Regarding PTCL Broadband

I currently have copper telephone line and i have PTCL 2MB DSL internet connection. I live in Phase 2, DHA, Lahore.

1) How can i get a fiber optic line for my telephone line? Procedure? Whom to contact? Charges?

2) Can i get fiber optic for the same telephone number i had copper line before or will it be installed on a new number?

3) Can i use my already PTCL internet connection for the fiber optic line or will i have get a new PTCL internet connection?

4) Any more details you can provide me about switching to fiber optic?

Right now i am using ptcl broadband 2MB DSL connection and my line is copper. When the ptcl doubled speeds recently i was not upgraded initially. After a long time waiting when i finally contacted PTCL support they said they have upgraded everybody and will upgrade me as soon as possible. Finally after 1-2 weeks waiting they changed my port from 2MB to 4MB but as soon as they did this my modem never got stable ASDL light even for a few seconds. After more complaints finally they said your line is in fault and you need to get fiber optic for 4MB and switched me back to 2MB.

A month later i contacted support again and told them my history and they asked for my line SNR and line attenuation and said your connection will be upgraded to 4MB but after a month of complaints the result was the same and again had to revert back to 2MB. So now i am thinking of switching to fiber to get 4MB connection.

First of all , There is not 2 mbps package now ! Those who were on 2 mbps has been upgraded to 4 mbps

Regarding ONU (Fiber Optic) line , You need to get a new number, new dsl connection on it.

Call 1236 if there is fiber optic available at your area.

Thanks for the info. I know there is no 2MB package but before the speed doubled my connection was 2MB and after the upgrade they tried to upgrade me to 4MB but they said there was problem in your line and you will have to get fiber optic so currently i am in 2MB connection as i cant be upgraded to 4MB on my copper line. I had tried to get my connection upgraded twice to 4MB but each time as soon as they upgraded my connection to 4MB my internet would stop working and i would had to wait week+ to get it fixed again. Each try took more than a month of complaints and still the process was very slow.

if the ONU is available on ur area and I'm sure it will be

so just contact ur exchange directly ( no need to call any help line ) they will convert u on ONU and there is no need to get another connection for ONU

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

if the ONU is available on ur area and I’m sure it will be

so just contact ur exchange directly ( no need to call any help line ) they will convert u on ONU and there is no need to get another connection for ONU

[/quote]

i also think this. no need to take new connection.

Can you please tell me then how to contact my exchange(any telephone number for Defence Telephone exchange) to find if ONU connection is available for my current telephone line or not.

goto ur exchange and contact DSL Incharge he will order to lineman to convert ur line on ONU simple and keep in touch with incharge ;-) for many other problems :-P

goto ur exchange and contact DSL Incharge he will order to lineman to convert ur line on ONU simple and keep in touch with incharge :wink: for many other problems :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Correction !

ONU numbers series is separate from the Copper wire numbers … He has to apply for new telephone Line of ONU number , if its available in his area !

i didn't understand what u wanna say but if i talk about my area it was totally on copper but after the upgradation of my exchange half of my area has been converted to ONU line, so u wanna say that all PTCL numbers of half converted to ONU has been changed ???

i didn’t understand what u wanna say but if i talk about my area it was totally on copper but after the upgradation of my exchange half of my area has been converted to ONU line, so u wanna say that all PTCL numbers of half converted to ONU has been changed ???
[/quote]

Check with your exchange they must have proper information about.

i didn’t understand what u wanna say but if i talk about my area it was totally on copper but after the upgradation of my exchange half of my area has been converted to ONU line, so u wanna say that all PTCL numbers of half converted to ONU has been changed ???
[/quote]

Listen Dude !

2 Decades ago PTCL was working on Analogue Exchanges. They converted whole Infrastructure to Digital Exchanges …! Right

Now what you are saying is that , Goto Exchange and ask them to convert the number on ONU , Its not possible Technically Speaking.

Either Whole Exchange in which the number category falls has to be changed to ONU as the conversion on single number is not entertained.

If You got some links try to see the Exchanges server rooms, you might see a hell of difference between Fiber Optic and Digital Exchanges. ONU works on Light whereas the normal Copper wire works using the voltages through each pair.

Another Correction to one of comment above somewhere , DSL Incharge has nothing to do with conversion of your number ! Contact Exchange and they will tell you the same story if they are such technical so far !

Thanks

I did went to the exchange and was told that it is not possible for me to convert my existing line to fiber. I will have to get a new fiber connection/telephone in order to get fiber optic.