PTCL VDSL2 20mbps connection @15K

After being sick and tired of slow internet and having tried out literally every internet service in Karachi, I decided I had enough and applied today for the PTCL's 20mb vdsl2 package.

I figured at these prices, and with new equipment, this should work better, at least for a while. There is no cancellation charges either, so if it sucks I just loose the 10K installation fees + whatever days I used it.

What left a bad taste is PTCL's statement about being the first to implement VDSL2 worldwide, when a quick internet search makes it clear lots of other companies launched it years before PTCL. Why needlessly lie? I mean, it is amazing that 50mbps is being offered here, there is no need to lie about being the first to make it sound even better!

PTCL's is also selling a vdsl2 10mb package for 9,999 on their website, but on calling them I found it doesn't actually exist, because when you sign up for that they just connect you to a regular ADSL line. That annoys me - why why why does such a large company lie needlessly to it's customers, and why can't they update their damn websites with correct information!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
PTCL has become the 1st operator in the world to use VDSL2 Bonding technology to provide to its bandwidth hungry DSL customers with Bandwidth up to 50 Mbps on its existing Copper network.
[/quote].

Anyways, this thread will catalogue the journey to 20mbps...

Installation cost: 10k

Monthly charges: 15K for 20mbps, with option to upgrade to 50mbps for 20k.

waiting for your speedtest and modem results after your installation

You really are desperate for high speed consistent internet connectivity... :)

do post modem's pic...and have u applied as a business personal or for home usage?...since they have stated that it is not for home users....curios... :unsure:

DSL for 15k? :huh: I wonder if you'll even be able to utilize it completely...

Anyways, if you're wasting so much money on DSL, why didn't you go for the 20k for 50mbps package? Now, that sounds reasonable atleast...

[quote=“Upsilon, post:5, topic:15060”]

DSL for 15k? :huh: I wonder if you’ll even be able to utilize it completely…

Anyways, if you’re wasting so much money on DSL, why didn’t you go for the 20k for 50mbps package? Now, that sounds reasonable atleast…

[/quote]

dsl speeds drop as you move away from the exchange. You have to be within a km to get close to 50. At my distance from the exchange, the max throughput will be much lower.

@Asad, no all I want is working internet! right now my maxcom is on the blink and no response from phone calls at all. My area is a wimax dead zone as well.

I have heard that PTCL is not giving away VDSL to residential customers for now.... fear of 'reselling' may be....

But that remains to be seen.

You are jumping on it so quickly IMO. I mean its not like the VDSL is on stat-of-the-art fiber network. its on two same old phone lines for which you already have one and you know its condition. heck, we all do....

So basically you don't have any insurance that you will get what your paying for. Except this time you will be paying 10k+15k instead of what you would be paying for normal ADSL which are far less.

I for one, am against this experimentation and that 200$ external antenna as well which you mentioned in another thread :(

You could opt for a fresh /clean line directly from PTCL with 4mbps internet connection as an experiment. At least it would be lot cheaper experiment if it doesn't turn out well.

@Faisal, agree with you. But my house is in a wimax dead zone - tried them all, witribe gave up today as well, so no external antenna.

Recently put in a new line of Link.net 2mbps dsl, and that was intermittent and slow. Then put in a 6mpbs Worldcall thunder cable thingo and that didn't work faster than 1mbps so they refunded all the money for that either. Now I would have kept the 1mpbs connection, but to get the refund for the 6mp connection they said they had to cancel it completely. So I will put in a 1mbps worldcall back at some point. I figure it might not work at 6 but it should work at 1 for sure.

Maxcom has died, and don't respond to complaints at all anymore.

Now PTCL I know is impossible to get money back from if this doesn't work, so I'm hoping it does. I pay for it after installation, so if it doesn't work I'm just going to cancel the phone line altogether rather than pay for a non working connection. For the initial vdsl rollout ptcl seems to be using decent equipment, so hopefully it works close to as advertised.

Basically I live in a internet dead zone it seems...

Decent equipment as in new kind of modem/CPE right? If so, that would purely be a 'shashka' or better features BUT not necessarily better performance....

And what about the land line? have you asked them if there are gonna use same old pathetic copper lines the ones we already have or have the laid down a new infrastructure for VDSL ? If they are using same old copper lines then I will still recommend you trying a new 4mbps connection from PTCL. No MAXCOM involvement thought its owned by PTCL but still to sure.

I am assuming, relocating to a internet 'green zone' is not an option?

^ they are upgrading their lines in my area to better one's they called. i already see them digging up the roads.

copper or fiber? and where are u situated?

What about PTCL EVO?

You could try EVO with external anteena. (Nowadays they are giving free test)

I am also living in some sort of internet dead zone.

Using wateen with very low parameters with Buckeye device. Have you tried this device on roof top? In most cases they don't give Buckeye but with some 'chaye pani' sometimes you may get it.

I have placed it in a wood box on my roof top. I get 100+KB/s download speed from 11pm to 1pm and 60KB/s from 1pm to 11pm. Downloaded 44GB this month.

[quote=“Sumair, post:10, topic:15060”]

^ they are upgrading their lines in my area to better one’s they called. i already see them digging up the roads.

[/quote]

And in my city they are not even utilizing the USF fund which was alloted to PTCL’s fiber optic project as they are doing this: “Khaney ka, khujaney ka or So janey ka”

:(

Whenever I talk to the exchange, SDO etc. their reply is:

“Get EVO.”

[quote=“Imran, post:13, topic:15060”]

And in my city they are not even utilizing the USF fund which was alloted to PTCL’s fiber optic project as they are doing this: “Khaney ka, khujaney ka or So janey ka”

:(

Whenever I talk to the exchange, SDO etc. their reply is:

“Get EVO.”

[/quote]

The horrible thing with evo is, its speed is not constant and consistent.

[quote=“Imran, post:13, topic:15060”]

“Khaney ka, khujaney ka or So janey ka”

[/quote]

:lol:

Khalid already mentioned that he is in 'internet dead zone'. which makes more sense if you think it as in 'wireless dead zone' .

[quote=“Faisal, post:16, topic:15060”]

Khalid already mentioned that he is in ‘internet dead zone’. which makes more sense if you think it as in ‘wireless dead zone’ .

[/quote]

WiTribe sent a engineering team finally and came to the conclusion that my house is in a no-coverage zone, so you might just be right!

No progress on the PTCL front either. I expect they will say my house is more than 2.5 km from the exchange hence can’t support vdsl…

[quote=", post:17, topic:15060"]

WiTribe sent a engineering team finally and came to the conclusion that my house is in a no-coverage zone, so you might just be right!

No progress on the PTCL front either. I expect they will say my house is more than 2.5 km from the exchange hence can’t support vdsl…

[/quote]

VDSL would turn into a ~4mbps connection probably anyway after 2.5KM distance… i.e. if you can get it first which you should have by now. Lets hope for the best for you.:)

VDSL 20mb is installed or still not ? if yes then upload device pictures and tell us for which things they are charging 10k installation charges.

[quote=", post:19, topic:15060"]

VDSL 20mb is installed or still not ? if yes then upload device pictures and tell us for which things they are charging 10k installation charges.

[/quote]

No news. Called PTCL, they give the same spiel about installing in 7 working days. It has been more, of course. I don’t have much hope of it getting installed anyways, as I’m pretty sure my house is to far from the nearest exchange.