Registerfly, if you don't know, is/was a domain registrar. It's two owners had a huge fight, tried to sabotage the company for the other, and then all the customers got screwed as a result - people lost money, domains disappeared etc. Eventually ICANN (the regulatory authority for domain names) stripped them of their accredited status and a court order forced them to help all customers transfer the domains out to other companies. I had my first domain registered with them and could have lost it too, except I was lucky enough to get the EPP code after about 2 weeks of worrying!
Well, it seems the company is back. They've been emailing me every other day with domain expiry notices and coupon codes. I eventually logged in and saw I still had $9.01 in my quick checkout account balance. So why not make use of it and get a domain, wait 45 days and then transfer it out to Namecheap. I've got nothing to lose, because there's no way I can get that money out of Regfly, so I thought I should try it out.
A coupon code reduced the price of a dot com from $9.99 to $8.99, so I went to checkout, and they added an extra charge of 42 cents, saying the costs have increased for them. So my total is now $9.41. :/ I don't want to give them my credit card info as the company is still suspicious, and the only other way to pay them is e-gold and something called u-pay.
I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on what I should do. My options are:
- Forget the $9
- Get a .net ($6.99 with a coupon) instead of a .com ($8.99 with a coupon)
- Anything else?