Recommend a Smartphone

Hello,

My Cousin is coming from UK in 1 month and he is willing to bring along a smartphone for me which I like. So the main things which I need in a Touch/Smart Phone are

* Good Camera

* Good video quality (preferrably HD with good FPS)

* Good speakers

I find HTC, iPhone and Nokia to be good enough so please recommend a good smart/Touch phone which has the above requirements mentioned

Thanks,

Nokia N8...awesome...specially wid video..go for it!

Does it beat HTC Desire/HD?

Want a stunning camera phone offering multimedia tools and great video playback, then choose the Nokia N8.

Want a fully loaded feature packed smartphone which is draped in coolness, then choose the HTC Desire HD.

iPhone 4.. good resale and bright future .. and durable.. and looks slick.. nd u know its popular aswell.

Get a Blackberry.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Get a Blackberry.
[/quote]

Buddy get any Android based phone.

hmm… almost 2011 and Blackberry cell phone, makes a nice joke to tell in parties.

it seems sah is stuck between years 1999 to 2006 and can’t remember anything before or beyond those years.

BY THE WAY: KO admin has declared 2011 the year of Android phones <-----Kamran1x1 totally agree with with him.

http://wiredpakistan.com/2010/12/today-the-nexus-s-goes-on-sale/

Excerpt from KO post:

But what about all those corporate blackberry customers so happily using random edge: Firstly, they don’t know internet speeds even if it came and smacked them on the head, and here I include all the upper levels of all the telco companies I’ve ever talked to, let alone the other corporate types who use them. The way blackberry works isn’t really real time - updates and email slowly wind their way through priority channels to the actual phone, so the user never knows how slowly the damn thing is actually working. Blackberry users don’t ever manage to figure out how to use the internet on their phones anyways so they are in no position to judge - it’s a bit like asking a caveman about which car to buy.

http://wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=178796#p178796

^ For starters I don't appreciate your tone. Its rude and offensive. Keep it in check.

And your excerpt says nothing about which Blackberry or OS was used to have come to that opinion. Some of my comments in reply to it:

- How can you say push email is slow on the Blackberry? Can you provide some benchmarks?

- 'Blackberry users don't ever manage to figure out how to use the internet'? What does that even mean? If a reviewing opinion includes such shameless, unsupported generalizations, it shouldn't be taken seriously anyways. I personally (and I really stress the word personally here to make my point) know upwards of at least 50 Blackberry users who love it.

You have a right to have an opposing opinion, but at least try to support it with facts and solid reasons as to why you have that opinion. Pointless rants will only make you look like a fanboy.

^ You’re very good at talking smack and copy/pasting other peoples opinion. Do you have any thought of your own in that head of yours?
[/quote]

- its very simple, Blackerry had its time they did not innovate,

- Apple Iphone took the market share with totally innovative product come 2007, closed nature of iOS and strict bulls-hit app approval process and may I also add the Steve Jobs stubbornness is the 'cause of iOS losing the market share.

- then came the Android from google, totally free, open source, highly customizable, something which can be implemented in phones costing as low as RS 10k in paksitan and as high as RS 90k + phone, and this OS feels right at home in those cell phones. Developers are free to develop whatever app without any stupid restrictions whats Apple imposes on iOS.

- Blackberry realized wow we need to innovate but i guess sah your beloved canadian company is little too late in the game now, it got stiff competition from Android, iOS and some what from Windows 7 phone.

- Lots of giant companies are switching to Android or iOS slowly from Blackberry.

EDIT ADD

- How can you say push email is slow on the Blackberry? Can you provide some benchmarks?

- ‘Blackberry users don’t ever manage to figure out how to use the internet’? What does that even mean? If a reviewing opinion includes such shameless, unsupported generalizations, it shouldn’t be taken seriously anyways. I personally (and I really stress the word personally here to make my point) know upwards of at least 50 Blackberry users who love it.

You have a right to have an opposing opinion, but at least try to support it with facts and solid reasons as to why you have that opinion. Pointless rants will only make you look like a fanboy.

[/quote]

Sir and Janab the above excerpt is by admin KO for which i gave you a link in the above post, we are here in Pakisran and KO is 100% right in his bechmark, KO’s benchmark is for obsolete 2G in Pakistan and not your blazing fast 3G in your Canada.

^ Why are you talking market dynamics? Why aren't you comparing phones?

- Android may be open source and highly customizable, yet Apple still have by far the biggest app store. If thats your criteria, the iPhone wins.

- Lots of giant companies are switching to Android or iOS? So what? The guy wants a smartphone for personal use.

- Blackberry is facing a lot of competition from other companies? So? The other companies are facing a lot of competition from Blackberrys.

- You talk about innovation. Name a few technologies where you think other phones are better.

Sir and Janab the above excerpt is for admin KO for which i gave you a link in the above post, we are here in Pakisran and KO is 100% right in his bechmark, KO’s benchmark is for obsolete 2G in Pakistan and not your blazing fast 3G in your Canada.

[/quote]

I know it was written by KO and I referred to it as an ‘excerpt’. My point is he did not provide a benchmark. He’s not ‘100% right in his benchmark’ because its a factless opinion, hence it can’t be given any weight.

If 2G is slow, its slow for every phone. In fact Blackberry has always been favored by carriers since they’ve invested in data compression and you can do more on slower speeds and limited bandwidth.

@ Ikram

Here are a few pointers to help you out:

Need the best texting and email phone - Blackberry (No second thoughts, its just hardwired to work best for these functions)

Need the best all in one device - iPhone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S or Nexus S(Choose Android only if you are a all things Google fan and enjoy customizing things to your taste, otherwise iPhone4 is your best bet)

Need the best cameraphone - Nokia N8 (if you are comfortable with Symbian UI then you should be right at home with it, be careful though its not the best touch phone to type on as Nokia default keypad is not good, so not advised if you text frequently)

Need the phone with best speakers - HTC Surround (Its a newly released Windows Phone 7 device, google to learn about it)

HTC Desire! I did a lot of research before buying my phone and my decision was spot on. It's my first Android phone yet I feel at home with all its features, way better than any iPhone I've used. As for Symbian, unless you want a phone purely for multimedia, don't waste your money on it. Android has the fastest growing app market, even now you can pretty much find an app for anything. Desire was voted phone of the year for 2010 and rightly so, you can go for the newer HD version which has a bigger screen.

PS The touchscreen keyboard is amazing, very speedy (if you're a texting buff).

HTC Desire! I did a lot of research before buying my phone and my decision was spot on. It’s my first Android phone yet I feel at home with all its features, way better than any iPhone I’ve used. As for Symbian, unless you want a phone purely for multimedia, don’t waste your money on it. Android has the fastest growing app market, even now you can pretty much find an app for anything. Desire was voted phone of the year for 2010 and rightly so, you can go for the newer HD version which has a bigger screen.

PS The touchscreen keyboard is amazing, very speedy (if you’re a texting buff).

[/quote]

What about the Speakers/Sound Quality? In both HD and Desire?

What about the Speakers/Sound Quality? In both HD and Desire?

[/quote]

Speakers are average, good enough to do the job but nothing to write home about. For me speakers were not a priority, the only time they’re used are when the phone’s ringing. I don’t really use my phone as a stereo, I prefer headphones.

@sah

sorry for late reply my canuck brother, in short i'll say no mobile OS is forever, like Blackberry had its high time, same way Android got its high time right now, since nothing is forever as trends of the past tell us, one day Android will lose its innovative edge and then some other cutting edge mobile OS of the future will take over and this cycle will repeat itself forever and ever and hypothetically speaking one day we would not need any cell phone and will communicate telepathically....

For poor country like PK Android fits the the bill since one can get Android as cheap as rs 10k and as high as rs 90k plus. so it has more charm for third world country.

now if you look at iPhone iOS or Windows 7 phone or Blackberry . these mobile OSes are ground up designed for expensive high end smartphones period, unlike Android which can be tailored to low end to high end cell phones.

and this is my last post in this thread and i am out of here.

Why do fanboys show up when ever phones are compared :P

Everyone here is mostly right, just wanted to point out that now for me the most important use of a phone is really as a portable pc, not a phone or messaging device.

Blackberry and Nokia are great at the older phone functions, Apple and Android are in a different league when it comes to computing.

So, it really depends on what you need a device for. Nokia might have a great camera, but often just having even a not so great camera is more than enough. The build quality on the high end Nokias is much better than just about any Android phone too, but it's just not as important as other features to me.

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting a little bit into Nokia N8 nowadays. Would any member of WP using Nokia N8 recommend this phone?

Hello Everyone,

I’m getting a little bit into Nokia N8 nowadays. Would any member of WP using Nokia N8 recommend this phone?

[/quote]

bro i am not using N8 but i am gonna give you some advise and i encourage you to google and do some research on your own first on that. N8 is not a cheap phone if you gonna buy one you’ll be spending some serious money for that… I am not questioning the hardware specs of the N8 but the OS it uses SYMBIAN has very shaky, weak and questionable future, given the dominance of Android OS and iPhone iOS.

if you are rich and you are buying N8 for the fun of it then go ahead, but if its something you are buying from hard earned cash then obviously you’ll look for the future support of the phone also and other stuff.