Reputation of Alfa UPS

First Question: Has anyone used any Alfa UPS to power their PC? Which PC and for how long?

Galaxy has two of its models listed:

-> 1KV 600WATTS (8310) (<6ms transfer time)

-> 1KV (1000CH) (supposedly this one can handle upto 30Amps charging current and can be used with wet batteries as well, <10ms transfer time)

Which ones better?

well malik I havent used these particular models but I have used Alfa previously with my desktops and they ran fine, i have given mine off to my younger bro which he now uses for his PC, been 5 yrs no hickup yet except a battery replacement 2 yrs back but i guess that is how long any battery wud last..

I have three Alfa units. A 350 W, a 600 W (1 KVA) and a 1200 W (2 KVA).

The 1 KVA makes my computer restart each time the light goes, apart from that it works fine. The 2 KVA one runs my computer about 25 mins without any restarting issues.

The 2 kva got screwed 4 months after I bought it, took it back to Galaxy they had it repaired in warranty.

Overall, decent product.

Thanks for the input Abbas. Got two more Qz for you:

1. which 1kva model do you have? (model no...?)

2. which PC were you powering with that 1 kva ups (p3/4/dual core/core2duo etc) and how much load do you think was on it at the time it had to transfer in case of power blackout?

Thx again bro

hmmmmm.... just my 2 cents i never had a pc restart problem with my Alfa as long as i used it

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hmmmmm… just my 2 cents i never had a pc restart problem with my Alfa as long as i used it
[/quote]

a ups powering a p1/2/3 may not be able to do so in case of more sensitive p4/dual core/core 2 based systems

So which pc is yours?

i have p4 3.2Ghz HT with 17inch flat screen monitor....never got reset on this, now i have a core2duo

and you have which alfa model? 8310 or 1000CH?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Thanks for the input Abbas. Got two more Qz for you:

1. which 1kva model do you have? (model no…?)

2. which PC were you powering with that 1 kva ups (p3/4/dual core/core2duo etc) and how much load do you think was on it at the time it had to transfer in case of power blackout?

Thx again bro

[/quote]

You’re welcome. I think the model number is 8310. The PC I tried to power on the 1KVA unit is pretty heavy duty but still it should have picked it up considering it’s 600 W. My system is a Quad core, with two hard drives, three dvd drives, a graphics card, 5 fans and a 22 Inch lcd.

thanks for the input Abbas.

I think you need a good high rated PSU if you havent already got one...i found out that a PSU's Hold Up Time needs to be more than the UPS's transfer time. So that might help you out there...

Np, and I have a Corsair HX 620 W, which is pretty much the best 600 W PSU in the world. I think my system load was too much for the 1 kva.

Spoke too soon about the Alfa UPS. The 2 kva ups conked out again today for no reason. Just a heard a spark kinda noise and the thing shut off. No power, no lights no nothing.

Sigh. Makes a nice footstool.