Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5

Which one you could choose if the price was exactly the same ?

Note 3

[quote=", post:2, topic:21325"]

Note 3

[/quote]

Any Particular reason ?

Using S4 for about an year, S5 is very similar to S4

I'd suggest getting an M8 instead if budget's not an issue.

And i would suggest the just launched LG G3 without any further consideration needed. For the same price range, it literally beats down S5/Note-3/HTC-M8/Sony-Z4. It's the perfect phablet made until yet. And it's also one of the finest looking devices available these days. B)

[quote="jDk, post:5, topic:21325"]

I'd suggest getting an M8 instead if budget's not an issue.

[/quote]

You ***** :angry: this is a Samsung fanboys club :P

On a serious note, It is not within budget. Galaxy S5 is on Sale in particular store (not in Pakistan) so that is why I asked.

[quote="Upsilon, post:6, topic:21325"]

And i would suggest the just launched LG G3 without any further consideration needed. For the same price range, it literally beats down S5/Note-3/HTC-M8/Sony-Z4. It's the perfect phablet made until yet. And it's also one of the finest looking devices available these days. B)

[/quote]

AFAIK that person will not like LG's buttons at the back approach. Otherwise it has got one of the best screen in terms of resolution but Galaxy S5's Super Amoled is best OLED to date in a phone. Personally I do love LG's Manual focus but Samsung hardware buttons are a treat in itself.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:7, topic:21325”]

AFAIK that person will not like LG's buttons at the back approach. Otherwise it has got one of the best screen in terms of resolution but Galaxy S5's Super Amoled is best OLED to date in a phone. Personally I do love LG's Manual focus but Samsung hardware buttons are a treat in itself.

[/quote]

Speaking strictly for myself, i really like the concept of lock/volume keys at the back instead of the sides on larger phones, much more convenient to use really. Also, I'd take a higher resolution LED over a lower resolution OLED/AMOLED any day of the week. The amazing 534 ppi display would really make a huge improvement in web-browsing & ebook reading. Also, the cam with laser focus on the device is pretty great. Take a look at these samples: 1, 2, 3. Here's a 2160p video sample as well: [DOWNLOAD]

Seriously, this device is king at the moment.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:8, topic:21325”]

Speaking strictly for myself, i really like the concept of lock/volume keys at the back instead of the sides on larger phones, much more convenient to use really. Also, I'd take a higher resolution LED over a lower resolution OLED/AMOLED any day of the week. The amazing 534 ppi display would really make a huge improvement in web-browsing & ebook reading. Also, the cam with laser focus on the device is pretty great. Take a look at these samples: 1, 2, 3. Here's a 2160p video sample as well: [DOWNLOAD]

Seriously, this device is king at the moment.

[/quote]

many reviewers have described LG G3's 534ppi display as unnecessary wastage. LG G3 display struggles in almost every department, Brightness, power saving, contrast, viewing angles, colour accuracy etc

While Samsung Galaxy S5's display is best OLED display in a phone, even better than many LCDs, it has been described as best display even by the fiercest critics of Samsung. The color accuracy is top of the line, only Google's phone have better color accuracy .

Minimum brightness is 1-2 nits which is great for reading in dark.

maximum brightness for Galaxy S5 is 440 nits outdoor compared to 390 for LG G3.

Anyway, LG G3 cost way more than Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3 and HTC One M8 in that store and isn't included in the Sales offer, so we discussing it for academic purposes only. :)

1 alphabet... one numerical..

M

The end.. B)

PS: i am a samsung fanboy./. even then.. M8 = :wub: :wub:

[quote=“yousaf465, post:9, topic:21325”]

many reviewers have described LG G3's 534ppi display as unnecessary wastage. LG G3 display struggles in almost every department, Brightness, power saving, contrast, viewing angles, colour accuracy etc

While Samsung Galaxy S5's display is best OLED display in a phone, even better than many LCDs, it has been described as best display even by the fiercest critics of Samsung. The color accuracy is top of the line, only Google's phone have better color accuracy .

Minimum brightness is 1-2 nits which is great for reading in dark.

maximum brightness for Galaxy S5 is 440 nits outdoor compared to 390 for LG G3.

Anyway, LG G3 cost way more than Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3 and HTC One M8 in that store and isn't included in the Sales offer, so we discussing it for academic purposes only. :)

[/quote]

I trust GSMArena over any other mobile review website, and here's what they have to say on this matter:

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
Displays

Going into this shootout, you'd expect that it's pretty clear which of the two devices will have a distinct advantage when it comes to display fidelity. But before we go declaring the winner outright, let's keep in mind that there's more to a screen than the number of pixels it has. Contrast, colors, and sunlight legibility all factor into how good a particular display is, and we'll be taking everything into account before we give a final verdict.

gsmarena_021.jpg

The two displays side-by-side

Both phones represent each company's screen-making expertise. Samsung put their Super AMOLED display on the Galaxy S5, while the LG G3 sports a True HD-IPS + LCD.

The Galaxy S5 has a 5.1" screen of 1080p resolution and 432ppi. The G3's panel is of 1440 x 2560px resolution, which at 5.5" comes out to a pixel density of about 534ppi. Looking at them both under our microscope under the same magnification, you can clearly see which one is which.

lg-g3.jpgsamsung-galaxy-s5.jpg

Samsung took several years to perfect Super AMOLED for it to finally offer the most accurate colors in the market. Using the display mode settings you can tweak that to a more saturated look if you prefer. It has excellent viewing angles and practically infinite contrast too.

The G3 is another story, however, as it's markedly worse both at 50% and 100% brightness. At 100% brightness the black luminance is among the highest we've seen, while the whites are markedly dimmer than on the G2. Here's how it stacks up to other top flagships:

Display test 50% brightness 100% brightness Black, cd/m2 White, cd/m2 Contrast ratio Black, cd/m2 White, cd/m2 Contrast ratio LG G3 0.14 109 763 0.72 570 789 Samsung Galaxy S5 0 274 0 529 Sony Xperia Z2 - - - 0.41 488 1195 Sony Xperia Z1 - - - 0.38 580 1513 Sony Xperia Z - - - 0.70 492 705 Oppo Find 7a 0.33 280 842 0.68 580 852 Samsung Galaxy S4 0 201 ∞ 0 404 ∞ HTC One (M8) 0.20 245 1219 0.46 577 1256 LG G2 0.10 149 1522 0.45 667 1495 HTC Butterfly S 0.15 165 1117 0.43 451 1044 Apple iPhone 5 0.13 200 1490 0.48 640 1320

The two screens differ wildly in sunlight legibility as well. The S5 is among the best we've seen in the current batch of flagships, while the LG G3's highly reflective display will make it a challenge to make out in bright environments.

Sunlight contrast ratio
  • Nokia 808 PureView4.698
  • Apple iPhone 53.997
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 33.997
  • Samsung Galaxy S53.549
  • Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III3.419
  • Nokia Lumia 9253.402
  • Samsung I9505 Galaxy S43.352
  • Samsung Omnia W3.301
  • Samsung Galaxy S3.155
  • LG G31.820
  • Samsung Galaxy mini 21.114

We've also seen Samsung's Air View, which detects your finger at about an inch distance thanks to its highly sensitive digitizer. It triggers special previews of image folders, messages and calendar events.

Winner: LG G3. Despite its inferior color, contrast, and sunlight legibility, the bigger screen diagonal and the higher resolution still has its say at the end of the day. The QHD resolution may not be readily apparent when it comes to browsing the interface, but it does make a difference when you see the ultra-crisp text in webpages, and especially in watching QHD videos or playing games. As more QHD content becomes available, the advantage of having the G3 display will become even more pronounced.

[/quote]

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_vs_samsung_galaxy_s5-review-1092p3.php

-----

As you can see, more pixels win at the end. And no, the higher PPI is not a waste, it's only a waste to Samsung fanboys who'll change their mind when Samsung launches their own 1440p phone soon...

@farhan_ds I agree, HTC One M8 is still superior than Galaxy S5, at least it has a classy metal build to show off.

HTC has a one big flaw ,if in between updating process the wifi or 3G connection cuts off then say buh bye to ROM whereas SamSung doesnt have this prob.I have faced this issue with my HTC ONE dual sim.The hardware buttons of HTC sucks big time,they doesnt work properly after a bit usage.Whereas Samsung has no such problems.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:11, topic:21325”]

I trust GSMArena over any other mobile review website, and here's what they have to say on this matter:

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_vs_samsung_galaxy_s5-review-1092p3.php

-----

As you can see, more pixels win at the end. And no, the higher PPI is not a waste, it's only a waste to Samsung fanboys who'll change their mind when Samsung launches their own 1440p phone soon...

@farhan_ds I agree, HTC One M8 is still superior than Galaxy S5, at least it has a classy metal build to show off.

[/quote]

anandtech has to say this about LG G3's display

At any rate, this is the first time that we’ve actually used a 1440p display in a smartphone. In practice, it is possible to see more detail on the LG G3’s display, but it’s hard to tell in most cases. Examining the display closely brings out the differences much more, but it’s not quite the jump that going from 720p to 1080p was. Unfortunately, this doesn’t change the cost of increasing pixel density. As I explained in previous articles, increasing pixel density comes with a greater power cost due to the need for a stronger backlight due to lower active area on the display and smaller transistors. It’s clear that LG has had issues with this, with some rather drastic measures taken

[/quote]

Outside of just power saving measures, I've also noticed artificial sharpening. This effect is obvious enough that you will notice it immediately. As a result, halos are all over the display in certain situations, and in general I hope LG adds an option to turn this off.

[/quote]

In the maximum brightness department, LG noticeably struggles here. While the G2 had around 410 nits peak luminance, the G3 regresses to around 390 nits maximum. I didn’t find any outdoor brightness boost function in this case either. This means that outdoors, the display will be worse than 1080p devices like the One (M8) and Galaxy S5. The other issue is contrast, which is around 900:1. This isn’t actually as bad as most have made it out to be. The big issue with contrast here is how it degrades with viewing angles. In most angles, a black test image will rapidly wash out towards white when viewing the display at oblique angles

[/quote]

saturation compression is insane here. In many cases, 80% and 100% saturations are effectively identical

[/quote]

Editing photos is effectively impossible on this display because the results will look completely different on most other displays that are closer to following sRGB color standards.

[/quote]

So what is use of a such a display when you can't even use snapseed/photoshop on it ? :(

As for QHD content we need ultra high speed internet and/or Large storage space, unfortunately we don't have both. :mellow:

Anandtech was considered a samsung haters but still they have to say the following

In the Gretag Macbeth Colorchecker, Samsung continues to hold its position, beating all but Google and Apple. HTC is noticeably behind in this department compared to Samsung, as the One (M8) is horrific in this department compared to even the original HTC One.

[/quote]

as for brightness

as the Galaxy S5 now has a display that realistically reaches around 440 nits outdoors with a pure white image
[/quote]

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/6

As for HTC One M8 (not included in the sales offer @ that store) but it has got some tricks up it's sleeve. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7893/the-htc-one-m8-review/2

lack of a removable battery is big dissapointment for me.

anadtech has to say this about its display

I continue to be disappointed in the lack of attention paid to pursuing greater color accuracy among most Android OEMs
[/quote]

----

I actually have wall hugged , I know how it feels like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMUTrTYD9s

eC8PFW2.png

Let me just repeat this part:

[quote="Upsilon, post:11, topic:21325"]

I trust GSMArena over any other mobile review website

[/quote]

Nuff said. :P

-----

Anyways, back to your original question. S5 or Note 3. In which case i too would suggest Note 3 (N9005 or N9002 variants)

[quote=“Upsilon, post:14, topic:21325”]

Let me just repeat this part:

Nuff said. :P

-----

Anyways, back to your original question. S5 or Note 3. In which case i too would suggest Note 3 (N9005 or N9002 variants)

[/quote]

Gsmarena is good enough for non-geeks, not meant for Professionals :P

-----

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005

and

Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE

are on offer.

استاد نوٹ 3 اچھا ہے.. انف سڈ...

[quote=“yousaf465, post:15, topic:21325”]

Gsmarena is good enough for non-geeks, not meant for Professionals :P

-----

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005

and

Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE

are on offer.

[/quote]

That's a joke right? Cause that's a pretty ignorant comment otherwise...

Anyways, I'll drop it for the sake of peace.

The N9005 is better than SM-G900 (S5). I'm out.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:17, topic:21325”]

That's a joke right? Cause that's a pretty ignorant comment otherwise...

Anyways, I'll drop it for the sake of peace.

The N9005 is better than SM-G900 (S5). I'm out.

[/quote]

I was also a big fan of Gsmarena, and still I am but AnandTech has it own style. they go very deep into minor details, carry out extensive tests. At the end of day both are good review sites.

With 4-1 the decision is in favour of Galaxy Note 3. I think he will buy it before the offer ends.

One question remains how many of you used both Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 extensively ?

Regardless of what you get, make sure it's compatible with the 4G LTE networks of Warid/ Zong so that you don't end up changing it later.

And no offense was taken. Be at ease :P

[quote=“jDk, post:19, topic:21325”]

Regardless of what you get, make sure it's compatible with the 4G LTE networks of Warid/ Zong so that you don't end up changing it later.

And no offense was taken. Be at ease :P

[/quote]

It isn't for use in Pakistan. :)