PTCL offers 256kbps broadband package

PTCL has introduced a new 256Kbps Broadband data rate in addition to its existing Broadband data rate packages. The New 256 Kbps data rate is offered to the customers at Rs. 299 / month with 1Gb download limit. Existing customer can also avail this package but they have to pay one time charges of Rs.1500 as downgrade charges.

Source: PTCL's website...

It's a good move by PTCL for those who use internet only for browsing purposes, not for heavy downloading...but i didn't get the logic behind charging Rs.1500 for downgrading the package...

good package for those who are using dial up internet and low in budget.

But 256KB isn't a good speed for browsing.

It should be 1MB.

I have heard that the package is only available to rural areas of Pakistan and not in metropolitan cities. Is that true?

256kbps is good but download of 1gb is not good. it should be at least 10gb

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have heard that the package is only available to rural areas of Pakistan and not in metropolitan cities. Is that true?
[/quote]

I myself read the Advertisement in today’s newspaper and there was written nowhere that this is available in only rural areas.

Anyway ZONG is offering the very same speed , more data i.e., 2 GB and also low charges= Rs.240 including all taxes card loading charges…

@ mysterio92

are you getting 256 kb from zong? is it possible?

256kbps ? 1GB cap? :o

Thumbs down PTCL :/

Rest of the world goes forward by achieving more and more and here we are, destined to go to stone ages.

Totally pointless even for dial up customers. I mean its not like they are offering it on dial up modems where DSL is not available. You have to have a DSL for this too so why opt 256kbps? and whats with the stupid cap?

Consistent latency problems,downloading is fluctuating alot.Introducing silly packages.. don't miss a chance to rip us off.. look at the downgrading charges..totally nonsense.

This service is basically for people who rarely use internet, people who just want to check their emails, maybe browse facebook. 256kbps is good enough for that. Remember how everyone a few years ago had 256kbps, and was satisfied with that? They shouldn't put a download cap on it, instead they should make a speed reduction threshold. For example, 256kbps till 2 GB, 128kbps from 2 to 4GB, 64kbps from 4GB onwards.

@Imran: Their cheapest per mbps package, 4mbps at 2000, comes to Rs.500/mbps. If they made the 1mbps package Rs.300, no one would buy their current 1,2 or 4mbps packages.

Ah my verdict...Offer is gud but the cap is a joke. lyk come on 1GB!!! it should be at-least 6-10GB package. And the revert thingy is a total rip-off...i guess its actually to encourage new customers and discourage downgrade.! if the cap is increased then the package is gud.! And admittedly PTCL bowed down on accepting the fact wat their lines can deliver.

This service is basically for people who rarely
[/quote]

Define rarely.

And since I have used a 4mbps connection, I would never go for even 3.5 mbps not even from my cable wala. so count me out.

^People who don't use it daily. Who use it more like every other day or on the weekends, for menial tasks like checking emails, reading an online paper, or chatting. The speed 256kbps is sufficient for most of this stuff. The download cap is what sucks. And remember this is only $3.5/month, how much more speed would you expect at this price, in this country?

This can be done with dial up perfectly and even in those areas where DSL is not available yet. Price is not an issue of the 256kbps though but If you use dial up for that stuff once or twice a week for that mentioned stuff above, the cost would be even low.

@ mysterio92

are you getting 256 kb from zong? is it possible?

[/quote]

Yes, it is possible, I got 30 kBytes/s speed using ZONG EDGE internet here in Multan.

this 1 Gb download limit move by PTCL sux...

Yes, it is possible, I got 30 kBytes/s speed using ZONG EDGE internet here in Multan.

[/quote]

well, i often use GPRS or EDGE because my PTCL Dsl isn’t that much stable, but i never got this much speed on EDGE…

This is EXCELLENT package BUT 1GB..Is PTCL really insane...??? Even browsing the sites and No download would eat 1GB very quickly..This is JUST silly!

Make it 10GB and I gonna shift to this package as I do not download movies and my work is only on mails or browsing sites!