PTCL's Logic behind 4Mbps Package

I have been using PTCL Broadband Rs 1999 package since PTCL introduced it in 2007, the current speed for Rs 1999 package is 2mbit. I have never been able to understand the logic behind ptcl's fastest DSL package being so over-priced considering it's other two packages? Prices are supposed to go down (in RS per kb sense) when you go for higher connection right, this is true when you jump from 1mbit to 2mbit but the scenario for 2mbit to 4mbit is different. Here are some of my calculations for price per kb for each package (in RS)

1mbit = 1024kbit -------- 1199 Rs | 1199/1024 = 1.17 Rs Per Kbit

2mbit = 2048kbit -------- 1999 Rs | 1999/2048 = 0.97 Rs Per Kbit

4mbit = 4096kbit -------- 4999 Rs | 4999/4096 = 1.22 Rs Per Kbit

If we don't take student package into account which is now only for 1mbit connection, the price per kbit goes down when you go from 1mbit to 2mbit but for 4mbit the price is the highest and worst. Can anyone give some logical reasons why ptcl is doing this? firecruz?

here are my speculations:

1. PTCL is afraid the if they lower the price for 4mbit like 3500 Rs then more users will get that package and they may run out of their bandwith.

2. They might have legal problems with other smaller ISP's sueing them for bad pricing techniques, blablabla

3. Many lines in Pakistan are not capable of transmitting 4mbit data rate fluently without sync problems.

My guess is that the no.2 can be the most appropriate reason. If PTCL provides 4mbit connection with the simillar rs per kbit as 2mbit then 0.97 * 4096 = 3973 Rs, but i think 3750 Rs for 4mbit will be the best price and i will happily upgrade my 2mbit into 4mbit connection.

These calculations are not logical considering all of these packages are unlimited.

It should be more logical if its like this

With my 1Mb connection i can do 200GB-D/20GB-U with 24/7 usage so its

1200/200= 6 RS/GB

and ON 2MB connection it should be 400GB-D/40GB-U

2000/400= 5 RS/GB

and on 4MB connection it should be 800GB-D/80GB-U

5000/800= 6.25 RS/GB

Yes it cost higher per GB when u adopt for 4MB connection BUT look at the amount of data that you can achieve.... 800GB

I am a dload junkie but i don't even have 800Gig HDD/time to cater that much data....

I don't think there is any legal issue to begin with. One the other hand, IMO, PTCL is actually giving a chance to its depending ISP do business on some levels by making its 4MB connection high priced so ppl can opt for other isp if they wanna have 4MB connection. If these small time ISP have any issue, why don't they start their own landline service?

^^^

Why Rs/GB seems more logical to you, not everybody downloads 24/7 so i think its much better to go with Rs/kb, i have 2mbit connection since March 2009 and i don't remember downloading 400GB any month, if that was the case then i would have downloaded around 5TB but that is defintely not the case. High speed also means faster HD streaming and better pings in games while downloading simultaneously. If you look at Nayatels package they are providing 5 Mbit connection with unlimited bandwith from something 8:00 P.M. to 8:00 A.M. and 10 GB in the other 12 hours and their price is even lower then PTCL's 2mbit connection.

what about nayatel services, have anyone used them?

^Nayatel's really good but expensive and capped too!

4mb package is sure foolish and without any logical. I dont see any reason why its 4,999 per month. Also, ptcl has slow streaming and low pings on all packages.

and we all know that how fked this ptcl is acting ever since that under sea cable issue, i m thinking to change this if it goes on for next week. !@#$%^&*.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^^^

Why Rs/GB seems more logical to you, not everybody downloads 24/7 so i think its much better to go with Rs/kb, i have 2mbit connection since March 2009 and i don’t remember downloading 400GB any month, if that was the case then i would have downloaded around 5TB but that is defintely not the case. High speed also means faster HD streaming and better pings in games while downloading simultaneously. If you look at Nayatels package they are providing 5 Mbit connection with unlimited bandwith from something 8:00 P.M. to 8:00 A.M. and 10 GB in the other 12 hours and their price is even lower then PTCL’s 2mbit connection.

[/quote]

Its logical to me because whatever i am paying, I end up getting back in terms of GBs of data regardless of it being via direct dloading, torrenting, browsing, streaming or playing online games…

It doesn’t matter if ur doing streaming, playin online games etc. Its all downloading and uploading actually… cause lets say if have cap of 20GB U/D on ur connection and you have exhausted ur limit, will u be able to stream or play online games? I don’t think so.

as far as dloading 400GB a month and 5TB total are concerned, my calculations were theoretical… lots of factors involved in actual which won’t let you achieve the theoretical calculations.

Nayatel… what can i say?

I don’t believe in having a bicycle with flat tyre every 10 miles by day and at night time the bicycle turning into a speeding car with no limits no flat tyres.

Well everybody has their own choices/needs… and they are free to have what they want.