Samsung Star S5230 Handset WAP doesn't work with Mobilink Jazz? WTH?

hi,

recently got one of the latest handsets available in the market, the s5230 and was shocked to find out that even though it's a gprs-enabled set, mobilink, for some STUPID reason doesn't have it on their stupid list! and so they can't send me the settings to connect with wap. tried to get in touch with them about the issue twice through their helpline and each time the rep who called me back said it's not on our list, you need to visit our customer service center... what the hell?

has anyone been able to browse the internet/send or receive emails etc using wap with this handset? if so, with which service provider and can you share your wap settings?

thanks

try this

http://pk.samsungmobile.com/supports/configurephone/configurePhoneSettingLanding.do?&menuIdBody=00000000000008&menuIdTop=00000000000003

1-Accept the terms & conditions

2-Choose handset model Samsung S5230

3-Choose settings from(WAP, MMS, Internet, Streaming Access Point)

4-Choose Country Pakistan

5-Choose Network (as yours Mobilink).

6-Select a service provider as 'Mobilink' for indigo or 'Jazz' for Jazz

7-Enter the Security Number and enter your phone number in international format like '+92300xxxxxxx' and Press Send.

you will receive the settings SMS on your phone just save as you do with the Settings SMS from Mobilink

and simply to avail all settings for services WAP, MMS, and Internet, repeat all the steps and in step 3 choose the service which you want.

I hope it will help. but I dont trust your handset being a Samsung. I tried to help a friend with another model without any success yet.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

try this

http://pk.samsungmobile.com/supports/configurephone/configurePhoneSettingLanding.do?&menuIdBody=00000000000008&menuIdTop=00000000000003

1-Accept the terms & conditions

2-Choose handset model Samsung S5230

[/quote]

bellskar, whoever you are, i have just one thing to say to you: YOU DA MAN, MAN!!! :D you just managed to help get my email working on the new handset, something which the idiots working at mobilink failed to do (coz apparently according to them, “we don’t have the settings for your handset”). thanks so much!

i followed the url you provided and it worked like a CHARM. tried the wap settings first, got the sms in mins but unfortunately that didn’t get my mail working. then tried the “internet” settings, saved and applied them and voila, i was able to send and receive/download emails from my pop3/smtp server without any problems. and here i was thinking that it’s high time i switched to another provider (such as ufone or any other that’s able to help me get my email/internet up and running without asking me to visit their service center for something as simple as that…come on ppl, this is 2009 NOT 1909!!! suckers!!!) and thought i’d post here to see if anyone had any experience with this. i must say, i didn’t expect to find a solution (and especially not this fast) as i didn’t think many ppl would be using this particular handset. but was i impressed? oh boy oh boy.

thanks again for your help on this, bellskar. no wonder you’re “platinum” on these forums. great work and most appreciated my friend!

and to think that all MAYBElink had to do for one of the latest and if i’m not mistaken, a popular handset, was to provide the link which you posted above either on their website or direct its customers to visit that link and follow the on-screen instructions if they were too lazy to put them up on their site and update their manuals… also, just fyi, they didn’t even send me an sms with the settings and stuff coz they were “unable to do so” for the reason i listed above. that’s just lame.

bellskar, whoever you are, i have just one thing to say to you: YOU DA MAN, MAN!!! :D you just managed to help get my email working on the new handset, something which the idiots working at mobilink failed to do (coz apparently according to them, “we don’t have the settings for your handset”). thanks so much!
[/quote]

you are welcome… thanks for your such an appreciation.

tried the wap settings first, got the sms in mins but unfortunately that didn’t get my mail working. then tried the “internet” settings, saved and applied them and voila, i was able to send and receive/download emails from my pop3/smtp server without any problems.
[/quote]

and yes email on pop3/smtp works with Internet GPRS service provider. not with WAP service provider.

can anyone tell me if there's a way to forward emails received in any regular mailbox, such as google mail, to a mobilink jazz number? mobilink used to provide this service a couple of yrs ago (it was called email2sms) but they seem to have blocked it. thing is, i want to receive an sms alert whenever i get an email in my inbox... if anyone has any ideas on how to achieve this, i'd appreciate it.

thanks

^It still supports with Mobilink Indigo, not sure with Jazz.

and that works like.... just set your original mailbox to forward alerts/emails on yournumber@mobilinkgsm.com. if your email service provider doesn't give SMS alert facility specifically

and if your email service provider gives an option to alert you via SMS then there must be an option to give them your mobile number or your mobile email.

you can not use these services if you are not able to get email on "yourmobilinknumber@mobilinkgsm.com"

yes, that's what i've heard from them as well although most of their support reps don't even know what i'm talking about when i ask them thru their helpline. they just say "no sir, we don't offer any such service (so please switch to zong or ufone, something they should add) the reason i dont want to switch to post-paid is that that will just make it easier for them to over charge at will and add bogus charges to my bill for calls/bandwidth i haven't used, esp if i'm going to use email and stuff. with pre-paid, at least you have some control over it.

^I don't think so. instead with Post-Paid you have more lined-up and detailed billing information that you can verify easily if you want.

and I bet you give more to the companies for what you use with Pre-Paid, without your knowledge.

> with Pre-Paid you can have a Control over it easily but you surely might be charged more than what you should be. and you don't have a clue about it nor even a record.

> and with Post-Paid, ofcourse the Control over it, is some what hard. but that purely depends on your controlability. you can control if you really want. but you are charged without any hidden charges.

I talked above about only Mobilink postpaid and prepaid.