Real-time, Voice-guided navigation in Pakistan?

[quote=“saleen, post:20, topic:15982”]

Okay. So, if I don’t use A-GPS to get locked all I’ll lose will be a quick lock, right?

[/quote]

Yes, you will only lose faster lock. Using A-GPS is equivalent to few KB downloading.

[quote=", post:21, topic:15982"]

Yes, you will only lose faster lock. Using A-GPS is equivalent to few KB downloading.

[/quote]

Oh that’s not bad. I read somewhere on forums that you better have unlimited data plan for that purpose. Few KBs is just great. Thanks!

I tested it in car today. I faced two major problems.

1- Just as one could expect, the edge speed was too slow to catch up with car. So, it lagged quite a few times.

2- The voice wasn't very clear. And on top of that, it would speak actual name of the place. For example, she spoke shaukat ali road as "shokt ely road". So, that messed it up.

[quote=“saleen, post:23, topic:15982”]

2- The voice wasn’t very clear. And on top of that, it would speak actual name of the place. For example, she spoke shaukat ali road as “shokt ely road”. So, that messed it up.

[/quote]

This is synthesized voice (text to speech conversion), do you expect Urdu style English from Google developers ?

[quote=", post:24, topic:15982"]

This is synthesized voice (text to speech conversion), do you expect Urdu style English from Google developers ?

[/quote]

Yeah I know that. And I’m not expecting or complaining. Just sharing what I experienced. :)

IMO, it would have been better if they had totally skipped speaking the name of place. Just “turn right after 100m” etc. would have been sufficient.

Well - you can ignore the names bit and listen to the rest of the statement :P

A few KB is good enough for AGPS usage. If you don't use AGPS, you might not get a lock. You can use Wifi instead of cellular data to get an AGPS lock.

(basically, what happens is that the phone connects to a time server and gets some configuration downloaded - which helps your GPS chip connect to the satellites. Once that information is downloaded, your GPS module is good to go WITHOUT a data connection for a day or two - after that, you'd need an internet connection).

@ Ijaz

I also need this apk file, thanks in advance, pm'ed

[quote=", post:27, topic:15982"]

@ Ijaz

I also need this apk file, thanks in advance, pm’ed

[/quote]

Sent…

[quote=“shaheerk, post:26, topic:15982”]

Well - you can ignore the names bit and listen to the rest of the statement :P

A few KB is good enough for AGPS usage. If you don’t use AGPS, you might not get a lock. You can use Wifi instead of cellular data to get an AGPS lock.

(basically, what happens is that the phone connects to a time server and gets some configuration downloaded - which helps your GPS chip connect to the satellites. Once that information is downloaded, your GPS module is good to go WITHOUT a data connection for a day or two - after that, you’d need an internet connection).

[/quote]

lol of course but since it was my first time so it was a bit hard to ignore the ‘urdinglish’ language completely. :D

But with the passage of time one would get used to it, no doubt!.

And thanks for the info on A-GPS!

Kindly send the APK file at jawwad.farooq@gmail.com

Thanks

[quote=“jawwad.farooq, post:30, topic:15982”]

Kindly send the APK file at jawwad.farooq@gmail.com

Thanks

[/quote]

Sent… Please give your feedback about this Navigation thing.

After getting free from final exams, I thought to test Google Navigation, provided by Ijaz bro, again. Yesterday, I got to drive on a route 65 kms long. I used G-Nav this time and I must say I really liked it.

1. There was no lagging this time (thanks to zong's internet, earlier I was using warid)

2. Map details were very good.

3. Satellite view turned out to be of great help when I hit a small area with thick fog.

4. Routing engine always used highways/motorways where possible. This I didn't see in other navigation apps I used.

Overall, a great experience and I think I'm going to stick with G-Nav. :)

[quote=“saleen, post:32, topic:15982”]

3. Satellite view turned out to be of great help when I hit a small area with thick fog.

[/quote]

Must be by chance, otherwise satellite view on Google Maps is always few months old - it’s not Real Time.

Thank you for the feedback.

Wait - you said Zong's internet is good? Where were you when you tested?

[quote=", post:33, topic:15982"]

Must be by chance, otherwise satellite view on Google Maps is always few months old - it’s not Real Time.

Thank you for the feedback.

[/quote]

I didnt know that. I had to take a turn which could have resulted in an accident and thats where it helped when satellite view showed me the actual turn. But I think it doesnt matter as far as you wanna see what area you’re passing by and the actual shape of road.

You are welcome. :)

[quote=“shaheerk, post:34, topic:15982”]

Wait - you said Zong’s internet is good? Where were you when you tested?
[/quote]

Yes, surprisingly, it worked great. I tested it on ring road and was going towards airport and another place. Well today I have to go to the other side of Lahore. Will post my feedback on both GNav and Zong.

[quote=", post:8, topic:15982"]

You will need to install an APK which will install another set of Google Maps, Navigation and Latitude on your mobile. So there would be two Google Maps installed simultaneously. The newly installed version will support voice guided navigation but you will need GPS and Edge service for the navigation to work.

PM me your gmail ID, i will email you the APK.

[/quote]

plz send me this .apk.my email is arshad47sbk@gmail.com.

sorry for posting email id,as I can’t send you pm,I’m a new member.

^ Sent you an email and still wondering why you couldn't send a PM?

May be new members are restricted from sending PMs till they reach certain post count.

@Sahil43

Remove this Boxbe thing from your email. I don't want to be bothered by such third party notifications.

Thanks it's working without any hitch. I can use both my default google maps and new voice turn by turn google navigation.