Ready boost flash Drives

hi

can anybody tell me the functions of ready boost and ready boot USB/flash drives.

Also where to get them from in Pindi and what will be the likely price.

read this

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2170

It is just like adding extra RAM to the system, RAM is just a memory in which ur running processes are held and if u hv a hi speed USB than u can use it for the same purpose as RAM

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

It is just like adding extra RAM to the system, RAM is just a memory in which ur running processes are held and if u hv a hi speed USB than u can use it for the same purpose as RAM
[/quote]

Well not exactly. In descending order of speed you have:

CPU registers

CPU cache (L1-L2-L3)

Main Memory (RAM)

Hard disk

Flash drive.

So yes the flash drive is actually the slowest. But the thing with hard disks is that they can be slower than flash memory when it comes to random disk reads because it takes time for the mechanical parts of the hard disk to be positioned correctly. So that is what Vista uses the flash drive for.

Q: Aren’t Hard Disks faster than flash? My HDD has 80MB/sec throughput.

A: Hard drives are great for large sequential I/O. For those situations, ReadyBoost gets out of the way. We concentrate on improving the performance of small, random I/Os, like paging to and from disk.

[/quote]

It monitors what data is loaded from the hard disk during boot up and caches those bits on to the flash drive that are likely to be served faster than if they were read from the hard disk.

Q: How much of a speed increase are we talking about?

A: Well, that depends. On average, a RANDOM 4K read from flash is about 10x faster than from HDD. Now, how does that translate to end-user perf? Under memory pressure and heavy disk activity, the system is much more responsive; on a 4GB machine with few applications running, the ReadyBoost effect is much less noticable.

[/quote]

The real benefit though is on laptops because hard disks consume more battery power than flash drives and if you can cache random reads you prolong battery life.

Quote source:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

Wel thx evrybody for very informative and revealing discussion on the subject,

Are ready boost drives compatible with windows XP or they r only for Vista.

Moreover, plz let me know of any shop in pindi from which I can get it. Coz I hav checked from all pc shops in Saddar. The venders in saddar have no idea about it.

@ godfather

ReadyBoost is a Windows Vista feature. It is available in Vista and later editions of Windows (upcoming Windows 7 will have it unless Microsoft decide to remove it).

ReadyBoost is NOT supported in Windows XP.

For more information click on following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

The corsair Flash voyager series supports it and if your lucky, some of the normal Kingston's might but in my experience that has only happened for me once.

Wel thx evrybody for very informative and revealing discussion on the subject,

Are ready boost drives compatible with windows XP or they r only for Vista.

Moreover, plz let me know of any shop in pindi from which I can get it. Coz I hav checked from all pc shops in Saddar. The venders in saddar have no idea about it.

[/quote]

its an operating system dependent feature not a flash drive dependant one

Go for 8 gigs of DDR3 1600MHz ram :P ..thats much better than any readyboost. IMO getting real RAM is much better than going through the headache of choosing and running readyboost stuff.

^ AbbasJin

Agreed.

Its not a flash dependent feature but if the Flash itself is not fast, Vista will refuse to use it for readyboost since using a slow flash can actually slow the computer down. And yes, More ram is better :)

Thx evrybdy.