Sharing 1 PTCL DSL connection on 2 PCs

I have 2 PCs and a laptop, how can i use the same PTCL DSL connection on all 3 or at least 2 computers at the same time.

If possible please give details about any hardware that would be required.

get a switch and cat5 cable and connect your dsl modem to the switch and then all your systems in the switch and now enable dhcp in your dsl modem and you are good to go

or if you want to share internet ONLY, get a wifi router. will save u all the cable hassle and your laptop probably will have wifi already. but its gonna cost more than the wired solution and not a good idea if u want more than internet on ur LAN

are there any switch available that have wi-fi router in them ? if yes then please give a link or detail

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

’]are there any switch available that have wi-fi router in them ? if yes then please give a link or detail
[/quote]

there is no such thing as a switch with a router

however there are routers that come with switches

the WRT54GL is a wireless router with a built in four port switch

WRT54GC is also wireless router with a built in four port switch and is very compact (internal antenna).

There are also some ADSL modems with built in wireless router and four port switch like Netgear DG834G or Belkin ADSL Modem with Built-in 125g Wireless Router.

thanks for all this info, i have few more questions before i buy and set this LAN,

1) Does PTCL or LDN offer multiport ADSL routers.

2) How can i find the maximum speed of my LAN cards (Laptop has 1gbps and if desktop also has 1gbps then i might buy 1gbps switch)

3)Power required for Switch (with 802.11) is low (in same range as DSL router) [i will run both DSL and Switch on UPS]

4) what is the min. range and speed of 802.11/b/g, i want to use 1mbps DSL at home, will i be able to get full speed at distance of 40 meters (there will be atleast 2 walls between switch and laptop).

5)Can I buy DSL router with atleast 2 RJ-45 ports and any of these 802.11a/b/g/n in Lahore ?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

’]thanks for all this info, i have few more questions before i buy and set this LAN,

1) Does PTCL or LDN offer multiport ADSL routers.

2) How can i find the maximum speed of my LAN cards (Laptop has 1gbps and if desktop also has 1gbps then i might buy 1gbps switch)

3)Power required for Switch (with 802.11) is low (in same range as DSL router) [i will run both DSL and Switch on UPS]

4) what is the min. range and speed of 802.11/b/g, i want to use 1mbps DSL at home, will i be able to get full speed at distance of 40 meters (there will be atleast 2 walls between switch and laptop).

5)Can I buy DSL router with atleast 2 RJ-45 ports and any of these 802.11a/b/g/n in Lahore ?

[/quote]

Most WRouters can also work as standalone switches… u can turn their Wirless Radio off.

For question no 1 :

Yes ptcl does offer a multi port router… dun know abt link.net

Question no 2:

1Gbps routers / switches are expensive… not to mention hard to find. You would be much better off with a direct connection b/w desktop and laptop when ever u desire to go 1GBPS

Q3:

Max i cant get out of my D-Link Di624 802.11g is 20 meters… By full speed if u mean theoratical speed which is 54Mbps for g and Arnd 11Mbps for b … no u cant get the max speed mentioned on the box… It would be around 10-20mbps mark if ur lucky with ur g router and 3-5mbps for ur b standard router… Which is pretty much ok with most users… It get even slower if u opt to use Encryption on ur wireless AP.

Q5:

Prbly yes :P