PTCL ONU gives Better Game Gaming pings than PTCL Copper DSL?

Hey i Play these online multi-player games on my Steam:

First Person Shooter (FPS) Games:

-Battlefield: Bad Company 2

-Counter Strike: Source

-Counter Strike: 1.6

-Killing Floor

-Left for Dead 2

Real Time Strategy (RTS) Games:

-Company of Heroes

-Dawn of War 2

My current copper 1mb connection Disconnects a lot, before i had 2mb student package when PTCL disabled Student package in 2mb, i then transfered my self to 1mb student package.

If i Play 1 hour of any of Above Games on Multi-Player Online max downloaded Data is 40mb & max Uploaded data is 20mb, So This means Connection 1mb & 2mb both will have no difference in Online Multi-Player Gaming.

In Pings/Latency Download & Upload SPEED (1mb,2mb,4mb,6mb & 8mb) DOES NOT MATTER, only thing matters is HOW FAST MY SIGNAL reaches the people i'm playing with.

By the way my current internet disconnects when ever light is gone, but my phone is works fine(i only use my land-line for DSL only)

My Questions:

-Will ONU improve my Pings/Latency in Games??

-Any one has Online Gaming Experience with ONU here?

-With ONU we have to Pay Any Monthly Charges??

-is it worth getting ONU for getting good pings on with International Players & Game Servers?? If yes, how much is the Ping Improvement/Difference??

Waiting for your response

thanks in advance

First, my stats:

Modem Status

Modem Status

Connection Status Connected

Us Rate (Kbps) 509

Ds Rate (Kbps) 1021

US Margin 20

DS Margin 31

Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt.bis

LOS Errors 0

DS Line Attenuation 5

US Line Attenuation 4

Peak Cell Rate 1200 cells per sec

CRC Rx Fast 0

CRC Tx Fast 0

CRC Rx Interleaved 0

CRC Tx Interleaved 220

Path Mode Interleaved

DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0

Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Misc things you should note:-

- I still face disconnections and all that s-h-i-t.

- Ping is 210ms - 230ms when i ping open dns servers.

- ONU is most likely to AFFECT the pings negatively.

- Modem chipset affects the ping as well. I was told that broadcomm CPU chip based modems are the best. Havent found any so far. I used ZTE 831-II C and pings were as low as 170ms to open DNS servers. It was a copper line and this observation was made prior to problems with underwater cable.

- Use Leatrix latency fix.

- You are in Pakistan. So, ONU is as #$%# as copper line. Unless you are neighbor of a PTCL telco exchange, FORGET having peace of mind and nice services.

- Only PTCL DSL works on ONU lines.

- If possible, ask LDN to give you service via a reach card. Usually, they use it on long reach lines only.

well i play bfbc2 on my onu n u try to connect on saudi or dubai server u will get good ping 185 something and for l4d2 try connect mbl server

l4d2.dsl.net.pk:27010 hope it helps

well today after some hours of disconnection of my DSL i am observing better pings on ONU pings hav reduced upto 20-30ms :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

First, my stats:

Modem Status

Modem Status

Us Rate (Kbps) 509

Ds Rate (Kbps) 1021

US Margin 20

DS Margin 31

Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt.bis

LOS Errors 0

DS Line Attenuation 5

US Line Attenuation 4

Peak Cell Rate 1200 cells per sec

CRC Rx Fast 0

CRC Tx Fast 0

CRC Rx Interleaved 0

CRC Tx Interleaved 220

Path Mode Interleaved

DSL Statistics

Misc things you should note:-

- I still face disconnections and all that s-h-i-t.

- Ping is 210ms - 230ms when i ping open dns servers.

- ONU is most likely to AFFECT the pings negatively.

- Modem chipset affects the ping as well. I was told that broadcomm CPU chip based modems are the best. Havent found any so far. I used ZTE 831-II C and pings were as low as 170ms to open DNS servers. It was a copper line and this observation was made prior to problems with underwater cable.

- Use Leatrix latency fix.

- You are in Pakistan. So, ONU is as #$%# as copper line. Unless you are neighbor of a PTCL telco exchange, FORGET having peace of mind and nice services.

- Only PTCL DSL works on ONU lines.

- If possible, ask LDN to give you service via a reach card. Usually, they use it on long reach lines only.

[/quote]

My stats:

Modem Status

Modem Status

Us Rate (Kbps) 1024

Ds Rate (Kbps) 4096

US Margin 8

DS Margin 25

Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt

LOS Errors 0

DS Line Attenuation 16

US Line Attenuation 10

Peak Cell Rate 2415 cells per sec

CRC Rx Fast 0

CRC Tx Fast 0

CRC Rx Interleaved 0

CRC Tx Interleaved 0

Path Mode Interleaved

DSL Statistics

-how are my above stats are they good/normal or bad??

-PTCL Exchange is near my Home, its on 5 minutes of walking distance only.

-So i Think ONU Exchange might be far away then, or they use same PTCL exchanges??

-is Huawei Modem any better than Shiro Modem?? i got Shiro Modem (if i get new connection on ONU what modem will i get??)

@Devil

Your stats are ideal, i would say.

ONU exchange of my area is different than that of copper lines. So, you have to check with your exchange staff.

Huawei modem is good for copper lines. However, you should try to get ZTE 831C-II with 4 lan ports. If possible, you should try Netgear dg834gv5 (conexant chipset) or LinkSys WAG120N or LinkSys WAG160N. I prefer Netgear dg834gv4 as it is based upon broadcomm modem chipset. However, it is not available in pak to the best of my knowledge.

For your DC problem:

Try having your port changed from exchange, get your phone line pair changed, and ask lineman to make fresh joints of your line on ptcl poles. Try your luck, i did not succeed getting any of it done. :D

You can also try to have your phone service line removed from the DSL card in exchange. It has something to do with DSLAM i guess. If done, you shall have internet current in your line. No dialtone/telephony service anymore. Again, i have not tried this for my line so far.

So far, i do not know any solution to the disconnections problem. No matter what you do, it shall happen anyways.

i also want to have to have stable and low pings for international servers like for US server.. chaklala exchange infront of fauji towers is maximum 1.5km far from my home by longer route.. it could b less than this..

So suggest me also.:)

btw .. how u all play COD or strike game?

i have no idea :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

i also want to have to have stable and low pings for international servers like for US server… chaklala exchange infront of fauji towers is maximum 1.5km far from my home by longer route… it could b less than this…

So suggest me also.:)

btw … how u all play COD or strike game?

i have no idea :)

[/quote]

I don’t think so you will get ping less than 100 or 200 to any US server.

Becoz ping depends on distance.

More your distance from the server higher your ping will be.

ONU gives better ping but you won’t be having good latency to US servers.

I am on ONU and i used to get good latency before that ptcl ping problem.

Because of ping problem now i get 280+ ping to pakistani game servers.

Whereas i used to get 250 ping on servers outside pakistan before the problem and 10 to 20 latency inside pakistan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download counter strike on your computer.

Go to game-monitor.com to find pakistani CS servers.

Copy their IP and Paste it in your game in FAVOURITES tab in Find Server.