PTCL IPTV (Project)

This is the sticky thread for PTCL's IPTV service, as requested in the general IPTV thread. Please continue any discussion pertinent to PTCL IPTV in this thread.

Well, I certainly want to see what other features we have in the IPTV thingi.

I think there's a way for people to watch two different channels, but for that, you need two different STBs.

And - that 2-5 second delay occurs on satellite television as well. I wouldn't really worry about it. It's just like sorting out a stream and playing it. If that's done right, then you get the picture quicker. 2-5 seconds is somewhat normal.

Well.....I don't think IPTV will be much successful at its launch. Here people fight with local cable walas about the increase in monthly cable payment. How r they gonna pay more than thousand rupess for IPTV.

The one thing that he mentioned that is bugging me, is the single TV issue, so If I wanted to watch on 2 TVs (different channels) how would that work?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The one thing that he mentioned that is bugging me, is the single TV issue, so If I wanted to watch on 2 TVs (different channels) how would that work?
[/quote]

i dont think thats possible. PTCL will be providing a 4mbps line for IPTV. Which i believe is only sufficient for 1 channel at a time.

They have started a new website i guess http://www.ptcl.net/

Multiple STBs, one connection.

That's how a decoder works... unless it supports dual view.

And dual-view decoders, AFAIK, don't support every channel line up on BOTH televisions... like a certain batch is available for one TV, while another batch is available for another. I may be wrong (and I hope so) but the only way is to get another decoder/STB.

I think these guys will be cheaper than we think. They have to penetrate in the market!

any information tht copper line users would be able to get IPTV ??? i m 3.5 kms away from the exchange... i guess the max i can get is 2mbps connection

any information tht copper line users would be able to get IPTV ??? i m 3.5 kms away from the exchange… i guess the max i can get is 2mbps connection
[/quote]

i am on copper… if u can get 2mbps or 1mbps on ur line without any problems… chances are u might be able to get iptv too.

Check this image guys..someone posted it on some other forums..

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5861/ptclbr7.jpg

Check this image guys…someone posted it on some other forums…

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5861/ptclbr7.jpg

[/quote]

i don’t understand 9000 for a year and if not 1499 per month but with what speed 512 alone cost 1200 and if 1499 per month for tv the they are way too much anyone care to explain?

i think its photoshpped coz if u go to the site ptcl.net noneof that is actually written there

i think its photoshpped coz if u go to the site ptcl.net noneof that is actually written there
[/quote]

No, it is not.It was actually taken few days ago then ptcl removed the price…

PTCL IPTV menu posted by someone,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PTCL+IPTV&search_type=

Looks pretty impressive! Nice overview. Reminds me of DTH. DTH should also start soon.

Looks pretty impressive! Nice overview. Reminds me of DTH. DTH should also start soon.
[/quote]

DTH was supposed to start in NOV 2005. LOL

Where Is PTCL IPTV?

Eager consumers in Pakistan have been waiting for months to get specific details about the pricing and availability of IPTV by PTCL. No official word yet but launch date has been moved several times. Various online forums have been reported a limited trial going on in select cities and PTCL has started advertising IPTV on their website and broadband portals. This teaser website tells you about the “mouth-watering features” but all the links there are non-functional.

I have been using IPTV service by Verizon at my home for a while and I have come to like it. Of course many of the interesting features come with additional price tags. The performance and usability may not be that great in the beginning. As we have talked here in the past triple play is a powerful opportunity for PTCL to stabilize its position — only if it executes well.

There are other practical considerations as well. At telecom grid pakistan, there was a question about how lack of electricity will impact the IPTV service. Well, if you are into personal video recorders, you better arrange for the uninterrupted power supply as well.

http://telecompk.net/2008/05/20/where-is-ptcl-iptv/

there was a question about how lack of electricity will impact the IPTV service. Well, if you are into personal video recorders, you better arrange for the uninterrupted power supply as well.
[/quote]

lol good point.

so any news when IPTV will launch?

^very soon :D

^very soon :D
[/quote]

lol the same way wateen was launching its wimax service very soon?