Run Ubuntu from Windows

Portable Ubuntu Remix is an Ubuntu system running as a Windows application.

This system is built with the Colinux Kernel, Xming X server and Pulseaudio server for Windows.

Portable Ubuntu Remix is a useful tool for when you need to use Ubuntu on an machine that has Windows as operating system.

http://portableubuntu.demonccc.cloudius.com.ar/

I know most of you already know about it, since its old news.

Okay one question why to use Ubuntu instead of Windows ? Any advantages ?

^ In Pakistan? No.

@Asad

You are right

As i was cray to install ubuntu but when i installed i didn't find anything interesting. It requires alot of coding knowledge to really enjoy its usage. Linux distro's are really usefull at server end.

^terminal commands are really important...first it gives real headache then with the passage of time,it becomes okay(more better than windows)....just like windows...

it can aslo be done with WUBI...

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Okay one question why to use Ubuntu instead of Windows ? Any advantages ?
[/quote]

Thats one of the reasons of having Portable Ubuntu. To get a feel of the power of Linux.

@ASAD

FYI, many web firms who are using open source programs/languages have installed Linux on their systems. It doesn’t make sense for them to have windows and pay for the license. As for linux support there are plenty available, even in Pakiland.

Thats one of the reasons of having Portable Ubuntu. To get a feel of the power of Linux.

[/quote]

Just use a Live CD instead.

@ASAD

FYI, many web firms who are using open source programs/languages have installed Linux on their systems. It doesn’t make sense for them to have windows and pay for the license. As for linux support there are plenty available, even in Pakiland.

[/quote]

So? I am sure they also enjoy training their staff in using Linux first and the costs in money, time and lost revenue associated with it.

So? I am sure they also enjoy training their staff in using Linux first and the costs in money, time and lost revenue associated with it.

[/quote]

On the contrary, they don’t that much at all. You gotta realize

.there are alot of linux users in Karachi,

.web developers don’t need to learn the whole linux,

.most servers in pakiland use linux,

.all junior programmers need to learn anyways,

.most pakis can’t even use windows properly,

.and finally how many people actually work in a web firm.

On the contrary, they don’t that much at all. You gotta realize

.there are alot of linux users in Karachi,

[/quote]

Karachi is not Pakistan. Pakistan is not Karachi. This remains true for the world at large too.

.web developers don’t need to learn the whole linux,
[/quote]

Learning the nuances of Linux is not the same as web programming and development.

.most servers in pakiland use linux,
[/quote]

Proof? In all the offices I have visited yet, I have rarely seen Linux deployed on a wider scale. Most servers in corporate environment use Windows Server OS, not Linux. The only place Linux is widely used is web servers for hosting, FTP, email and other web related services.

.all junior programmers need to learn anyways,
[/quote]

LOL! What a lame argument. That statement is false. Many programmers do programming without ever touching Linux.

.most pakis can’t even use windows properly,
[/quote]

Most Pakistanis do not know even what Linux is, what to talk of using it properly! :D

At least they use Windows, properly or not.

I used to be an ardent Linux fan at one time. I even used to distribute free Ubuntu CDs at my university campus in the hundreds. Eventually, I came to the realization that Linux is just that; an OS good for some specific tasks and utterly crap at others just like Windows. And the FOSS movement is crap because they just highlight the advantages of FOSS and not the disadvantages. Not really the best policy of honesty…

The companies I referred to are web firms.

.esoul is one of several web firms using linux as servers.

.97% of corporate companies around the world use win servers.

.Yes, most programmers do programming without ever touching Linux, but that doesn't mean they won't learn a thing a two, same goes for junior programmers too.

.With !@#$ users unaware of Linux n Win OS usage, learning is pretty much equal.

.Reason of these arguments are to show Linux is not a complete useless product as common Pakis are lead to believe.

.This link highlights the advantages and disadvantages(Although not complete)

http://www.unesco.org/iiep/virtualuniversity/forumsfiche.php?queryforumspages_id=5

.For Adoptionof linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open_source_software

.As for Karachi not being Pakistan, well lets keep that argument out of this tech forum.

^ Still not convinced. Pakistani users at large can still at least use Windows.

The reason of your arguments is something I already mentioned in my previous reply. Small isolated examples do not provide a realistic impression of the larger picture.

Not trying to convince anyone to leave Windows. I am just implying one should not write off linux as most Pakis do. Ubuntu Portable might be just one way to know how useful it might be for certain tasks or as a whole. By trying it, one can assess if he/she is able to use it.

I am dead sure that 99% of people here(doesnt matter how much dextrous they are at windows) cant use linux for more than a week..They will wear out very quickly..

u are true to the extent that unix is obviously more compact than windows but here who cares....!!!!

@deffary and @dogarsahab

can you please clear that why do you use Linux? if you do. please do elaborate the perfect reason for that not like (it's genuinely free, and it's secure or some thing.)

do u know what I think. most of you(not all) here in this forum are really inspired to play with Linux just because of some opinions read over here from really experts who are working in Linux(unix). Not Playing.

the reason I throw such words because you are taking Linux only for a use to compare with Windows.

people can't use linux more than a week? why did you say that? I can guess because you your self could not stay with it. or not willing to stay with it because it's not your game to play.

got my words?

no?

ok....

here it is.

man..... if one, who have not worked in linux, and really needs to WORK in Linux for some reason. he will not have an option other than working in it.

why I made the word WORK bold in above statement. because it is about a work or a job or a task that he have to perform in Linux, and that is what he has to work for a week or more than a week till than he performs the full job on it.

I have done purely windows programming from past 7 years. I never needed to work in Linux and I never touched it. but when I have had some thing with Asterisk that I couldn't do in Windows then I worked in Linux for months.... and I didn't leave it in a week.... still working in it....

the moral of the story is..... if you are just a user of windows then you will really dont like to be with Linux. nor a programmer will do unless he really needs to do with it.

One DO has to care only when it comes to the head...

And this is just like the statement by Asad that he said "Small isolated examples do not provide a realistic impression of the larger picture"

for more extent,, you can not have an idea about such a fact after collecting from some limited sources.

You will understand easily if you keep the words or terms distinct, [use, User, Player] and [Work, Expert, Programmer]

I hope this will not lead to more arguments

can you please clear that why do you use Linux? if you do. please do elaborate the perfect reason for that not like (it’s genuinely free, and it’s secure or some thing.)

[/quote]

I use linux for programming in university for data structures due to its extensive libraries…

do u know what I think. most of you(not all) here in this forum are really inspired to play with Linux just because of some opinions read over here from really experts who are working in Linux(unix). Not Playing.
[/quote]

extremely lame argument!! u cant WORK unless u are really at ease with the environment and this comes solely after PLAYING!!!So WORKING comes after PLAYING…

e.g u cant make a robot without playing with microcontrollers…

people can’t use linux more than a week? why did you say that? I can guess because you your self could not stay with it. or not willing to stay with it because it’s not your game to play.
[/quote]

r u really serious or what…???u have said that u use linux and even then u are saying this…I havent said that linux is difficult but i have pointed out that PEOPLE HERE(people of PAKISTAN) will find it much difficult to have general computing in linux…Just make a little survey and ask people how to do compilation and u will yourself realize the gravity of the situation and please come out of little CIRCLE of people around u who might be computer geeks …!!!

I never needed to work in Linux and I never touched it. but when I have had some thing with Asterisk that I couldn’t do in Windows then I worked in Linux for months… and I didn’t leave it in a week… still working in it…
[/quote]

dont make generalizations please…if u havent used linux libraries then it doesnt mean that they are useless…some people use linux solely for programming purposes…It is the matter of ease and i have found linux environment to be more powerful for C than any other compiler in windows…

i hope u must have given thought to your number of illogical arguments that dont make any sense…

^did you think... you said all what already I have pointed out in my post...

but I can say you didn't get it.

^did you think… you said all what already I have pointed out in my post…

but I can say you didn’t get it.

[/quote]

Its true, I haven’t gotten most of what he has said. If it were concise and to the point then maybe… Just kidding

Dear viewers

as our experts have pointed out, Play, analyze and then apply if needed. Use either a live CD, VmWare, or Ubuntu portable.

Kind Regards

DEFFURY