Router question

hi i want to ask you that i have a dsl connection and have a wireless card too so if i buy a router then can i access wireless connection from router by connecting my dsl connection in the router

And can you tell me what is the cheapest and good router and its price

yes u will be able to connect to the router wirelessly

the best rotuer i think is the WRT54GL from linksys its around 3200

is it the cheapest one or............................ well i thought that they would be around 1000to 2000

there are routers around 1000 to 2000 but they dont work as well

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

yes u will be able to connect to the router wirelessly

the best rotuer i think is the WRT54GL from linksys its around 3200

[/quote]

GL is PKR5400 in Pakistan. The G variant is around PKR3600, or it was when I last checked. It might have increased by now.

Edit: GL is around PKR5400, not PKR6500.

anybody using a cheaper one router

GL is PKR6500 in Pakistan. The G variant is around PKR3600, or it was when I last checked. It might have increased by now.

[/quote]

GL is around 3400-3600 and G variant is around 2800-3000

GL is around 3400-3600 and G variant is around 2800-3000

[/quote]

Sure… :rolleyes:

Galaxy has the WRT54G available for PKR3600. They don’t have WRT54GL. However, Hayat Computers has WRT54GL for PKR5400.

On Newegg, WRT54G is available for US$50 and WRT54GL is available for US$65.

dude do wth ruhaan has done... just assemble and old pc with a wireless card in it and use tht as a router....

(ruhaan u did it right??)

^ yes sk90y

its the most cheapest solution if u know what ur doin

^ yes sk90y

[/quote]

well the theory is easy enough… i dont need wireless yet… when i do i sure as hell will do this rather than buyin a router…

^ yes sk90y

[/quote]

Have you included the cost of that PC and the electricity unless you get both for free? :D

^

the pc cost around 2000 plus thousand for the wifi card

thats 3000 and it doesnt consume much it has a 230 Watt power supply

and its an old p3 so i m sure it doesnt consume much

Do give me a cost estimate for a year assuming it runs 24/7. :)

Compare that to 7-10VA (approx. same Watts) for the router. I am planning to hook it up directly to my PC supply so that it (the ADSL router, not wrt54gl) doesn't restarts during the switch from Mains to UPS. I have the leads prepared, just need to hook them up.

Anyway, what I was saying previously is that a specialized device is ultimately better in the long run than a generic device.

yes but i built the pc mainly coz i cudnt find a router with the functionality i wanted

with this pc i have almost everythin u cud need for networkin

and asad this pc ran 24/7 last month and there was only a 50 rs or so increase in our bill so i dont think it consumes alot though u r right in sayin that the WRT54gl consumes much less

^ I do know that sourcing WRT54GL was quite a problem. I had to call Hayat Computers in Karachi numerous times to arrange it through local shops even though they first told me that they didn't had it. It just isn't available in Pakistan aside from the initial stocks they obtained.

Electricity bills for each month are not the same even if you add or remove appliances/equipment. The bill primarily depends on the usage.

On another issue, people state that WRT54GL has issues with torrents. I haven't faced any issues yet and am still using the stock firmware because of it.

^ when u torrent like me u will see issues =D

i batch download like 2 or 3 8 gig torrents together

tomorrow i will borrow an electric usage meter from my friend and tell u the electric usage of the pc

LOL! I have my PC on 24/7 with the internet connection maxed out. I think I would have faced the issues by now if there were any.

^ Asad i have personally seen the WRT54GL crash

if u really wana try to lock it up do this in ur torrent client set teh max peers to 210 and the upload slots to 76

then download the torrent i have mailed u

u will see it lock up in mins

^ Why would I do that when it is working fine as it is now. :)