[SAH] Roman Urdu?

Where is the rule that describes that Roman Urdu is banned from WP?

The previous forums had it (before they got hacked).

Roman Urdu is

1) hard to type

2) hard to read

3) doesn't do justice to either English or Urdu, and

4) a big pain in the butt!

Never noticed that there's a old version of the rules. will fix it.

Crappy English is much better then Roman Urdu (IMHO)

I'm sorry I didn't know the 'no roman urdu' rule was missing from the rules list. But regardless, the rule has always been there since the old forum. I think KO has already fixed. Also a general notice to everyone. Please use english, even if your command over the language isn't that great. The forum should be accessible to people of all walks of life and english has been accepted as the standard.

So please post in English, or if you want Urdu in urdu script. Sometimes people post a couple "urdu in english" words for effect in their English posts. I guess we could let that slide, but from henceforth I'm going to delete all posts in Urdu-English hybrid.

So if anyone don't write proper English and cant explain things or his/her thoughts in English...this forum is not for them?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

So if anyone don’t write proper English and cant explain things or his/her thoughts in English…this forum is not for them?
[/quote]

Then he can write in Urdu script. But not an English-Urdu combo.

Then he can write in Urdu script. But not an English-Urdu combo.

[/quote]

uedu script is allowed? I thought it was banned too

uedu script is allowed? I thought it was banned too

[/quote]

English is allowed. And Urdu is allowed. But Urdu in English script is not allowed. If anyone wants to write Urdu, he should write it in urdu (arabic) script.

English is allowed. And Urdu is allowed. But Urdu in English script is not allowed. If anyone wants to write Urdu, he should write it in urdu (arabic) script.

[/quote]

its mean he should also know how to type urdu in roman :o aww very difficult job :S

its mean he should also know how to type urdu in roman :o aww very difficult job :S
[/quote]

dohlr1.gif

there are four ways to write Urdu here:

1. Strict Roman Urdu using English Manuscript ( for eg. N and n are used for Noon and Non-gunna )

2. Loose Roman Urdu using English Manuscript ( which almost every1 use Online, no N and n discrimination )

3. Install Urdu in ur OS, switch to Urdu writing ( quite difficult if u don't know the Urdu Keyboard, or don't have Phonetic Keyboard )

4. Goto Inpage etc. software right a post there, export it to JPG or GIF and link here

If full urdu posts are allowed, i think we should allow (2) as its most easiest one and no one will have to learn some skills which are allowed for all three.

It's getting increasingly easy to write in Urdu script, as you can buy a 100Rs keyboard with urdu lettering, and Windows has support for it also.. As does Ubuntu and I think even the Mac... Microsoft word has a language plugin for Urdu, as does just about every program these days. I sometime make Urdu docs in Word, Excel and Freehand, works perfectly well once u get used to it. Likewise, as does firefox.

Here is the list of things which were prohibited in the forum rules:

* Roman Urdu, which a lot of older people have really hard times reading. A few sentences are fine, but whole essays written without punctuation and para's are (I kid you not) completely unreadable.

* All Caps - posts in ALL CAPS are always deleted

On a tangent, while Roman is used all over the place, it's just a one time effort to pick up urdu script - and it should be easier than roman script then, after all the people writing in roman urdu probably are much more comfortable with urdu script!

So, it's not that all roman urdu is banned, or anything like that, Pakistani english has morphed into a Romanized Urdu/English hybird, but just use urdu script when writing long urdu passages.

اردو لکھنا مشکل نہیں ہے۔ ہاتھ اور عقل چاہیے صرف۔

یہ جو میں نے لکھا ہے، اردو سکرپٹ کہلاتی ہے۔

امید ہے کہ اب آپ کی سمجھ میں بات آگی ہو گی۔

I like KO's effort to promote URDU script. INMHO Urdu is dying a slow death due to lack of interest from authorities. Despite being National language more than half of govt functionaries are operating on english.

Hate to butt in but your contention for not allowing Roman Urdu was this was an international forum...hence English.. Fair enough I can dig that.

But then you allow full Urdu post???? What is up with that. Now your original contention seems more like a biased opinion then a thought out policy.

Sorry but you mods are making policies that do not make sense.

I for one cannot read proper Urdu and hate posts written in poor English. Best possible way for these people would be to communicate in Roman Urdu....but then you Mods do not allow it. Why????

بس بھئی۔ بہت ہو گیا۔ آج سے میں اردو پے شفٹ کر رہا ہوں۔

جب تک بور نہیں ہوتا یا تنگ نہیں آتا، میں اردو میں ہی لکھوں گا۔

Hate to butt in but your contention for not allowing Roman Urdu was this was an international forum…hence English… Fair enough I can dig that.

But then you allow full Urdu post??? What is up with that. Now your original contention seems more like a biased opinion then a thought out policy.

I for one cannot read proper Urdu and hate posts written in poor English. Best possible way for these people would be to communicate in Roman Urdu…but then you Mods do not allow it. Why???

[/quote]

I can’t read roman urdu, thats why, so can’t moderate any of those posts.

Urdu is allowed, since a lot of posters are more comfortable with that than english.

Thanks for clearing it up, mods.

This can be closed now.

:)

Hate to butt in but your contention for not allowing Roman Urdu was this was an international forum…hence English… Fair enough I can dig that.
[/quote]

Don’t dig it. Just read the first line from the top of the page:

A Pakistani Tech forum

Hence, the use of both English and Urdu but no Roman Urdu.

But then you allow full Urdu post??? What is up with that. Now your original contention seems more like a biased opinion then a thought out policy.
[/quote]

It was never a contention, as you put it. Read the previous reply.

I for one cannot read proper Urdu and hate posts written in poor English. Best possible way for these people would be to communicate in Roman Urdu…but then you Mods do not allow it. Why???

[/quote]

Your lack of Urdu skills shouldn’t stop other members from understanding the posts. Roman Urdu is difficult to write, difficult to understand and a plain eye sore. Those are reasons enough for not allowing its use.