Regarding Homage 1000VA!

i have 1000 VA Homage 12 Volt Inverter going very fit Allhamdu Lillah since 1 year with these spec (12 Volt Homage Inverter 1000 VA+Volta 210amp Battery) Now i want to attach a deep cycle battery with it (proabably 140amp)Is it feasible or not.I will keep the + with the + and - with the - --which will make it 12 volts.Regarding charging I don't see any problem but it will require time to charge but I want your views--i will be thank full to any who reply me in detail.

Are you going to replace the battery or just connect another battery in parallel?

I don't see any issues if you use the deep cycle battery in place of a regular battery.

No not parallel , the ups can support 12v only.Its supports one battery.I am thinking to add another battery with the current volta battery in series (like ill take positive from volta positive and attach to positive of the another battery --same for negative.Will it work this way? It will still be 12volts.Am I right?

[quote=“koder, post:3, topic:16835”]

No not parallel , the ups can support 12v only.Its supports one battery.I am thinking to add another battery with the current volta battery in series (like ill take positive from volta positive and attach to positive of the another battery --same for negative.Will it work this way? It will still be 12volts.Am I right?

[/quote]

no it has to be parallel…Voltages add up in series…If you put 2x12V in series that means 24V…connect the battery in Parallel to the current one…Although it will provide better timings but charging would be an Issue…And Ijaz Bhai how does AH behave in this configuration? I mean do they add up, superposition or anything?

Oh ok got it.. how the Ah behave in this config.. just curious...good question.

According to my little knowledge, 210+150=360 and it will give you 360 AH and one advantage will be discharge rate of the battery that is normally /10A and in this case two batteries will give you more option (2.5 times of backup as compared to one battery of 360 AH)

Ijaz I need your comments too on it (as I've already discussed it in other thread- two batteries in parallel will also give extra value in discharge rate?)

[quote=“nvd650, post:6, topic:16835”]

According to my little knowledge, 210+150=360 and it will give you 360 AH and one advantage will be discharge rate of the battery that is normally /10A and in this case two batteries will give you more option (2.5 times of backup as compared to one battery of 360 AH)

Ijaz I need your comments too on it (as I’ve already discussed it in other thread- two batteries in parallel will also give extra value in discharge rate?)

[/quote]

this factor sure adds upto calculation concerns of charging and discharging…I too am awaiting an explanatory response on this.

Looks like Ijaz (guru) has misplaced the thread :D

[quote=“nvd650, post:6, topic:16835”]

Ijaz I need your comments too on it (as I’ve already discussed it in other thread- two batteries in parallel will also give extra value in discharge rate?)

[/quote]

Thank you - Sure they will help in discharge rate. Analogy to discharging of parallel batteries is just like pushing a car by more than one persons, no matter adults or minors. It all adds up. However a near dead battery in a parallel circuit might create problems instead of any benefit.

[quote=“koder, post:8, topic:16835”]

Looks like Ijaz (guru) has misplaced the thread :D

[/quote]

Not really :)

Actually I read most of the posts on my mobile and put the replies till I have some free time on desktop / laptop. Unfortunately I have LDN both at work and home and it has strange problems with WP, often gives errors “Unable to resolve IP address”. Today being sick of LDN, I have connected my mobile to laptop. It’s slow but working on WP.

WP at times is quite slow anyhow My 210amp Volta is doing very good..its in good condition..it seems it will give me a benefit with another one in parallel.

yes

it is feasible

[quote=“koder, post:11, topic:16835”]

WP at times is quite slow anyhow My 210amp Volta is doing very good…its in good condition…it seems it will give me a benefit with another one in parallel.

[/quote]

Salam Brother,

Please consider my suggestion before engaging another battery in parallel. Based upon practical experience, batteries operation in parallel is not as quite simple as stated in above posts (frnds plz dont be annoyed if i hurt u). Charging parallel batteries is OK as long as your charger is capable of handling this load (and homage can bear upto 10A as far as i know, so shall be no problem). But discharging is a major hurdle in parallel operations. Usually batteries of same type and same make have different internal impedances (but your case is worst as you are engaging deep cycle battery with simple lead acid: a huge difference in internal impedances). So one battery is always being discharged more than the other. As the battery aging process continues, one with lower impedance always gives more current than the higher one. So lower impedance battery discharges much earlier than the higher impedance. Hence its lead plates undergo sulpherization quicker than the high impedance one. The actual problem begins here: the dying battery will eat up the charge of healthy battery (current will circulate within batteries). Hence you will not get anything like

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
[/quote]

For a reliability point of view, i shall request all members a healthy debate on this issue.

Please go through the following topic for reference as well:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_11/5.html

Hmm then I'll consider the new upcoming ITS series battery by Volta.I won't opt for deep cycle.It will be lead acid battery.. some experience members can shed light on this issue.Many senior members advised that it won't mess around in parallel.

Well, usually you will see large battery banks connected in series instead of parallel for the same reason as i mentioned above.

^^The same problem is there with series battery bank. One faulty battery/cell causes catastrophe.

[quote=“blogger, post:16, topic:16835”]

^^The same problem is there with series battery bank. One faulty battery/cell causes catastrophe.

[/quote]

How??

A faulty battery/cell in series does not let the battery pack get fully charged. More and more power is surfed to increase the voltage of the pack but charger fails to do so resulting in waste of electricity, faster sulphation in other healthy batteries and overheating.

Yes. Then what is the solution??

If one battery in a pack is dead, then upgrade the whole pack. Buy new batteries to make a new pack instead of just buying one battery and connecting it to the old pack.