Setup a forum webpage uptime

Keeping in view of the sad incident which removed forums database.. still such things are expected in the world of internet. bring back punbb for the sake of speed isnt the best idea overall..secured forums take the priority over speed always.

when the forum is hacked pings by (www.siteuptime.com) will tell the forum is up.. owever if the monitered URL (secret ) is a forum thread then removing database will remove that monitored thread too.. thus thus database removal will intiate the siteuptime.com email/sms alert which can be forwarded to multiple admins whoever is online.

This might not save the database but it will atleast help u find out at what time database was removed or site stopped functioning and u can trace back..

just a suggestion which might help in future.. lets ssay what log analyzer tells

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

bring back punbb for the sake of speed isnt the best idea overall…secured forums take the priority over speed always.
[/quote]

well, the punBB team sure must have done alot of work to cope with the issues, this version seems newer so it must be secure.

all i would suggest is to stick with punBB caz for slow connection users like me, the forum would take hours to load. vBulletin pages are too ‘heavy’ for a cdma connection like mine :-/ … so speed should be a priority also so users wont have headaches viewing the forums

well, the punBB team sure must have done alot of work to cope with the issues, this version seems newer so it must be secure.

all i would suggest is to stick with punBB caz for slow connection users like me, the forum would take hours to load. vBulletin pages are too ‘heavy’ for a cdma connection like mine :-/ … so speed should be a priority also so users wont have headaches viewing the forums

[/quote]

i think there exist Low graphic versions Options in all Forum softwares … enable it to enter the TEXT only mode.

The problem isn't with PunBB, really. It's about keeping your software up to date. Practically speaking, PunBB has had less exploits than many of the other forum softwares around. Besides, there weren't too many releases either and thus keeping the software updated wasn't really a tough job.

Frequent backups and updates are now well-known chores for administrators, with the former usually done in automation.

it was in part the automated backup culprit for wipeout of WP database as KO mentioned in one of his posts by the time he knew about the disaster old backup was overwritten with new hacked one.

it was in part the automated backup culprit for wipeout of WP database as KO mentioned in one of his posts by the time he knew about the disaster old backup was overwritten with new hacked one.
[/quote]

That’s the backup automation setup to blame. Most sophisticated backup systems create new backups and keep old backups while deleting any backups older than X days – to preserve space.

I'm now setting up a backup system which will have multiple copies - a nightly, than three days, weekly, 2 weeks, than a month ... so about 5 copies in all - that should fix the rewriting issue.

Punbb has a lot less security vulnerabilities discovered than most of the more common forum software, it's just that it needs to be updated as and when new versions arrive.

Another option in back-up systems should be to NOT overwrite existing backup if the new backup size is comparatively too small than the last one.

I'm now setting up a backup system which will have multiple copies - a nightly, than three days, weekly, 2 weeks, than a month ... so about 5 copies in all - that should fix the rewriting issue.

Punbb has a lot less security vulnerabilities discovered than most of the more common forum software, it's just that it needs to be updated as and when new versions arrive.

[/quote]

I will suggest to keep the backup files elsewhere than the server which is hosting the forums.

with all forum text based.. a zipped or gziped file can easily b sent to Email account using Cron job.