Real-time, Voice-guided navigation in Pakistan?

Can't we have real-time navigation on our android smartphones in Pakistan? When I click on navigation app it says "google maps navigation is not yet available in this location". The best it does is that it gives directions. Is there no way to use real-time navigation, especially the voice guided one?

try sygic app on your phone its trail version on market but if it works well for you then buy it

On XDA Forums, you'll find a Google Maps hack by Ownhere (or someone like that) that has enabled navigation worldwide.

It mostly works -the last time I did, I kept getting forced-closes and gave up - but I've used it. It's as good as the mapping detail available (not everything is updated, and not all routes are the best routes either, so...)

I am using voice guided navigation on Galaxy S for past one year, it works awesome.

[quote=", post:4, topic:15982"]

I am using voice guided navigation on Galaxy S for past one year, it works awesome.
[/quote]

How??? Kindly share the procedure.

@armada

sygic asks for calling and texting permissions...

[quote="shaheerk, post:3, topic:15982"]
On XDA Forums, you'll find a Google Maps hack by Ownhere (or someone like that) that has enabled navigation worldwide.

It mostly works -the last time I did, I kept getting forced-closes and gave up - but I've used it. It's as good as the mapping detail available (not everything is updated, and not all routes are the best routes either, so...)

[/quote]

Does that require set to be rooted?

I think so. More info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1007132 it's basically a modified version of the actual Maps program - and it needs to be overwritten. As I said, I think. Better to scour the thread and see what's required and what's not.

[quote=“saleen, post:5, topic:15982”]

How??? Kindly share the procedure.

[/quote]You will need to install an APK which will install another set of Google Maps, Navigation and Latitude on your mobile. So there would be two Google Maps installed simultaneously. The newly installed version will support voice guided navigation but you will need GPS and Edge service for the navigation to work.

PM me your gmail ID, i will email you the APK.

[quote=", post:8, topic:15982"]

You will need to install an APK which will install another set of Google Maps, Navigation and Latitude on your mobile. So there would be two Google Maps installed simultaneously. The newly installed version will support voice guided navigation but you will need GPS and Edge service for the navigation to work.

PM me your gmail ID, i will email you the APK.

[/quote]

Thanks Ijaz. I’ve sent you my email.

Edge service no problem but how can I get GPS service? Carriers don’t provide GPS service, I searched last time.

[quote=“saleen, post:9, topic:15982”]

Edge service no problem but how can I get GPS service? Carriers don’t provide GPS service, I searched last time.

[/quote]

By GPS, I mean you will need to enable GPS on your mobile because Navigation needs to know your accurate position.

This version of Google Maps has additional advantage that your phone will not turn off during the course of navigation.

Check your email, use the application and post your experience.

[quote=", post:10, topic:15982"]

By GPS, I mean you will need to enable GPS on your mobile because Navigation needs to know your accurate position.

This version of Google Maps has additional advantage that your phone will not turn off during the course of navigation.

Check your email, use the application and post your experience.

[/quote]

Thank you for the file. :)

I’ve installed it. But now in navigation, it keeps searching for gps for ages. What about it?

GPS works outdoors only, it requires a clear view of sky.

Did you try you it outdoor ? If GPS does not work outdoor, then you need FastFix from market, which probably needs a rooted phone.

[quote=", post:12, topic:15982"]

GPS works outdoors only, it requires a clear view of sky.

Did you try you it outdoor ? If GPS does not work outdoor, then you need FastFix from market, which probably needs a rooted phone.

[/quote]

Thank you very much. It worked. :)

[quote=“saleen, post:13, topic:15982”]

Thank you very much. It worked. :)

[/quote]

Good to know that you have a working Voice Navigation :)

[quote=", post:14, topic:15982"]

Good to know that you have a working Voice Navigation :)

[/quote]

Tomorrow I’ll test it in car and share my experience.

It works. If you're on a budget data package, turn off satellite view and leave the map view on. It'll guide you using the voice.

Oh - and if you can, hook it up with your car stereo.

[quote=“shaheerk, post:16, topic:15982”]

It works. If you’re on a budget data package, turn off satellite view and leave the map view on. It’ll guide you using the voice.

Oh - and if you can, hook it up with your car stereo.

[/quote]

Thank you shaheerk. It asks to use Titanium backup which works on rooted cell. Mine isn’t rooted.

What kind of cellular service does A-GPS use to assist GPS locking? Call data or mobile internet data? And does using A-GPS cost you? If yes, then how much?

It uses packet data i.e. Edge service. It does not cost you much especially if you are on (so called) un-limited data plan.

Did you check your navigation in a car ?

[quote=", post:19, topic:15982"]

It uses packet data i.e. Edge service. It does not cost you much especially if you are on (so called) un-limited data plan.

Did you check your navigation in a car ?

[/quote]

Okay. So, if I don’t use A-GPS to get locked all I’ll lose will be a quick lock, right?

Not yet. Hopefully, tomorrow as I’ll get to drive somewhere far.