Router Not Connecting To Internet After Power Comes Back On

My router (ZTE) doesn't connect to internet after the power resumes. It takes 3-4 switch on/off actions to get the internet working. Only two lights are on with DSL and Internet light off. What problem is this ? And how to solve it ? It's getting annoying as each time the electricity comes back, I have to keep going to the router to get it working and waiting.

If anybody can help, I'd be grateful

Regards

Where are you residing, Karachi? I had an issue with my internet disconnecting. I've made a thread a couple of weeks back. My internet has improved, you can see it here.

Thanks, but my problem is different one.

I am not experiencing disconnection. it's just that after the power comes back, router doesn't immediately work and I have to wait for some 10-15 minutes to get it back to working by turning it on/off

Here in Rawalpindi, I'm facing a similar issue,

The modem takes anywhere from 3-8 minutes to 'sync' ... sometimes ALL the green lights are on yet it takes another 4,5 minutes until sites starts opening (before that , they keep time outing on me).

I've checked its not the router but the Modem/ PTCL end problem.

Tried both static and auotmatic DNS server assignment (in ZTE modem settings), seems like recenlty PTCL effed something up in the exchange or elsewhere.

------------ UPDATE

16:09 Abbas- • wtf is wrong with ptcl

16:09 Abbas- • restart modem

16:09 Abbas- • takes 4,5 mins for LED lights to show connected status

16:09 Abbas- • after taht u do http://i.imgur.com/TrWIv.jpg

16:10 Abbas- • and then it takes another 3,4 mins before you are 'actually' connected and can browse and tracert anywhere. something is wrnog with ptcl.

I thought it was a router problem.

@engineblock and @rebel, is your router on UPS, also when this happens check on-line status in status/wan if you are using zte zxdsl831,you may see authentication failure, or on quick start page only 54 bytes received, these are problems i m facing

yes modem and router are on UPS . but this long time taking to resync issue took place recently. just happend now again, took about 6 mins for all the lights to light up on zte modem. then another 4,5 mins for page to actually start working on the pc .

@rebel, have you checked your wan status, also number of bytes received when all lights are on?

I'm having same problem too, after load shedding Router connects all smooth but I can't surf the net. It takes about 5-20mins to work & No I don't restart Router.

My router is not on UPS. After power is restored, the Internet and DSL lights are not on while the rest two are !

[quote=“junu, post:8, topic:16816”]

@rebel, have you checked your wan status, also number of bytes received when all lights are on?

[/quote]

Lights went out, and system switched to UPS and the PTCL modem couldn’t handle the ‘jhatka’ (the PC, linksys router handle it fine).

Anyway restarting the ZTE modem with the hardware power button it was stuck in trying to resync. I went into status and yeah, i could only saw 54 byte :ohttp://i.imgur.com/RnnUh.jpg

so , i took off the power cable of zte modem , plugged it in a few seconds later and i still see 54 bytes again. This time i went and dug out another power adapter from the store, plugged it in and modem was connected in a blink of an eye (like old times). Not sure if that’s what fixed it but if the issue seems gone for a while, and this is the fix, i’ll report back here.

thank you, i asked them(you know who) and they say its a handshake problem, nothing further, they did not say they'll solve it, neither they asked me to do something. i have not tried to change power adapter, i try myself

[quote=“junu, post:12, topic:16816”]

thank you, i asked them(you know who) and they say its a handshake problem, nothing further, they did not say they’ll solve it, neither they asked me to do something. i have not tried to change power adapter, i try myself

[/quote]

light went out again, and everything switched to UPS. anyhoo, as usual modem desynced, and wont resync after i tried the reset button,

tried unpluggin and replugging the cable to modem (power cable) and didnt reconnect, tried again and NOW it get connected.

Did i mentioned i was playing a moba game and i was disconnect in the middle for 15mins caz of this. now i think i shud try a reliable adslmodem+router instead of this zte crap. may be thatll fix it.

I have the same issue as Rebel. It's stupid PTCL. Those twats can't get anything right, ever.

Borrow a router from a friend and check if the problem persists. Also, ZTE is unreliable brand, try getting renowned brands for e.g. TP-Link, Linksys, Netgear..

[quote=“nictor, post:15, topic:16816”]

Borrow a router from a friend and check if the problem persists. Also, ZTE is unreliable brand, try getting renowned brands for e.g. TP-Link, Linksys, Netgear…

[/quote]

yes im heading to the market to get one in a bit.

but the handshake issue is PTCLs end like Asad_N confirmed. and junu too.

the dropping connection issue is the zte modem.

^It's not a modem problem. PTCL servers are the culprit. I'm also having the same delayed sync problem; checked with three different modem/router(s). It happens every time I turn on the router, unrelated to load-shedding.

[quote=“ZXCVB, post:17, topic:16816”]

^It’s not a modem problem. PTCL servers are the culprit. I’m also having the same delayed sync problem; checked with three different modem/router(s). It happens every time I turn on the router, unrelated to load-shedding.

[/quote]

Yeah PTCL need to pull its #$%# together and fix the handshake issues.

The other reason of dropping connections was just for me (I knew it was my modem not holding up when the UPS switched to backup power, - now fixed with the new adsl router i got)

Its prob in zte modem some time ven suddenly light comes this happens

I don't know about you but I had a similar problem with my DSL. My internet had fewer disconnections on UPS, when the power would come back on it would resync and after that, constant disconnections. My SNR margin also decreased considerably when the power came back on. I think it must've been some electromagnetic interference from the transformer/power lines but obviously my lineman was too thick to get that through his head.