PTCL IP TV [[[ Survey ]]]

No it doesn't support HDTV. It's got low-res standard definition support (as in, it doesn't stay clear on large screens - not as clear as a decoder)

As mentioned earlier, I have exactly the same issue.

For timeshift channels, a little rewinding makes the picture crystal clear.

Has anyone else experience such an issue that was resolved?

I would appreciate any tips on how it was resolved.

For me, rewinding doesn't seem to help.

I'll try checking again - I have to disconnect IPTV (since it won't be free any more, and it's practically not worth it. At all! Even Sun TV's better!)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Frankly speaking, I’ve never been a fan of IPTV from the start (I was one of their early day testers but no one seemed to care probably because of their marketing road roller). At the end of the day, what’s the point of digitally encoding a broadcast signal that was probably analog to begin with. I don’t know about you guys, but I am severely annoyed by the time delay between channels not to mention the hypersensitivity it shows to noise in the phone line (image starts to stutter). It’s been many months now since I packed away my STB device and went back to good ol’ cable. Price is another matter as well.
[/quote]

The problem with IPTV is that it might be a good alternative to cable (if you really can’t miss TV for a few minutes even), but it has serious dependency issues - like dependence on the phone line (it’s quality etc.), which make it AS fragile as DSL (via phone line also) to a bulldozer cutting the wires. Plus whenever that happens - and it WILL happen eventually if there is a lot of construction in your area - it means your service is gone for a few hours.

Now DSL over phone line may not be a problem in other countries where there is coordination between utility companies, but internet over phone line (as well as TV over phone line) is a seriously flawed proposition - in Pakistan, that is.

Specifically with regard to the PTCL TV service, there are a few problematic areas.

- Pakistan-specific issue of dependence on phone line reliability (as discussed above)

- Picture quality - if PTCL was offering HDTV that would be another thing (plenty of degradation and still would look ok maybe). But they are offering standard quality TV, and even in their One Stop Shops you can see that the quality is noticeably “blocky” (artifacts of high compression).

- Large delay between changing channels - this is a HUGE annoyance (as above poster also noted) as this means you CANNOT fast-flip through channels. This is a problem in some modern digital TVs and rear- projection TVs as well. And it is a NUISANCE as it reduces the user’s interactivity with the TV.

With internet TV they COULD optimize it somehow - by caching the next channel (if the set top box recognizes that the user is scanning through channels), but as it is, there WILL be a delay as the change is occuring at the Exchange. When you change channels, that info is used at the Exchange by the servers there to start sending you the other channel stream. So this roundabout way WILL lead to delays.

In contrast a standard “cable” TV connection has ALL channels delivered right to you and your TV decides which channel to show - thus fast response.

@ techpak2009

everything u said is totally false.....

the truth is that ptcl iptv is very good and its improving day by day....... it is still in beta stage after june you will see the final version of iptv and tell me one thing why u post such a big review when u r not a user of it u just saw it on ptcl one stop shops and post ur review....

you even dont know the meaning of word BETA

shame on you.....

if u compare it with worldcall iptv then u will imagine what type of service ptcl is providing.....

i m a user of iptv from day one.....

and i noticed everything is improving day by day.....

ptcl iptv is the best service available in pakistan.........

if anyone is interested in iptv then he should consider ptcl.........

recently they increased the number of channels from 102 to 125.......

@ techpak2009

if anyone is interested in iptv then he should consider ptcl…

[/quote]

:) , and why should I be interested in iptv over other options ?

I returned my stb today , because its just not worth the price , no way. Good its working for you , you are lucky I guess , but I can tell you its not for many others, as I went to their customer service center to return the device there was big pile of returned devices with the wall, all returned recently and being returned by users everyday.

Sorry onlyeuro,but your rebuttal is unsubstantiated.

The concept of IPTV in a Pakistani broadband context (which suffers from significant infrastructure reliability drawbacks) is what is fundamentally flawed.

I see no reason why you aim to shame techpak2009 - I can confirm, what he has stated is true and correct.

That having been said, maybe IPTV is for you , but it certainly not suited for the likes of people like techpak2009 and myself.

Also, returned my STB as well too today - I should add that there was quite the line for the returns.

@ techpak2009

everything u said is totally false.....

the truth is that ptcl iptv is very good and its improving day by day....... it is still in beta stage after june you will se the final version of iptv and tell me on thing why u post such a big review when u r not a user of it u just saw it on ptcl one stop shops and post ur review....

shame on you.....

if u compare it with worldcall iptv then u will imagine what type of service ptcl is providing.....

i m a user of iptv from day one.....

and i noticed everything is improving day by day.....

ptcl iptv is the best service available in pakistan.........

if anyone is interested in iptv then he should consider ptcl.........

recently they increased the number of channels from 102 to 125.......

[/quote]

Sorry onlyeuro,but your rebuttal is unsubstantiated.

The concept of IPTV in a Pakistani broadband context (which suffers from significant infrastructure reliability drawbacks) is what is fundamentally flawed.

I see no reason why you aim to shame techpak2009 - I can confirm, what he has stated is true and correct.

That having been said, maybe IPTV is for you , but it certainly not suited for the likes of people like techpak2009 and myself.

Also, returned my STB as well too today - I should add that there was quite the line for the returns.

[/quote]

And I shall be returning mine in a day or two. You just won’t get the bang from the buck they’ll charge! And increasing their channel lineup to 125 channels is useless - the ONLY decent channel in the new 25 is Al Jazeera English - which isn’t streaming (but the channel slot has been reserved).

And anyone noticed there isn’t a SINGLE English music channel? Even desi cable has that!

Too many flaws with the channel lineup… I really wonder why they’ve got a feedback form in the IPTV menu :confused:

[/quote]

This sounds much like Wateen WiMAX internet service (wireless).

Since they have started they have been in “beta” mode. They haven’t said it is “beta” mode, but it feels like it is beta.

That might be the case with PTCL. I am just reporting my own sense without being a subscriber, but from visiting the PTCL One Stop Shops and looking at the set top box and asking the staff there about service.

Also one naturally thinks of the reliability issue when one thinks of “phone lines” in Pakistan - given the lack of coordination between utility companies - so one guy will be breaking up the street and the people with cable in the ground will not know about it until AFTER the break.

However there are also significant problems with the TECHNOLOGY itself - as it CANNOT compete (at least until they fix that) with local cable on the LATENCY issue. That is, channel switching is instant on traditional TV and local analog cable, but it is significant for DSL IPTV.

Now that MIGHT NOT be a deal breaker, since the competitors for IPTV type services ALSO have such issues - for example some satellite settop boxes will have similar delay in channel switching. And I have seen some rear-projection type TVs also have this delay.

I am not sure how much delay is on Worldcall (which is a different technology than DSL IPTV - i.e. they use DOCCIS type stuff):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Perhaps channel switching on that is instant. But since ALL the channel information is delivered to all users all the time on the cable, it is a limitation with the set top box technology (as with satellite receiver settop boxes, and the rear-projection TV I mentioned above).

The problem with DSL IPTV is that the signal from the home has to go to the exchange where the DSL equipment switches around the channel to start sending the new one. Maybe they have improved this also, but that depends on how the industry technology is moving in DSL IPTV. Maybe they will improve later on this. But currently PTCL IPTV has significant delay between channels, so it will take you FOREVER to go from channel 1 to channel 80 if you are looking for some program, but don’t know what channel it is on.

One other weakness in DSL IPTV over local analog cable (from the cable-wala) - and this problem exists for some other services that use set top boxes like satellite TV also - is that you CANNOT take the signal from PTCL and send it to a recorder and control the channels from the recorder. In other words you cannot hook it up to a recorder to take timer recordings of different channels at various times in the future in unattended mode.

There IS a way to do this with set top boxes (like cable and perhaps satellite etc.) - but that requires a communicatino link between the recorder (like tape recorder or TIVO like devices) with the set top box, so that the recorder can “change the channel” on the set top box to the one it wants to record at 1:00pm etc. There is some standard for this - however PTCL’s set top boxes HAVE NO SUCH INTERFACE.

This means you CANNOT set up recorder to record off “TV”. ALSO you cannot hook it up via a TV Tuner box (USB or PCI card) to a computer and expect the computer to work with the “TV signal”, as the computer has no way to “change the channel” on the PTCL set top box.

This may not be a problem for most people - but it is a significant technical disadvantage in PTCL IPTV.

Plus so far the video qualty (at least at the One Stop Shops - which are meant to demonstrate it at it’s best) is NOT better than cable. It can be blocky at times, and until PTCL starts offering HDTV type service it will not be a huge advantage. But for HDTV you need HDTV TV sets. But at least it would have a “wow” factor.

You can have DSDs to switch to different channels at a specific time; you just need it programmed to switch at a specific time. This is only possible when

1) you have a TV guide feature, and

2) when the EPG actually works (PTCL advertises it but you can get a limited EPG for two or three in-house channels only).

I'd go back to DSTv with the same decoder I had back then (with the advanced functionality) than IPTV in Pakistan, atleast till another "mature" provider enters.

I’d go back to DSTv with the same decoder I had back then (with the advanced functionality) than IPTV in Pakistan, atleast till another “mature” provider enters.
[/quote]

How did DSTV etc. work for if you want to record a channel at say 9pm, and then another at 11pm ?

Was there a way to control the set top box from a tape or TIVO type recorder ?

DSTv has a PVR as well (it costs more). I never got to use it (since I last had it several years ago), but on their PVRs, you can program which program to record (the start and end times are determined by the information sent via satellite... you know - the info bar has the timings) and you could do some coordination.

I read on their site you could be recording one channel while watching another.

DSTv has a PVR as well (it costs more). I never got to use it (since I last had it several years ago), but on their PVRs, you can program which program to record (the start and end times are determined by the information sent via satellite… you know - the info bar has the timings) and you could do some coordination.

I read on their site you could be recording one channel while watching another.

[/quote]

Right but it DOES make it harder to control the channel if you are wanting to capture programs on your computer etc.

For that so far analog TV signals are the most convenient - as ALL channels travel on the cable, and the TV Tuner in your computer can choose the channel to display (which can be different from the one playing on your TV).

With DSTV and PTCL IPTV etc. you do not get this convenience. You have to somehow tell the set top box to switch to a certain channel (say if you want to record from your computer).

I think some set top boxes come with interfaces, and maybe there are ways to interface with a computer as well.

just received a text on my cell from PTCL "TV Customer! Following the end of free period for smart TV today, from July 01 you will be chared additional Rs.126 per month + Set Top Box charges"

well i requested for terminaton of smart TV today right after this text :)

I too received tht sms...so how many of u are staying wid IPTV?... I am..

I got that text too :P

I think I get what you're trying to say: you want to watch one and record another simultaneously, right, while controlling the channels you watch? The last time I recall, DSTv had this feature PARTIALLY - a dual-view decoder. Half of the channels would appear on one TV, and the other half on another. Some would overlap the two, but it wasn't the "perfect" thing - like it is in analog TV. That, I'm afraid, I don't know how to bypass.

I too received tht sms…so how many of u are staying wid IPTV?.. I am…
[/quote]

I am :). The only alternative in my area is sun tv which sucks compared to smart tv

hello I had a connection of DSL and smart Tv but after a certain time period I deactivated my smart tv but i still have my DSL activated .Now a week ago I took the same stb box from my cousin , tell me if i would connect it to my dsl as an IPTV and if yes how to configure it .

Please help meeeeeeeeeee

einna_75

no not at all....