PTCL Landline Vs OPTICAL Fiber line

I am a bit confused about the difference of PTCL Landline and OPTiCAL Fiber line.

* What are the connection charges for Optical fiber line ?

* Are the tarrifs same?

* How do I apply for Optical fiber line

I have heard that the number is in different series as compared to (copper cable landline). I know that Exchange to ONU is Optical fiber and DB to home is normal copper.

Thanks

any idea?

ONU numbers are different and should have better connectivity and services compared to the copper line. Unfortunately, PTCL lacks competent personnel for fiber communications and so services that already work on copper line do not work on fiber.

* What are the connection charges for Optical fiber line ?

Not sure. You can search the PTCL DSL thread and you will find the answer there.

* Are the tariffs same?

Yes the call rates, DSL rates, etc. are the same. Not sure about line rent.

* How do I apply for Optical fiber line

You have to go to your exchange for that. They don't take these orders on Helpline. (They might even ask to write an application).

Yes, the numbers are in different series as compared to (copper cable landlines).

Why do you need to install/switch-to ONU? If DSL works on your Copper line then you shouldn't switch.

IPTV service is not available on ONU.

I believe that you can't install any other company's DSL on ONU, you will be stuck with PTCL forever (correct me on this if i am wrong)

However, if you are having troubles then ONU is better. Optical Fiber is a far better medium for communication!

There are no special charges for ONU line. Everything is same except the hardware. ONU line quality is much better than the copper line.

I have my PTCl landline replaced by optic fibre but dun knw how much it charged coz my dad paid the price

It gives a very good quality while talking to someone on phone and with PTCL LandLine I connected at 50.6kbps on cybernet pre-paid card but with optic fibre I always connect at 115Kbps

^ why are you using ONU for using dial up?

i mean no offence but thats just a bit stupid

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ why are you using ONU for using dial up?

i mean no offence but thats just a bit stupid

[/quote]

?

What do you mean to say?

^ i mean to say gettin an ONU line for dial up is unnecessary the max speed u get on dial up is perfectly achievable on normal copper lines ONU is overkill for dial up

Using dial-up was not the major cause for replacing copper wire with optic fibre

I just got it replaced coz it gives better quality reception when talking and is faster than copper wire

charges for new fiber line i think its around 900-1000 rs and yes off course fiber line is more stable and have more capacity for data traveling and even more on fiber line you dont have usual distance issue regarding DSL service :)

Using dial-up was not the major cause for replacing copper wire with optic fibre

I just got it replaced coz it gives better quality reception when talking and is faster than copper wire

[/quote]

fair enough

charges for new fiber line i think its around 900-1000 rs and yes off course fiber line is more stable and have more capacity for data traveling and even more on fiber line you dont have usual distance issue regarding DSL service :)
[/quote]

Are (1000 CHARGES One time ?

What about the line rent?

Are (1000 CHARGES One time ?

What about the line rent?

[/quote]

yes this is one time first time installation, and line rent same as normal PTCL lines 175 rs per month

1000 PKR :s

Means, I am going to pay 1000+700 PKR for the installation of a faulty "new" PTCL line. :(

PS: Is it just me or what! Whenever I try to do anything with PTCL; I am faced with a huge amount of bad luck!

Got a new number, ONU. They closed my previous number. Optical numbers have different series. First bill has Rupees 500 + bill amount.

DSL service has increased manifold. First it would only sync at 512. Now im using 2mbps.

Voice quality is considerably better too.

same quality

i even got better on copper than many optical users

its all luck.......

Is there any sound behind the tone on ONU?

If you press a key, then the tone goes away... even then i can hear some continuous tone (very low in intensity)...

What i think is that if I press a key, the phone speaker should go perfect silent...

(this is *not* the sha sha or gar gar in the line)

Should I categorize this into a faulty line?

PS: very difficult for me to put it in text, hope the reader understands my point :)

last night i called the ptcl 1236 and asked for optic fiber line against normal coper line they told me to contact 111-202020 for any information on that information but i did'nt make a call due to some problems hope i will call them soon

Just get a ONU, if given the choice. Its always wise to future proof yourself.