PTCL replacing copper with Fiber?

Today while a lineman was fixing my phone line said that PTCL is replacing the copper based backbones with fiberoptic cables. I thought that he was referring to ONU lines PTCL already provides but he said that PTCL is indeed replacing those obsolete thick cables running from exchange to the local distribution cabinet.

Don't know if it is true or not but if it is then we probably can finally start to think about ADSL2+

They are not doing it in our exchange. All underground cables are rotten.

not in my area too...!!! its lyk 100 pairs but only 14 with gud margins....those who have gud margins have variation in their margins....hope this is a gud news on large scale!!!!!

if they're REPLACING the copper with fiber, then what happens to the exclusive use of fibre for dsl by ptcl only?

The exclusivity should be done away with!

That should usher in a new revolution...

@maliksaab

Yep I hope it does.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

if they’re REPLACING the copper with fiber, then what happens to the exclusive use of fibre for dsl by ptcl only?

The exclusivity should be done away with!

That should usher in a new revolution…

[/quote]

well obviously the exclusivity will be done away with… since when you were asked to choose ONU they explicitly identified that you cannot use any other DSL connection aside PTCL’s own.

If they are to silently change all the backbones, they would probably allow other DSL providers to provide services on their ONUs.

they have not told me yet that when they would come in my area :((

they have not told me yet that when they would come in my area :((
[/quote]

Why are you waiting for ONU?

I had copper in my previous home and it was way better than ONU.

The battery backup also dies in Fiber Optic lines after load shedding, which means the line becomes dead!

The battery backup also dies in Fiber Optic lines after load shedding, which means the line becomes dead!

[/quote]

Net never died for me :>

[/quote]

i think… that i might get good ping then… hehe

The ONU lines do die during extreme loadshedding and that is a fact which I can confirm has happened to me many a times the UPS runs out its backup time and your line goes dead till the electricity is not restored!

I requested the change to fiber and it will cost me one time fee of around Rs550. Plus they said that i will get a new number and will have to forward my current copper number to the new fiber number. The forwarding cost will be around Rs10-15 per month. Regarding the line going down due to load shedding he said that 90% of that issue is fixed and most exchanges have generators and UPS and that i won't have to deal with this problem.

No ONU discussion plz.

on topic

Well I have no news if they planting/converting to fiber yet from my area so far....

I don't if they are actually doing that or not but i am wondering if they decide to do that.... what do you think they should do i mean either they should plant fiber optics along with their existing copper/ONU structure or will they replace it with copper/ONU ?

Today while a lineman was fixing my phone line said that PTCL is replacing the copper based backbones with fiberoptic cables. I thought that he was referring to ONU lines PTCL already provides but he said that PTCL is indeed replacing those obsolete thick cables running from exchange to the local distribution cabinet.

Don’t know if it is true or not but if it is then we probably can finally start to think about ADSL2+

[/quote]

Yaar you had first-hand-encounter with this news. Didn’t you ask him that from where they are actually starting that process ? city name or a specific place in that city?

Yaar you had first-hand-encounter with this news. Didn’t you ask him that from where they are actually starting that process ? city name or a specific place in that city?

[/quote]

I was told this by my lineman in Peshawar. He told me that the exchange staff are preparing to replace copper with fiber optics as all existing copper and fiber (ONU) connections in our area have gotten saturated and people applying for new connections aren’t getting them.

By the way as far as the saturation of ONU in my area is concerned he is right, but regarding the backbone replacement, I myself, will only believe this when they do replace it. One more thing, given the current electricity situation in our country, i think replacing the somewhat more reliable copper backbones with fiber may not be something we all need because the land-line is something that needs to be utmost reliable as an emergency doesn’t discriminate between time of load-shedding and those times in which there is electricity. If your land-line doesn’t work then it probably should be a more of a bad thing than having a stable internet service is good. What do you think?

ahem ahem, i maybe wrong but i think our exchange already have fibre-optic lines. The lines coming from the exchange to DP. However, if it is indeed true that PTCL is doing it on mass bases then its certainly a good news because fibre lines are must if we ever want to see better then 4mb/8mb packages

ahem ahem, i maybe wrong but i think our exchange already have fibre-optic lines. The lines coming from the exchange to DP. However, if it is indeed true that PTCL is doing it on mass bases then its certainly a good news because fibre lines are must if we ever want to see better then 4mb/8mb packages
[/quote]

I think thats ONU if I am not wrong.

I was told this by my lineman in Peshawar. He told me that the exchange staff are preparing to replace copper with fiber optics as all existing copper and fiber (ONU) connections in our area have gotten saturated and people applying for new connections aren’t getting them.

By the way as far as the saturation of ONU in my area is concerned he is right, but regarding the backbone replacement, I myself, will only believe this when they do replace it. One more thing, given the current electricity situation in our country, i think replacing the somewhat more reliable copper backbones with fiber may not be something we all need because the land-line is something that needs to be utmost reliable as an emergency doesn’t discriminate between time of load-shedding and those times in which there is electricity. If your land-line doesn’t work then it probably should be a more of a bad thing than having a stable internet service is good. What do you think?

[/quote]

Well of course that’s a good thing if they are replacing it all with fiber but than again, its yet to be seen…

As far as i know the copper lines also need power to work but copper line carrying only voice/data signal are not so much power hungry… they have installed power supplies/generator at exchanges so when there’s power outage, phone lines still works. And its been done a long time ago so that’s how u get the impression of copper being more reliable when comes to power outage.