Quality imported batteries

Assalamualaikum All. My question is, are quality batteries for solar (deep cycle ) batteries available in pakistan? Not the cheap china imports that have flooded the market. From what I’ve seen, there doesn’t seem to be any. Used ones that have been cycled beyond there useful life but not new. Any info would be helpful. Would like to avoid importing myself if available in the pakistani market. Hope someone can help.

See my post on systek etc. I am using volta tall tubular batteries which are deep discharge. Cost me 17 k per piece

How long have you been using these and how do they compare with other vrla batteries available in the pakistani market. What is the expected useful life cycle of these batteries. Would like some basic info before I decide. I have been struggling with this issue for a while now, current batteries are shoto vrla 400ah. 2v cells x 12. 24v system. After 1 year’s use, I am estimating that they have lost 30% capacity. They were new or dated 2015. I’d only put my money into something available in the pakistani market if it has been proven. All Advice welcome. Jizakallah

These have been recently installed so I guess I have little to compare with. But the specs are before you. Each battery weighs over 60 kilos. The amount of electrolyte is humungous given its volume which is twice the size of a 250 AH flat plate automotive battery.

Shess. Unfortunately battery management is not yet well understood in pk. The result is as one would expect i.e. serious reduction in battery life. Unfortunately the instruments required to measure and log battery activity/use are simply not available because there is hardly any demand because of lack of understanding of the issues involved. Therefore unless you can import these yourself, or, altern tively, able to make these, you will face this issue recurrently.
I think your quest for a battery that is a ‘proven’ success, is in my view a truck kii batti. One of our forum’s brothers has zapped a couple of imported high quality batteries. It probably happened because these batteries were used indiscriminately to say the least. Had there been alarms or monitoring equipment raising flags when the battery was being abused, the expensive mistake may have been avoided. I strongly believe that you will need a system based on plc or microcontroller to manage the battery. One such system has been installed by another regular contributor to this forum. However he has been able to do it because he works professionally with plcs and thus able program and deploy these devices.
So my friend, your best bet is to refresh your theory, and then design your battery bank based on that. If possible source a good battery management system so that battery life can be extnded as much as possible.

Aurangzeb

Yes, they are available but very very expensive. Most traders/importers import the cheapest items to maximize profits. Only proper authorized distributors might have stock of good quality branded batteries or can import on demand.

Keep in mind that most such batteries are not built to sustain and go through multiple cycles in a day and will hence, likely have shorter service life even compared to local wet batteries. Your charging/discharging device and proper ratings with regards to entire power system will also matter and have effect on the service life obtained.

Most UPS devices available locally do not have specific settings for these batteries (low voltage cutoff, charge rate adjustment, end voltage for CC stage, float voltage adjustments, etc) and due to this, charging cycle is usually not optimal resulting in over discharge and overcharging which again, results in shortened life and damage to the battery.

1 Like

Handling batteries in a way that they last long is really difficult because you have to be on optimized position in terms of cost. You may need to arrange setup in a way that you batteries do not go below 50% of SoC.
For this reason I recently added a smaller UPS with 2 x 180Ah Narada batteries. I have a PLC that has load management scheme based on battery volt.
The added UPS is in cascade to main and the basic most essential load of my home is then on this smaller one. Like so, main battery bank does not go below 50 and hence the battery life remain in good figure.