Public IP Address now available on WC EVDO

I recently observed my WAN IP address on AWR-500 router is now a public IP in the range 115. 186.x.x.

Earlier, it used to be Class A private Ip 10.x.x.x. Its a welcome change for me at least as I would be able to use remote access to my home server via port forwarding.

Not sure whether this is limited to Karachi or not. Anyone from outside karachi noted this?

inetnum: 115.186.0.0 - 115.186.127.255

netname: WORLDCALL

descr: Worldcall Telecom Ltd

admin-c: WNO1-AP

tech-c: WNO1-AP

mnt-by: APNIC-HM

mnt-lower: MAINT-PK-WCALL

remarks: -±±±±±±±±±±±+±±±±±±±±±±±±±±+

remarks: This object can only be updated by APNIC hostmasters.

remarks: To update this object, please contact APNIC

remarks: hostmasters and include your organisation’s account

remarks: name in the subject line.

remarks: -±±±±±±±±±±±+±±±±±±±±±±±±±±+

changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20080909

source: APNIC

route: 115.186.64.0/19

descr: Worldcall Telecom Ltd

origin: AS38710

mnt-by: MAINT-PK-WCALL

changed: ipadmin@worldcall.net.pk 20080918

person: Worldcall Network Operations

address: 16-S, Gulberg II

phone: +92-42-5877051

e-mail: ipadmin@worldcall.net.pk

nic-hdl: WNO1-AP

mnt-by: MAINT-PK-WCALL

changed: ipadmin@worldcall.net.pk 20071205

this is supposed to be a problem right ??

Cuz due to this change I now cant access thier entertainment portal

Plus now whenever i spped test i shows my location as Lahore instead of KHI!

Whether its a problem or not depends on your preferences. I don't use their portal that much so no issue for me.

By the way, I checked and confirm their music and serial portals is no longer accessible. Did you check with their helpdesk?

Dear Kuya

Assalam-o-alaikum

Yes just checked the system status u are right now WAN IP address is changed to 115.186.xx.xx

Why is this so, my net is working ok. Not much problem, also rapidshare is finding download links, not much problem as in past.

Let me know if u can guide us about this change.

Regards

#$%# YEAH!

This is true. This puts a big smile on my face. Thanks WC Evdo. I hope this is not temporary.

And I think worldcall is expanding its services to other cities.

check your ip on formyip.com or ipchicken.com

and also check port forwarding via utorrent web service

then you will know completely whether u have a dedicated or shared ip.

Seems like there is indeed some problem in how WC is managing their IP Pool. I tried using port forwarding on my EVDO router but the ports are not opening :(

I can't access my home server remotely. Looks like I have to call their help line to get some insight. I hope some capable agent answers!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Dear Kuya

Assalam-o-alaikum

Yes just checked the system status u are right now WAN IP address is changed to 115.186.xx.xx

Why is this so, my net is working ok. Not much problem, also rapidshare is finding download links, not much problem as in past.

Let me know if u can guide us about this change.

Regards

[/quote]

Why is this so?..I have no clue as I don’t work for WC :)

For normal users, the change is transparent and usual browsing/downloading will work as before with no apparent change.

Having a public IP is better for torrents etc. and for advance users needing port forwarding to enable remote access to their computers from internet.

Hope this explains

WC portal is opening again now.

Port forwarding still not working.

yup portal working fine now

I am using 256kbps EVIDO USB

and its really working awsome

specially when i connect thru Voice/Video chat... its really superb

thumbs up for WC

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Why is this so?..I have no clue as I don’t work for WC :)

For normal users, the change is transparent and usual browsing/downloading will work as before with no apparent change.

Having a public IP is better for torrents etc. and for advance users needing port forwarding to enable remote access to their computers from internet.

Hope this explains

[/quote]

Wateen WiMAX used to have this problem of “one IP for all” - where more than one user used the same public IP address. This caused problems with rapidshare (which would report “your IP address is already downloading a file”. As well as with torrent software like utorrent - which benefit if you can open a port for incoming connections.

Availability of a public IP address is a REQUIREMENT of a standard “internet connection”. If you don’t have that (and are doing “one IP for all” that is essentially a crippled “internet” connection). It only allows usage of some very limited services (like one way - initiated by you - web browsing etc.). While this is sufficient for most users, it should be clear that ALLOWING this practice to continue is a disservice to the development of full service internet in Pakistan. Some of these typical users may later find that they cannot use the internet in a way that is being used all over the world - except Pakistan.

So we NEED a standard internet connection - and for users to understand it’s value (even though they themselves may not use it).

That someone was NOT able to connect to their video in-house website etc. is a TRIVIAL matter - easily resolvable by the company - since they control who gets access and who doesn’t. They will just allow that block of public IP addresses (that are now being assigned instead of the dummy ones) access as well.

Hope this clarifies this.

Just as background:

Similarly if you want to run an FTP server (or an HTTP server) you HAVE to open a port so outside users can initiate a connection to a program running on your computer.

Since most routers/modems also have a “router” builtin which blocks most ports (similar to what firewall software ALSO does like “zonealarm” or windows builtin “windows defender”), plus most also do NAT (Network Address Translation) where ONE IP address is shared among computers on your home LAN. Computers on this LAN are therefore assigned dummy IP addresses like “192.168.1.x” or “10.0.0.x” (which are standard “dummy addresses” for such use).

To therefore enable FTP servers to run on one machine on your local LAN, you have to tell the router/modem to forward incoming connections to port X to computer on local LAN with IP address 192.168.1.YYY or something. This is called “port forwarding”.

I am not currently a worldcall EVDO user - can people confirm what type of download/upload speeds they are getting.

On wateen WiMAX 1Mbps connection the upload/download speeds are typically:

950 kbps/170 kbps - latency 250ms (with the NYC server)

650 kbps/ 120 kbps - latency 210ms (with SF server)

So uploads are REALLY throttled by Wateen. This is the same for most DSL providers as well who will typically not go above 256kbps upload speeds, even if you are getting a 512kbps or 1Mbps connection.

You can test your speeds using:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

Pick a server in San Francisco, New York etc. and see the types of speeds you are getting for upload. Upload is important for uploading files, for video conferencing (where you also need to send lots of video data upstream).

This website is also often used but tends to give results on the higher end:

http://www.speedtest.net/

With speedtest.net, wateen gives speeds like:

920 kbps/ 160 kbps - latency 220ms

More info:

Latency is an indicator of travel time - lower latency is better. It means less delayed video conferencing or audio chat. Latency is larger if there are more "hops" (servers that the internet traffic has to go through).

You can test latency by typing the following in a "cmd" window (Start - Run - cmd):

ping www.google.com

You can see the servers that traffic goes through by doing:

tracert www.google.com