Reverse PIN Panic Code

I read on the internet that:

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse.

For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321.

The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine

The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to help you.

My friend told me that he checked at two ATM's but both of them first caught the card and they were unable to get out the cards from the machine. Then the IT department of the banks begin working on the machines.

Well I do not have card to check. If someone could share his knowledge or experience in this regard with me and other fellows, it would highly appreciated.

Discuss on this topic not only nationally but also internationally.

Even if there exists any such method of notifying police by entering PIN# in reverse, its of no use in Pakistan cuz police will not arrive at all in first place, and even if only accidentally they do react to the situation, it will already b too late, as it always happens. :P

IMO this system will never b effective, at least in Pakistan where our police is not capable of providing security even to themselves. :(

At least the security guard in banks may get in action, if a policy is laid down that they will get prize for their bravery.

But stick to the technology. We will arrange an alternate of Pakistani Police in case they not gonna cooperate. May be we could also think of importing police just like we imported PM for our country. lol

Its a Gup,or an "Urban Legend".

Its an old one,you can confirm it by calling your bank.

Why would they keep this service a secret from their customers?

agreed - this is not true....

Security at ATMs is a joke. Sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=739ebIfLloA

Edit: http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

@Imran VU

I won't recommend doing anything "smart" when a gun is pointed to your head. Stay calm, show fear, don't be over confident and give them money and other perishable items as your life is too much important than that money.

Let Allah put those robbers in Hell to burn forever. Amen!

^Summa ammmeen.

Karachi people also show a promo when they caught and burn the robbers on road.

I think its fake. But no one has wrote any expeience of entering reverse code.

One of the leading home security systems in Pakistan

does employ this freaky 'reverse code' practice.

If a dacoit succeeds in entering your home, activates

the security alarm and puts a gun to your head to re-

set it, they advise you to put in the code backwards.

That alerts the operator back in the office that it is a

SOS call. And of course they have other SOP in place

to identify the resident and get his/her assessment

of the immediate situation, while sitting in the office.

But I won't get into them, lest a real dacoit is surfing

this thread and gets a heads-up... you know who you

are! :P

Sheikh 'Reverse Psychology' Chilli