Sending a Laptop to Pakistan

i live in the US and want to send a laptop to my parents in islamabad. i am planning to use fedex. i am not sure if there are going to be any custom charges on it. anybody have any experience? i would assume that fedex is going to deal with the customs and if there would be any charges, i will have to pay them upfront.

If there are any customs, fedex pays it for you and then collect it from recipient upon delivery. Best you can do is mark the package as gift.

my one friend once sent me some socks samples from USA he paid $18 fee there in USA for 2 pairs , and when i recived that in Lahore i paid around 150 rs too , so i think your parents will have to pay some fee .

Yes your parents will have to pay duty, you can send them the cash later after they have paid the courier guy.

i think marking as Gift will save the duty

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i think marking as Gift will save the duty
[/quote]

I don’t think labeling something as a Gift is an exemption of duty. If there is any such rule then its very good.

thanks for the reply guys. any idea how much duty would it be? i think i read somewhere it is 6% on computers. 6% is not too bad. i just don't want to pay anymore than what is due....

i will still mark it as a gift

bring it with u, kthanksbye.

^yes that would have been the best but i will not be visiting in a couple of years..............

do let us know what you'll do and how much duty you or your parents end up paying.

i think 1 laoptop is allowed to carry with you at the airport without any duty while you are coming from abroad thats what the khapias are doing now days sending one laptop with the passenger and charging 2000 rps from the sender per laptop from dubai so my idea is there will not be any duties i guess just the CAA charges and other stuff

Expect to pay around 25% of value as duty. It works well as a general purpose formula for duty calculation.

tell your parents to call fed ex or dhl and get the idea about the laptops in Pakistan i think this would would be the best way to know exact amount to be paid for the laptops if there is any ?

i just called fedex in pak and the guy said there would be a 20% tax charge. the custom duty is 0 on laptop (as mentioned in the custom tariff at http://www.fbr.gov.pk/newcu/TARIFF/Tarrif200920010.asp)

i just called fedex in pak and the guy said there would be a 20% tax charge. the custom duty is 0 on laptop (as mentioned in the custom tariff at http://www.fbr.gov.pk/newcu/TARIFF/Tarrif200920010.asp)
[/quote]

What kind of tax is that then?

Can u also tell us the courier cost?

What kind of tax is that then?

[/quote]

i don’t remember what he called it

Can u also tell us the courier cost?
[/quote]

based on the package being 8lbs it is ~$170.

Why not ask some one to buy the same laptop in pak? That will be cheap and also safe secure transaction unless the model you chose is not available here.