PTCL Woes - Please Help!

Sorry for the double post. Modreator, please delete the post from the General Forum and keep this.

Eid Mubarak Friends,

I have an issue that I would like your opinion on. I have been using PTCL broadband for past year. I have a 4 MB package. Everything was working very well with occasional disconnections once a week or so. The speed was very good and I was happy. Then, in September I received a letter from PTCL that they will be upgrading some back end phone stuff at Misri Shah exchange and my phone service may be disturbed for a week or so. Let me mention that I am in DHA Karachi phase 5. So, the upgrade week I had some service related issue but I was prepared and thought it will go away after they are done. It was not to be. During that week we had constant disconnects and since September I am suffering from the same issue. The issue is Internet is never on for more then few hours. It disconnects constantly. It seems modem synchs every so often and reboots itself. Sometimes diagnostics show DNS error or sometimes it just can't contact the ISP. The DSL light is usually Green. I opened a ticket with PTCL and online 2nd level support guy tried to configure the modem. It didn't help. I escalated the issue and they sent a guy home. This guy could not find anything. To be honest I don't know what he was going to find since modem was already configured. I called again and another second level guy told me that may be it is a back end port issue and he was going to have it fixed. No such luck. I called again and this time a new guy showed up with a new modem. We replaced the modem but same issue continued. Constant disconnects. I am at a complete loss and don't know what else to do. I am in IT for past 15 years and I think during the upgrade they f'ed up something and now can't resolve it. I am amazed that how can they call this an upgrade and break people's connections. I have few questions'

1. Should I give up and go with some other broadband service which will provide 4 MB service? My understanding is all DSL providers will use the same PTCL wire.

2. Is cable modem a good option in Karachi DHA?

3. Is there a solution for this current problem? Did anyone else experience this issue? I mean how can they just let this go on?

Here is my line Stats.

Status: No Defect Link Power State: L0 Downstream Upstream SNR Margin (dB): 23.7 6.0 Attenuation (dB): 42.0 23.4 Output Power (dBm): 19.8 12.6 Attainable Rate (Kbps): 17328 430 Rate (Kbps): 4091 430 MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 60 15 B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 20 13 M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 16 T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 6 3 R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 8 16 S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.1629 16.2712 L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 1424 118 D (interleaver depth): 384 1 Delay (msec): 15 4 Super Frames: 7585 7562 Super Frame Errors: 0 27 RS Words: 3003898 29646 RS Correctable Errors: 1007 40 RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A HEC Errors: 0 5416719 OCD Errors: 0 0 LCD Errors: 0 0 Total Cells: 1173395 2193308250 Data Cells: 1667 76697860 Bit Errors: 0 332746561 Total ES: 13 68689 Total SES: 8 22973 Total UAS: 54 60149

I see a lot of HEC errors. Is that ok? Is my srn level ok? I don't know how the read these numbers so please help me out.

Thanks

i belong to same xchange and i was facing same issues or you can say worst than your scenario. my SNR was in single digits and attenuation was arround 48 - 50. frequent disconnections, slow browsing, DNS not responding crap. but i got my number shifted from Copper network to ONU network fiber optic. . . . oh oh oh SNR is now 34 and attenuation is around 12, everything is stable getting constant speed no disconnections alhamdulillah / NO DNS errors. . so the solution to your problem is to find a line man feed him little bit and got your number + DSL shifted on ONU network.

How do I request this?

Just found out my street does not have opt. fibr. :(

thn try to get the pair changed.

Thanks. Will try and get pair changed if possible.