Running computer 24/7 pathos

Is any harm caused if computer remains ON 24 hours a day..??Has any1 experienced any problems while doing that and what damage can be done if the computer remains ON....????

I have seen many people running into problems with the monitor or LCD while keeping computer ON!!!So what's your point of view..??

I read somewhere that chinese power supplies might burn if you keep them on too long, dont know if good ones will last or not, mine once burnt when i left it downloading the whole night in the summer.

It should work fine if you have a good system.

i used to download stuff 24/7 (on WC wireless) but since i got DSL its no need. my pc was continuously on without any problems for 4 straight days (aur phir lite chali gai :) )

hmm...Dont capacitors in the mobo het damaged or bulged out!!!!Capacitors can cause a problem....

Not unless they are of low quality. Refer to my post above.

Computers are designed to never be turned off (even though we usually do at home). If you've seen at the workplace, workstation are usually always on, at least they are in the companies I've worked in! :)

There is no problem in running a system for many days, they are made for the purpose. If you install Windows Server, they require a reason when you shut down the PC :P

if u have good cool environment

or good cooling system

then u can turn on pc 4 as long as u can

in most cases the 1st condition is applicable

I read somewhere that there are fluorescent tubes in the monitor or LCD and they lose brightness(especially laptops) with the passage of time if they are kept ON all the time!!!!!

^ Why would you keep your monitor on all the time? Use the OS power settings to switch it off after some time.

let me narrow it down for you....

I am using IBM 'thinkcenter' bought used.... its a 2003 model and i bought it in 2006 and its 2009 now.

Its been almost a year since i got PTCL DSL and since than i don't remember turning my PC off intentionally except 1 or 2 windows installations.

It runs 24/7 non stop without any problem not even a single hardware issue of any sort. In our country, electricity is a problem and you know past year there was too much of it.

It all comes down to branded or non branded systems, branded systems are made to run 24/7, where non branded PCs don't have that strength in them due to various different/some times not compatible/ "not made for each other kinda" hardware just put together to call it a PC.

SO if you have ANY BRANDED system, your good to go just remember to turn off ur LCD/monitor in case if ur not using the system.

I won't recommend any NON BRANDED system for 24/7 usage..... they simply suck!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I read somewhere that there are fluorescent tubes in the monitor or LCD and they lose brightness(especially laptops) with the passage of time if they are kept ON all the time!!!
[/quote]

yup you heard it right.

^^ I disagree. I've actually had more problems with branded computers than with non-branded ones! As far as hardware is concerned, running a computer 24/7 is not an issue. However, the software you're using might force you to restart every once in a while. Windows has memory leaks, so you HAVE to reboot once a month or so. Firefox also has memory issues, and so on.

yup you heard it right.

[/quote]

It’s called a backlight and it does have a life. However, it shouldn’t matter as power saving features in Windows usually put the monitor on standby after a couple minutes of inactivity.

My mom tells me to shutdown my PC at nigh as it eats bijli :D

Is any harm caused if computer remains ON 24 hours a day…??Has any1 experienced any problems while doing that and what damage can be done if the computer remains ON…???

I have seen many people running into problems with the monitor or LCD while keeping computer ON!!!So what’s your point of view…??

[/quote]

Electricity in Pakistan is not clean. There are all sorts of power surges. I think you should shut down your computer once your done using it. A power surge nearly burnt my house down. Beware!

alll you need is a branded power supply... you are good to go after that... i had a p4 which was always on since 2004 till last week(when i sold it and ofcourse it was on if there was no loadshedding) .... i never had a problem... yes ofcourse ram problems sometimes but that was because i had cheap chinese ones installed... with kingston ones i never got a problem...

and asus motherboard is extermely stable... you should always buy asus with a branded power supply with good hdd(seagate or wd) ... you will always be fine...

Electricity in Pakistan is not clean. There are all sorts of power surges. I think you should shut down your computer once your done using it. A power surge nearly burnt my house down. Beware!

[/quote]

those power surges happen a lot… but that is mainly due to earthing in your own faulty lines… use a ups or a stablizer with your pc to keep it clean… turn your computer off if you are not downloading overnight…

My mom tells me to shutdown my PC at nigh as it eats bijli :D
[/quote]

u will also tel ur children same thing when u will have to pay the bill…