RAID with Sata HDs

Hi WP,

Has anyone here have actually tried RAID1 with on-board sata controller using i3/i5/i7 (or core2due) processors?

I am considering to use RAID1 but the only HD available are WD Black. Looking to internet, people say its better to only use WD RE drives or even better ones.

So, my question, if you actually tried RAID1 with normal SATA (7200rpm) drives. Will it slow down your over all performance?

Well .. I am a bit disappointed seeing no reply from from a Tech forum. (My question certainly is tech related)

I guess people are too busy bashing each other and upload videos that doesn't make much sense.....

Anyway.

[quote=“Mask, post:2, topic:15715”]

Well … I am a bit disappointed seeing no reply from from a Tech forum. (My question certainly is tech related)

I guess people are too busy bashing each other and upload videos that doesn’t make much sense…

Anyway.

[/quote]

Indeed.

But I do not know answer to your question.

I didn't use Raid levels yet..... but I think system permanence is more related to a proper configuration then HDs itself..... e.g. Using big HDs (1TB+) need up-to one hour for formatting, and converting them to dynamic drives. Also if you're using an Intel chip-set then you also need Intel Rapid Storage Drivers and manager etc.

In-short there is a solution for every problem. some can be predicted based on first investigations , and others will be solved once you encounter them.

Good Luck

[quote=“Mask, post:2, topic:15715”]

Well … I am a bit disappointed seeing no reply from from a Tech forum. (My question certainly is tech related)

I guess people are too busy bashing each other and upload videos that doesn’t make much sense…

Anyway.

[/quote]

Write down specs for your system and then I can recommend you something, and if you are planning to buy then go for intel new chipset 68.

At the moment about your question if your target is to speed up your system then you should have to go to raid 0 and there should be two identical drives better, if you use 2 drives with diffrnt capacities like one is 250 gb and other 500 gb then it will result you in 500 gb assuming both are 250 gbs. In this case if one hdd is crashed, all your data is lost, so you have to take backup time to time as in case of a single drive.

And if you want to keep your data secure then you should go for raid 1, in this case its better to have same hdds ( who said only WD? Seagate is also an option though wd is better:P ) for example if you use two 500 gb’s hdds then it’ll show you 500 gb as one will keep image of your system sec by sec, so available disk space will be reduced to half of total, and if you use two different hdds like on one 250gb and other is 500 then disk space avlbl to you will be 250. But definitely it will slow down your system speed overall. Because all of your system has to work double this time, reading from both drives is easier but writing on 2 dirves is not an easy task. So be very careful while taking final decision.

And if you can afford then go for raid 5, using at least 3 identical hdd’s with both raid 0 and raid 1 features, it will boost up speed and also give you backup.

[quote=", post:4, topic:15715"]

I didn’t use Raid levels yet… but I think system permanence is more related to a proper configuration then HDs itself… e.g. Using big HDs (1TB+) need up-to one hour for formatting, and converting them to dynamic drives. Also if you’re using an Intel chip-set then you also need Intel Rapid Storage Drivers and manager etc.

In-short there is a solution for every problem. some can be predicted based on first investigations , and others will be solved once you encounter them.

Good Luck

[/quote]

You must be talking about formatting 1 TB on pentium 3? Did you ever hear about sata 3 or sata 6Gbps?

50% system performance depends on your HDD. If you dun believe then don’t reply.

[quote=“nvd650, post:6, topic:15715”]

You must be talking about formatting 1 TB on pentium 3? Did you ever hear about sata 3 or sata 6Gbps?

[/quote]

I think you just heard about quick format. and don’t know the actual Raid 1 process.

[quote=“nvd650, post:6, topic:15715”]

50% system performance depends on your HDD. If you dun believe then don’t reply.

[/quote]

You read my comment? or just guessing it?.. OP was concurred that people say, only WD RE (raid edition) is good for raid. and the conclusion of my reply was that he can also use simple drives like WD Black, if he configure the system for raid properly… So read my comment cleanly. then object.

And BTW if you heard about SATA3 (or using it) doesn’t necessarily apply on everyone. read OP’s comment about normal SATA drive first.

[quote=", post:7, topic:15715"]

I think you just heard about quick format. and don’t know the actual Raid 1 process.

You read my comment? or just guessing it?.. OP was concurred that people say, only WD RE (raid edition) is good for raid. and the conclusion of my reply was that he can also use simple drives like WD Black, if he configure the system for raid properly… So read my comment cleanly. then object.

And BTW if you heard about SATA3 (or using it) doesn’t necessarily apply on everyone. read OP’s comment about normal SATA drive first.

[/quote]

His main question was about speed in raid1 on 7200 rpm, you did not answer that one and telling him system parameters? Again in raid 0 or raid 1 all depends upon HHD (assuming that he has already core i3/i5/i7 processor and in this case almost rather most of the boards or offering on board raid setting now you dont need any extra raid card) And who told you that quick format is not applicable in raid drives? so please I’m very well aware of system performance and proper configuration but did you read my reply to his actual question? you bring out any system configuration or any 7200 rpm hdd, it will reduce speed. If you don’t agree still, search well about raid1.

he asked about speed and you are telling some other stories of formatting. and again being angry :)

If anyone in Pak is going to try something different, just let him do, why are you telling stories if you are not done with it? read his all message again :) tell him about raid performance first then go for intel chipset and formatting and etc etc

Your post #5 is totally irrelevant, just waste of time. and doesn't comply with Op's actual question. and don't waste my time too if you're not agree.