SATA vs. ATA Hard disks

when i use an extra ATA hard disk with a SATA hard disk (Master), the ATA Hard disk does not work. Any solutions???

AHCI/IDE mode trouble in bios?

no

Load Default Value of Your Bios may it works and if not then Change Your Jumper or Cable setting master/slave , primary/secondry ???

all possibilities with jumper changes have been checked but no way

which motherboard are you using ?

intel d945gcnl

simply we can say ATA hard disk is not detected

This motherboard has only one ide port. and it has four sata ports. so sata does not need to interfere with the IDE harddisk. try checking if any other IDE harddisk is working. if others are working then ur IDE hdd is faulty, otherwise there is some problem with ur motherboard or settings.

dude did u tweak the jumpers on sata drive??? cuz u wrote:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
SATA hard disk (Master)
[/quote]

it works i have used them on intel boards too. i myself have 40gb ATA and 80gb SATA which i use on my asus + amd pc.......

yes i changed and even removed the jumper but no way.

but separately both hard disks work fine

yes i changed and even removed the jumper but no way.

but separately both hard disks work fine

[/quote]

dude you do not need to change the jumper setins for sata make it as it was when u bhought it… i m sure it will work…

is it a power supply fault?

to check it install both hardisk and remove some other thing like cd rom etc and if both hardrive work fine then change your power supply with a higher capacity one!

but both hard drives work fine when put in different pc's

hello are both hard disk detected by the BIOS when used together? If yes and one simply doesn't show up in the Operating System then the problem maybe with your OS. If no then the problem is with the mobo or your BIOS settings.

both hard disks are detected by BIOS but not shown in OS (vista),

and sometimes not even detected by BIOS and in this case the system does not boot.

both hard disks are detected by BIOS but not shown in OS (vista),

and sometimes not even detected by BIOS and in this case the system does not boot.

[/quote]

If both hard disks are not detected by your mobo’s BIOS then the problem is with your mobo. I found just one thread about this particular problem:

www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?p=105393

If you can make the BIOS remember both the hard disks by saving the settings then you could try alternative OS like Linux live cd or windows XP. If the hard disks show up in these other OS then the problem is with vista.

Right Click My Computer > Click On Manage > storage > See if it shown there

but both hard drives work fine when put in different pc’s
[/quote]

just try doing that!

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=36508#p36508

it happened to one time when i use my brothers hard disk to copy something all i did was enter bios and use my sata disk (my own which had my operating system) as 1st and my brothers as secondary. restarted it and worked fine.....