Shiro modem and TPLink wireless router issues

hi;

I need some help please. I had been trying to get his combo going for past 2 days and i had been failing miserably!

I have a shiro modem using pppoe and its ip is 192.168.1.1. My tplink belongs to the same subnet having the ip 192.168.1.2.

My work laptop uses 192.168.1.3 and my other lap top uses 192.168.1.4 ip. Their default gateway is 192.168.1.2.

I tried both; terminating my ether cable from the modem into the WAN port on tplink. if i do so, i fail to access the modem admin page from my laptp. If i terminate the ethernet cable from the modem into a LAN port on my tplink router, i do get access to the modem admin page and also to the tp link admin page (can someone tell me why this happens).

Secondly, if the the laptops are told to get an ip dynamically from tplink router, they fail to get one (although dhcp is enabled on that). Wirless connection with my laptops would not get established if dhcp is used on the tplink router.

I am also unable to access the internet. I am not sure how would the tplink router get the traffic out via the modem. Modem gets its own public ip from the ISP on dhcp.

If tplink is set ti get an ip dynamically, it fails to get one from the modem because modem has pppoe running on it.

please advise me what is wrong here?

regards

Connect Ethernet cable with anyone LAN port(4ports available) instead of WAN port. Dont configure WAN.

I also confused to configure with WAN port.

And make Router IP as 192.168.1.1

Now both your Modem & Router on same IP (192.168.1.1).

Surely it works.

^ that wont work two different devices cant use the same ip address it causes a conflict

heres a simple thing to do plug the modems lan cable into the wan port then run the quick setup in the TP link interface then when the option for ip comes set it as dynamic next is the wireless setup like the SSID n stuff

and ur done ur internet will now be shared over wifi

edit forgot to mention one thing keep the router and modem on a different subnet

my setup is modem on 192.168.0.1 and router on 192.168.1.1

Thanks Ruhan;

is your modem using a class less ip?

regards

^ yes

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Connect Ethernet cable with anyone LAN port(4ports available) instead of WAN port. Dont configure WAN.

I also confused to configure with WAN port.

And make Router IP as 192.168.1.1

Now both your Modem & Router on same IP (192.168.1.1).

Surely it works.

[/quote]

You are right , this is working without any problem, but is not proper way.

Ahsan

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ that wont work two different devices cant use the same ip address it causes a conflict

heres a simple thing to do plug the modems lan cable into the wan port then run the quick setup in the TP link interface then when the option for ip comes set it as dynamic next is the wireless setup like the SSID n stuff

and ur done ur internet will now be shared over wifi

edit forgot to mention one thing keep the router and modem on a different subnet

my setup is modem on 192.168.0.1 and router on 192.168.1.1

[/quote]

dear my zte modem is at 192.168.1 and TP link now at 192.168.0.1/255.255.0.0 but the cable from modem to tplink is in the switch port . Its working fine , but it does not not work when i put the cable in WAN of tplink.

dhcp in ptcl router is ON. and tplink is set for dynamic ip.

Ahsan

@Ruhaan;

what are your exact WAN settings on tp link? have you enabled dhcp on ptcl modem? i try to do it on shiro modem but it fails and everything breaks!!! not sure what am i doing wrong.

regards