PTCL's i.p.s

What is the difference between 119.152.x.x and 116.71.x.x ?

Are they connected to rest of the world through different paths ?

Does PTCL or whoever PTCL buys bandwidth from filter (block few sites) traffic of 116.71.x.x ?

use tracert comand to check whether they have different path or same...

i have a question i have manually configured my ip and dns with the help of ptcl. can any one tell me is there any other dns other then they provided which works with ptcl.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

’]What is the difference between 119.152.x.x and 116.71.x.x ?

Are they connected to rest of the world through different paths ?

Does PTCL or whoever PTCL buys bandwidth from filter (block few sites) traffic of 116.71.x.x ?

[/quote]

These two are the local IPs of gateways used by PTCL to assign dynamic IP’s to the users. A gateway is just a router or a switch with a DHCP server to provide automatic IP assignments/routing.

For example, your DSL modem is you PC’s gateway. Its local IP is 192.168.1.1, If you have it assign your PC a IP automatically, your PC will always receive an IP in the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is the DHCP range of your modem.

Similarly, when your DSL modem connects to the PTCL, it actually connects to a router/switch which functions as a gateway for your modem. If you notice, if your automatically assigned gateway is 119.153.27.1 then your automatically assigned IP will always be between DHCP range of the gateway something like 199.153.27.xxx, and if your gateway is 116.xxx.xx.1 then you auto assigned IP will be something like 116.xxx.xx.xxx

So, answer to your second question. No, they are not connected to the world on different paths but just serve in a routing/IP assignment capacity. Of course, just as you can set up filters in your modem to filter out certain sites. It may be that one of the devices has filters set on them and the other does not.

They also do not have a role in speed allotment. The speed difference might be due to one of them malfunctioning or being overloaded (have more users connected to it)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i have a question i have manually configured my ip and dns with the help of ptcl. can any one tell me is there any other dns other then they provided which works with ptcl.
[/quote]

You can not configure your IP manually. IP will always be provided automatically by PTCL. You can configure your DNS servers and below is the list of some PTCL DNS servers that I have discovered.

You have to ping them to see if a particular one is online or not. The most reliable are the top 3

nvm what I wrote.

Mods, delete this post.

Hey guys ...wat do u think is OpenDNS more faster to use or the DNS provided by ptcl gives better results??

Well - depends. For multi-homed websites, OpenDNS may not be the solution for you (since your pings may be higher).

Try pinging Google w/ OpenDNS and with PTCL's DNS - you'll know what I mean. In fact, someone already has on the forums - search for it.