problem. i got an adapter rated: 9V 1000mA, but the shiro one is: 9V 500mA. can i use it even though its 500mA more than the shiro one?

ok i have the same problem. i got an adapter rated: 9V 1000mA, but the shiro one is: 9V 500mA. can i use it even though its 500mA more than the shiro one?
[/quote]

thank you guys for not replying… anyway i tried and it works fine.

Try posting it in PTCL DSL problems coz most of the users follow those.