RAM reduced with dual boot

I have dual booted my Laptop with windows and ubuntu, (hp corei7, 8GB RAM), and I have noticed that whatever OS im using it only has access to 4GB of RAM. Is there anyway that i can access the entire 8GB RAM whether im on windows or ubuntu?

Are you using 32bit (x86) variant of the OS? You can use full 8GB (excluding any memory used by on-board graphics) with 64bit (x64) operating systems.

I’m using the 64-bit variant for both windows and ubuntu. I’ve read on some sites that using dual boot, the OS being used will have the full resources, but when I was running windows I saw that my laptop was only using a total of 4GB RAM. Can you kindly guide on how I can change that? Thankyou.

I have compiled some likely scenarios, hope your issue gets resolved. Though I don’t guarantee it as I don’t have your system at hand. Sorry, the editing tools here aren’t really up to par so am using a pre/code block here to enhance readability.

A solution tree:

1.           Did you have this 8GB RAM before you did the dual boot?

1.1.         If yes, open windows and check the RAM amount in System. See what it shows like, does it show it like; 4GB usable out of 8GB or just 4GB.

1.1.1.       If it shows the "usable" text then you have installed 32-bit version. It is a possibility that your windows copy is fake or altered. 

1.1.2.       If it shows just 4GB then its not a good sign. Try installing only windows/ubuntu 64-bit and see whether it picks up the rest of the RAM.

1.1.2.1.     If it shows then perhaps, it would be best that you instead create a VM and keep the other operating system as guest over your host.

1.1.2.2.     If not then there is a big chance that your RAM is most probably defective, have become dislodged or the motherboard slot has become defective. You can further verify it in BIOS but nonetheless you will have to get your system checked. Or if you are able yourself, try opening the laptop back cover, removing and again placing the RAM sticks, perhaps even swapping their slots. 

1.2.         If you have installed a new stick after formatting your system drive then you need to first open BIOS and check the RAM capacity there. 

1.2.1.       If it shows up correctly then you will need to check whether the new RAM stick has same speed and latency ratings as the other RAM in the system. This may need admin access in the BIOS to get that information. Or sometimes this information is written on the physical RAM modules themselves.

1.2.1.1.     if they match still then you may try installing only 64-bit editions, meaning they must not be multi-edition installers which may also have 32-bit variants. Essentially to force a 64-bit installation. 

1.2.1.1.1.   If that doesn't work then please jump back to point 1.1.

1.2.2.       If the RAM sticks specification do not match then immediately replace the RAM stick with a matching one to hopefully fix the issue. Different speeds can be matched sometimes but different latencies may lead to unstable and unknown results.

Check if both RAM sticks are fully seated inside the slots.

Use CPU-Z to see if both sticks are being detected or not.

This is very helpful!!! Thank you for explicitly explaining this :grinning:

Yes I will check this out! Thank you very much :grinning:

no by dull boot you use one operating system at one time which consume existing ram