Samsung Galaxy S II - Information required

AoA everyone

I am planning to upgrade to galaxy s2 so I need to know the following things.

1. I was told that I9100 and I9100G are available here in Pakistan. Kindly advise that which one is better and why.

2. What are the firmwares that currently Samsung is offering in s2 for Pakistani market (e.g XXKPA etc.)

3. If we go to samsung service centers like teletec and mobo, who deal in samsung phones officially, then how much do they charge, if any, to flash Pakistani firmware on phone?

Regards,

1. Google it.

2. It doesn't really matter that much; it's either generic or branded. If it's generic, then the entire world will have one firmware (exceptions do exist, but most of the generic phones in the world will be on a similar page).

3. Flash it yourself. These companies can charge thousands for something that requires you to connect your phone, and double-click on the machine. And official updates are allowed by all phone manufacturers (note the usage of "official")

1. http://blog.gsmarena...ferences-table/

2. all open Asian fw works and has CSC pre-configure settings for Pakistan

3. You can do it yourself its so easy (buy phone now and be register on XDA forums there you can follow tuts)

1. Buy the phone which has product code = i9100 exactly. No i9100G or i9100T or i9100P etc.

2. Make sure it is not manufactured in Vietnam. They have display problems.

The box will not mention the country of manufacturing. But retailers know about the batch they received from their supplier.

3. Firmware does not matter. It will be Gingerbread 2.3. That is all that matters. Note that Pakistan will be probably the last one to get an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. So make your pick wisely.

4. If you are not going to install non-official firmwares/ROM and stuff, DO NOT waste money on high end phones. A high end android retaining official junk firmware sounds just stupid, im afraid.

5. If you are getting android for the first time, get a low end phone first - like HTC Explorer. Familiarize yourself with android and buy Samsung Galaxy S3 later this year. Its announcement is around the corner. And it will carry Android ICS 4.0 out of the box.

6. If you want to buy Galaxy S 2 just for its display, drop the plan altogether. It is a battery hog at proper brightness. You will find yourself charging your phone twice a day. Instead, invest in LED TV and you wont regret it.

[quote=“saleen, post:, topic:”]

AoA everyone

I am planning to upgrade to galaxy s2 so I need to know the following things.

1. I was told that I9100 and I9100G are available here in Pakistan. Kindly advise that which one is better and why.

2. What are the firmwares that currently Samsung is offering in s2 for Pakistani market (e.g XXKPA etc.)

3. If we go to samsung service centers like teletec and mobo, who deal in samsung phones officially, then how much do they charge, if any, to flash Pakistani firmware on phone?

Regards,

[/quote]

1. i9100 (a.k.a. Samsung Galaxy S 2) is available in local market. I have seen many S2 cellphones in Saddar Market of Rawalpindi. Probably i9100G is variant of Samsung Galaxy S2. Please search on Google to get more information on the variant.

2. Why you care? Just update from cellphone and it will upgrade to the latest firmware available from Samsung. Do it on WiFi connection to save cost and speedup the download.

3. “Pakistani firmware” of Android OS? What is that? Never heard of.

Thanks to all for your input. I think I couldn't be specific about what I as asking therefore got the info that I already had.

1. I can compare the two on tons of websites. What I wanted to know was about the problems and issues. Like some problems are specific to one model etc. as highlighted by hawker.

2. I have just sold my galaxy gio. I flashed various custom/stock ROMs on it some 20-25 times or even more. But I wanted to have the official Urdu language ROM (for Pakistani market (JPKPA)) for it. Now that's not important that why did I need that. I just wanted to know about that. And I have found one on sammobile for i9100 - Pakistan.

3. This question was linked to the above question but since I have found the specific firmware for Pakistan, this answer to this is no more needed. Firmware that is currently being sold in S2 by Samsung in Pakistan = Pakistani firmware (wampyr)

I'm absolutely not new to android. I've been into it now for a pretty good time. Reason to get S2 is just to upgrade to a top notch set with excellent hardware. Display is an added advantage but not the only reason to get S2.

[quote=“wampyr, post:5, topic:16535”]

1. i9100 (a.k.a. Samsung Galaxy S 2) is available in local market. I have seen many S2 cellphones in Saddar Market of Rawalpindi. Probably i9100G is variant of Samsung Galaxy S2. Please search on Google to get more information on the variant.

2. Why you care? Just update from cellphone and it will upgrade to the latest firmware available from Samsung. Do it on WiFi connection to save cost and speedup the download.

3. “Pakistani firmware” of Android OS? What is that? Never heard of.

[/quote]

Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II vs Samsung I9100G Galaxy S II – know the differences [TABLE]

[quote=“saleen, post:6, topic:16535”]

Thanks to all for your input. I think I couldn’t be specific about what I as asking therefore got the info that I already had.

1. I can compare the two on tons of websites. What I wanted to know was about the problems and issues. Like some problems are specific to one model etc. as highlighted by hawker.

2. I have just sold my galaxy gio. I flashed various custom/stock ROMs on it some 20-25 times or even more. But I wanted to have the official Urdu language ROM (for Pakistani market (JPKPA)) for it. Now that’s not important that why did I need that. I just wanted to know about that. And I have found one on sammobile for i9100 - Pakistan.

3. This question was linked to the above question but since I have found the specific firmware for Pakistan, this answer to this is no more needed. Firmware that is currently being sold in S2 by Samsung in Pakistan = Pakistani firmware (wampyr)

I’m absolutely not new to android. I’ve been into it now for a pretty good time. Reason to get S2 is just to upgrade to a top notch set with excellent hardware. Display is an added advantage but not the only reason to get S2.

[/quote]

You can just change the language to urdu in your language setting. This is can be done with any firmware I think.

^ only Asian and Middle eastern firmwares has Urdu keyboard!!! why the fcuk European and American people needs urdu keyboard in mobile?

Not all Gingerbread ROMs support the Arabic script. Some have made patches, some do. So... it's a little dicey.

Ice Cream Sandwich, on the other hand, supports the Arabic script (not the Persian script - which has more letters such as "chay" in Urdu) out of the box.

Eitherway, you'll probably get an ICS update in March. It doesn't matter whether you get it OTA or not - cause people tend to upload the firmware online and you can get it manually - still won't void your warranty since it's official (unless Samsung says otherwise).

I surveyed the whole hafeez center and a few other shops today. Every where I found I9100G with teletec warranty. A couple of shops showed me I9100 (non-G) but they were packed by some unknown company "telekom". I searched on the internet but couldn't find it.

I then searched on the internet about G variant of S2 and found out that it hangs when camera is being used and its laggy when music is being played. Majority of people have reported this problem and they have said that not a single day passes without having them restarting their G. Also, it has very low popularity among developers and I have read that only 2 custom ROMs have been made so far. That's why I dropped the idea of getting S2 today.

So, kindly share your experience, if you have, of G variant of S2 and advise that how much this set hangs and lags and should one even buy this in first place? My other options are HTC Sensation XE and used iPhone4s.

Also please shed some light on it.

1. Which company, if any, provides warranty service for iPhones sold here in Pakistan?

2. Any authorized iPhone retailers in Lahore?

Regards,

While this post may not pertain to the S2, I definitely have my eyes on the Xperia lineup now. Those things seem to be solid devices as well.

As for the hangs in the S2 - there can be a variety of reasons. I have read that the variant was introduced so that they could improve on the bugs and all - but I haven't done much search on it. The Xperia phones are just gorgeous!

Anyway, back on topic...

I have bought galaxy s2 i9100.

Mods may close the topic as my purpose is fulfilled.

add some pics some thoughts of your own. Will be helpful for someone else.

Did you buy one with the local !@#$ warranty?

Remove the battery, and check where was it manufactured.

So far, ive seen these possibilities..

Made in Korea

Made in China

Made by Samsung

And add what you like and don't like about the GS2 as well.

[quote=“hawker, post:14, topic:16535”]

add some pics some thoughts of your own. Will be helpful for someone else.

Did you buy one with the local !@#$ warranty?

Remove the battery, and check where was it manufactured.

So far, ive seen these possibilities…

Made in Korea

Made in China

Made by Samsung

[/quote]

I’ll add the pix tomorrow. Its not under Pakistani warranty since its a non-G variant. I read lots of negative reviews of G variant (mainly about hanging/restarting and lagging issues) across many forums which compelled me to avoid G variant. Hence, I bought the original i9100 version. In Pakistani warranty, you can’t buy non-G version now.

The one I bought is Made by Samsung.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
And add what you like and don’t like about the GS2 as well.
[/quote]

So far I like everything except the design. Its just so simple. This is Samsung’s flagship model. It should’ve been designed in a different manner. But that’s just me.

I’ll post a comprehensive feedback, based on my experience, soon!

what was the price ?