@saadIbrahim Ubuntu, wine and office 2007 sp1 question

Saad bhai just been to your blog, pretty nice, looks like you are a heavy ubuntu user.

this question is from my older brother to you, the company my brother works for has given him genuine MS office 2007 ent ed. which he uses with WINE on Ubuntu and works pretty OK. since the software is original dvd and he want to apply SP1 update under WINE. do you know how to do that?

can't install already updated sp1 ver since key is genuine and don't want to use this key on cracked office 2007 sp1

why does he wana use SP1 under WINE. WINE is only used to run applications not emulate an entire OS

^ 'cause sp1 office 2007 update fixes more than 1000 problems and add extra functionality to office 2007. UPDATE TO ANY SOFTWARE ALWAYS MEANS THAT KNOW ISSUES ARE FIXED, nobody updates software for the fun of it duh...

and if you are confusing sp1 with OS sp1 then you are wrong, i am talking about sp1 update to MS office 2007.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9EC51594-992C-4165-A997-25DA01F388F5&displaylang=en

^oh then install the sp1 update the same way u install normal apps just double click the icon

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

why does he wana use SP1 under WINE. WINE is only used to run applications not emulate an entire OS
[/quote]

actually kudos ruhaan jslip writes the article on my site that are linux related,i guess he was being modest by not mentioning that :)

and ruhaan that Microsoft Office SP1 and not Windows Vista SP1

and ruhaan told me that Microsoft software don’t work with wine, mind confirming it ruhaan?

and kudos to make it easy for you here it is from 3289 posts to 3290, i think shouldn’t have replied coz that just increased my post count :confused:

well i said most MS software doesnt work well i havent tired MS office 2007 with wine so i cant say anythin abt it

^oh then install the sp1 update the same way u install normal apps just double click the icon
[/quote]

@kudos did office 2007 without sp1 installed fine?

@kudos did office 2007 without sp1 installed fine?

[/quote]

yes its working fine the original and not sp1 (since i haven’t installed yet) with wine no problem at all, only problem is how to apply office sp1 update to it. i am still waiting for these instructions since i was told i its tricky to install thats why i am conforming with you saad

here is independent proof for ruhanjslip as saad mentioned that ruhaan said office 2007 doesn’t work on linux

^ read my post again i said i havent tested office so i cant say anythin

yes its working fine the original and not sp1 (since i haven’t installed yet) with wine no problem at all, only problem is how to apply office sp1 update to it. i am still waiting for these instructions since i was told i its tricky to install thats why i am conforming with you saad

here is independent proof for ruhanjslip as saad mentioned that ruhaan said office 2007 doesn’t work on linux

[/quote]

just try running the installer as ruhaan said

don't blame ruhaan he just said that all the microsoft product that I tried to run with wine gave me an error, he didn't try office as he said, it was mistake