PTCL Modem + Router

I have connected my ptcl shrio modem (bridge mode) with my router linksys wrt54g under (PPPoe).

The router IP is 192.168.1.254

My IP is 192.168.1.100

Modem IP is 192.168.1.1

I want to be able to access the modem page while I'm connected to the router. The router and the modem are on the same subnet.

Any help?

change either of the IP series....

u can chose 1.1.1.1 for modem

2.2.2.2 for router...

and u r done...

Assign different gateways to the router and modem e.g. 192.168.1.1 for modem and 192.168.2.1 for router

Thanks for the advice but no use.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have connected my ptcl shrio modem (bridge mode) with my router linksys wrt54g under (PPPoe).

The router IP is 192.168.1.254

My IP is 192.168.1.100

Modem IP is 192.168.1.1

I want to be able to access the modem page while I’m connected to the router. The router and the modem are on the same subnet.

Any help?

[/quote]

I have the same router connected to a zte modem. You are using PPPoe setting in your router? why? Use either the “automatic configuration -DHCP” if you want the modem to assign an IP to your router or “Static IP” if you want to force your modem to assign the router a fixed IP.

Give your modem the Local IP 192.168.1.1

Give your router the Local IP 192.168.2.1

then select automatic configuration -DHCP and see it if it works.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Man you guys don't have any networking skills at all!

you don't want two DHCP servers in your network set up....it may give you connectivity, but it'll cause lots of problems later on

here's what you should do:

1. restore your ptcl router/modem to the settings that they gave you, i.e. take it out of bridge mode and put it back to pppoe mode

next follow this to make your second router work..

Here's how to do it:

1. First thing, plug in the power to the wireless router, but do not connect it to your network yet.

2. Attach one computer using a category 5 network cable to one of the wireless router's LAN ports. Make sure this computer is set to automatically receive a IP address from the wireless router's DHCP server.

3. Login to the wireless router using the computer that is connected to it. Now that we're in the router configuration, we can make the changes we need to turn this wireless router into a wireless access point.

4. You can leave the WAN configuration in the wireless router completely empty. The WAN part of the wireless router won't be used when it is being used as a wireless access point.

5. Set the LAN IP address of the wireless router so it is compatible with your existing network. For example, if your current network uses the 192.168.1.x network, then make sure the wireless router is on the same network. Different companies use different LAN numbers such as 192.168.0.x or 192.168.2.x. We need the wireless router to function on the existing network. Give it an IP address that is easy to remember. For example, if your current wired router is 192.168.0.1, then you can give the wireless router 192.168.0.2 which is only one number away from the wired router number (which you probably already know by heart).

6. Turn off the DHCP server on the wireless router. There can only be one DHCP server on your network, and it should be the DHCP server on your wired router, not the wireless router.

7. Implement the same wireless security settings. You want to keep your wireless network as safe as possible.

8. Now that your wireless router uses the same IP numbering scheme and has the DHCP server turned off, it is basically a wireless access point. We have to hook it up to our existing network. You do this by connecting a Category 5 cable between the LAN port of your existing router / network to the LAN port of your new wireless access point. Do not connect it to the WAN/Internet port of the wireless access point. Depending on your router / access point manufacturer, you may need to use a crossover cable instead of a standard straight through cable. On my Netgear WGT624 wireless router turned wireless access point, I use a straight through cable without any problems. You may need to experiment with this.

There you have it. You added wireless capabilities to your existing wired network by using a wireless router as a wireless access point.

Man you guys don’t have any networking skills at all!
[/quote]

I don’t want to be rude but weren’t you the one who was asking help on connecting a “huawei mt880 DSL modem to netgear WRT624 router” just a few days ago? So, now after three days you have become the absolute authority on networking! dictating who possesses networking skills and who does not!

Your procedure might work, I do not know, but what you have done is that you have turned you Router into a dumb access point and you have given control to your modem.

This is okay if you have a good quality modem, but if you are like most PTCl customers then you are most likley using their cheap ZTE, Shiro etc modems. Why would you want to give a low quality modem control over your powerful Router?

I my case, I have designated my Linksys Router as the boss and the ZTE modem as the Lackey.

Modem has the local IP set to 192.168.1.1 and has its DHCP enabled.

“Ethernet out” from the modem goes into “Internet in” of the Router.

Router has the local IP set to 192.168.2.1 and also has its DHCP enabled. Further more, I have assigned my Router a static IP of 192.168.1.3, using gateway 192.168.1.1

I have set my computer to a static IP of 192.168.2.3, using gateway 192.168.2.1

My computer can not see the modem and corresponds only with the Router. The modem can not see my computer and it too corresponds only with the Router. My Router sees both and delegates the tasks and trust me it does a far better job then my ZTE modem. I do not know the quality of Huawei modems so I can not comment on connectivity issues in your case, but in my opinion you should set your Netgear Router as the one delegating tasks, not your modem.

you don’t want two DHCP servers in your network set up…it may give you connectivity, but it’ll cause lots of problems later on

[/quote]

Yes you can have two DHCP servers running in one network if you assign your modem and router two different IP addresses.

Modem IP 192.168.1.1 has DHCP server running from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.xxx

Router IP 192.168.2.1 has DHCP server running from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.xxx

There will be no conflicts, no interference, nothing…

I don’t want to be rude but weren’t you the one who was asking help on connecting a “huawei mt880 DSL modem to netgear WRT624 router” just a few days ago? So, now after three days you have become the absolute authority on networking! dictating who possesses networking skills and who does not!

There will be no conflicts, no interference, nothing…

[/quote]

I didn’t mean to offend anyone at all…it’s just that having two DHCP servers on your network isn’t recommended. Oh and yes, it will cause problems in your network and cause a lot of headaches if you’re streaming.

Oh and i posted that topic because i just wanted to know what you guys have done with your wireless setups. I’m not saying i’m good at networking, but i get annoyed when people post botched methods of doing stuff. Anyway i did my research at the end and figured what i needed to do, and i posted another topic with a similar guide to help PTCL users out.

Oh and to set up your network out properly (thus leaving a single DHCP server), you should put your PTCL router into bridge mode and set up the PPPoE settings on your linksys. I hope you don’t mind this bit of info.

I didn’t mean to offend anyone at all…it’s just that having two DHCP servers on your network isn’t recommended. Oh and yes, it will cause problems in your network and cause a lot of headaches if you’re streaming.

Oh and i posted that topic because i just wanted to know what you guys have done with your wireless setups. I’m not saying i’m good at networking, but i get annoyed when people post botched methods of doing stuff. Anyway i did my research at the end and figured what i needed to do, and i posted another topic with a similar guide to help PTCL users out.

Oh and to set up your network out properly (thus leaving a single DHCP server), you should put your PTCL router into bridge mode and set up the PPPoE settings on your linksys. I hope you don’t mind this bit of info.

[/quote]

Thats okay… I was only moderately offended. There are many ways to add wireless capability to your existing wired connection. So, if you have found one that works for you, it does not mean the rest of us using other methods have all gone senile.

Your way is fine. If you are okay with it go ahead and use it.

DHCP server provides automatic IP assignments to devices requesting a connection. If you have a modem with one DHCP range and a router with a different DHCP range on the same network it should not cause any problems. When you connect to the router the router’s DHCP will assign you a IP automatically and when you connect to the modem the modem’s DHCP will assign you a IP automatically.

You can also choose to provide an IP to your devices yourself and disregard the router’s/modem’s DHCP servers. In that case even if your modem/router are running DHCP servers, they will not be used.

I have been running a DHCP server in my modem as well as router for the last 6 months without encountering any problems. Downloading/uploading works fine both on HTTP as well as Torrents.

Well guys I'm using ZTE modem with TP link Wireless router.

I leave 192.168.1.1 (DHCP Enable) for Modem

Assign 192.168.2.1 (DHCP Enable) to Router

PC (Automatic assign IP)

Browsing and HTTP downloading is fine but torrents ports are causing problem... when I enable uPNP enable in Modem it doesn't see my PC same case with router...

I can't see Port forward setting in ZTE...

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Thanx guys ..

Well guys I’m using ZTE modem with TP link Wireless router.

I leave 192.168.1.1 (DHCP Enable) for Modem

Assign 192.168.2.1 (DHCP Enable) to Router

PC (Automatic assign IP)

Browsing and HTTP downloading is fine but torrents ports are causing problem… when I enable uPNP enable in Modem it doesn’t see my PC same case with router…

I can’t see Port forward setting in ZTE…

Any help would be highly appreciated…

Thanx guys …

[/quote]

There are quite a few ways to do this, I will mention one that I use

You need to assign static IP to both your PC and your router. Then forward ports.

Example: based on what you wrote above

Go to the TCP/IPv4 setting of your PC adapter and put the following:

Use IP Address 192.168.2.3

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.2.1

DNS 203.99.163.243

Then you need to go to the setup setting of your router. There choose an option that allows you to manually enter an IP.

enter following:

IP 192.168.1.3

subnet 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS 203.99.163.243

Now you need to go your ZTE modem setting page “advanced” “NAT” “Virtual server” and you need to

Click "Add"

Select "Customized Service"

Give it a suitable name.

Select desired protocol TCP/UDP

Define the ports to be forwarded in the “External Port” add specific port or a range of ports like 30200:30300

Add the same port or port range above in the "Internal Port"

In the “internal Server IP” add your router static IP 192.168.1.3

Upnp does not work for ZTE modem. but it should work in your router if it is good quality one. But enable both. If your ports are not forwarded you need to perform the same port forward setting for your router but use the Static IP for your local PC

Let me know if you still have problems

Fit yaar ... :-)

Thank you sooo much Raza0007 ...

Very nice and easy guide.. Torrents are working fine :-))

I'm really obliged.

By the way speed is also improved i think due to DNS servers ..

^ Glad to be of service.

I my case, I have designated my Linksys Router as the boss and the ZTE modem as the Lackey.

Modem has the local IP set to 192.168.1.1 and has its DHCP enabled.

“Ethernet out” from the modem goes into “Internet in” of the Router.

Router has the local IP set to 192.168.2.1 and also has its DHCP enabled.

[/quote]

I have followed this far and both the wired and wireless are working fine. Please advise if I need to proceed further. Thanks. In case yes, How do I do the ones below? Can you please elaborate a bit further?

Further more, I have assigned my Router a static IP of 192.168.1.3, using gateway 192.168.1.1

I have set my computer to a static IP of 192.168.2.3, using gateway 192.168.2.1

[/quote]

Much obliged,

Faisal

v9s dude there is a reason behind buying a expensive wireless broadband router, rather than buying a cheaper wireless access point

i had aztech dsl605EW and huawei hg510, I used to do the same as uve told, using only 1 DHCP server, and using aztech router just as a wifi access point.

and now i have Linksys WRT54G2 connected to huawei hg510 (just like isharis has connected his shiro modem, using bridge), and there are various benefits + browsing is a bit faster

Tell a way in which we can access the modem's interface without changing bridge mode setting

I have followed this far and both the wired and wireless are working fine. Please advise if I need to proceed further. Thanks. In case yes, How do I do the ones below? Can you please elaborate a bit further?

Much obliged,

Faisal

[/quote]

Faisal, follow the procedure described in post#11 above. Just ignore the “port forwarding procedure”, the rest of the procedure applies for general connection between a your PC, router and modem.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Thanks a lot Raza and sorry for my belated response.

I haven't assigned static ip but all laptops and pc are working fine.

I will follow the method you mentioned in case I have a problem.

Much obliged

Faisal

v9s dude there is a reason behind buying a expensive wireless broadband router, rather than buying a cheaper wireless access point

i had aztech dsl605EW and huawei hg510, I used to do the same as uve told, using only 1 DHCP server, and using aztech router just as a wifi access point.

and now i have Linksys WRT54G2 connected to huawei hg510 (just like isharis has connected his shiro modem, using bridge), and there are various benefits + browsing is a bit faster

Tell a way in which we can access the modem’s interface without changing bridge mode setting

[/quote]

Bridging the modem to a wireless router does what you said, it lets you use the advanced features of the wireless router. Unfortunately, after bridging, you won’t be able to access the modem page. To do this, you’ll have to take the modem ethernet connection OUT from the “Internet” port of the wireless router, to one of the lan ports to access it temporarily.

There are many ways of doing stuff…choose what you like best.

Guys I have to buy a wifi router to use with huawei HG510 I got from ptcl for broadband and smart tv, which model/router you guys will recommend.

Requirements : Price : under 5K (preferably)

Some basic reasonable firewall.

Should support 3 laptops connections in parallel (wifi) and one wired PC.

Also in above discussion I am seeing a combination of modem and router , (as I will probably return the smart tv device after June, and they will take this modem back too afaik) , can't we use the wifi router directly , putting their modem aside ? , or we need to have this modem + router combination to make this work ?

Guys I have to buy a wifi router to use with huawei HG510 I got from ptcl for broadband and smart tv, which model/router you guys will recommend.

Requirements : Price : under 5K (preferably)

Some basic reasonable firewall.

Should support 3 laptops connections in parallel (wifi) and one wired PC.

Also in above discussion I am seeing a combination of modem and router , (as I will probably return the smart tv device after June, and they will take this modem back too afaik) , can’t we use the wifi router directly , putting their modem aside ? , or we need to have this modem + router combination to make this work ?

[/quote]

hey mate Just my 2 cents…

You should gofor a device which has all-in-one features like adsl+ethernet/wifi/router etc… for that purpose i’m using a kost-effektive multipurpose thing called TP-Link TD-W8920G - Super G & eXtended Range 108M Wireless ADSL2+ Router (there are plenty more from many other manufacturers but they do cost a fraktion more than this)

Kost: 4000/-

acme.net.pk