Safe to apply Hg-510a update patch?

Because Microsoft Security Esentials thinks it's a Tojan of some sort.

http://www.microsoft...tid=2147626769/

And anyway is there some benefit to updating the firmware?

Dont fix it if it aint broke. So, are you having problems with your current modem with current fw?

[quote=“rollmesome, post:, topic:”]

Because Microsoft Security Esentials thinks it’s a Tojan of some sort.

http://www.microsoft…tid=2147626769/

And anyway is there some benefit to updating the firmware?

[/quote]

Are you scanning the newly downloaded firmware for your Modem with MS Security Essentials ?

This is same as if you appoint me as translator to translate French–>German. I might only catch the words like “Paris”, “Sarkozi” etc.

@hawker well yeah I'm having problems. This is PTCL after all. The speed is giving me quite a bit of pain but I think that's a ports issue so will call my lineman one of these days. The major problem is with the SmartTV freezing after every 2-3 mins. This has been a problem since the beginning and there seems to be no fix. Got it checked multiple times and even got a new receiver but still nothing.

@ijaz lol I'm not manually scanning every download. Have it switched to real-time protection. So you think it's a false positive?

[quote=“rollmesome, post:4, topic:16045”]

@ijaz lol I’m not manually scanning every download. Have it switched to real-time protection. So you think it’s a false positive?

[/quote]

A windows based tool like MS Security Essentials or any other Virus/Malware detection tool will scan for virus signatures which are known and in the available database. A virus has a specific pattern (of bytes) in the file.

If by chance your downloaded firmware has some sequence of bytes which matches with the signature of some trojan, then you will definitely receive a warning. This is because the virus detection tool is assuming that the file being scanned is to be used as an application/program for Windows.

A virus written for Windows is pretty harmless on Linux or Mac.

I am sure there is no harm in using the new firmware.

@ijaz They have packaged it as an .exe file. But there's no harm in trying I guess. Thanks for the info man. Really helped.