PTCL + Google DNS = Speed UP Browsing

Well i have been using PTCL for almost 5 years... been with their standard DNS... found quite upshifts and down lags... although sometimes it sure remained constant... but just wanted to share... been using google DNS for almost like 2 years... and have to say... they have been much stabler...

What is Google Public DNS?

Google Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use as an alternative to your current DNS provider.

To try it out:

Configure your network settings to use Preferred DNS (8.8.8.8) & Alternate DNS (8.8.4.4)

unled1nl.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why does DNS matter?

The DNS protocol is an important part of the web's infrastructure, serving as the Internet's phone book: every time you visit a website, your computer performs a DNS lookup. Complex pages often require multiple DNS lookups before they start loading, so your computer may be performing hundreds of lookups a day.

Why should you try Google Public DNS?

By using Google Public DNS you can:

Speed up your browsing experience.(YES IT DOES)

Improve your security.(DONT REALLY NEED THAT MUCH)

Get the results you expect with absolutely no redirection.(YES IT DOES)

i just checked the speed of my DNS through namebench - the result i got is that your primary DNS (PTCL) are the most fastest one available. so i dont think i need to shift to Google DNS.

I am using Mobilink Jazz GPRS on PC, is it will be useful for me to shift my DNS to Google DNS

Irfan Siddique - Although that is what is preferred, but i`d say give it a try.

zed2 - Give a try and share your results.. would be helpful to many.

The downloading speeds will remain the same, but the response time is what we might be looking for.

Results are much appreciated , Thanks for the Effort.

Dsnt have much effect, ive used it loads of times.

Monty

Your Welcome...

metaltongue

well it can variate from system to system...

[quote=", post:2, topic:15881"]

i just checked the speed of my DNS through namebench - the result i got is that your primary DNS (PTCL) are the most fastest one available. so i dont think i need to shift to Google DNS.

[/quote]

google dns is far better than ptcl’s … it works for 2 minutes then it takes break for 3 minutes… lol

converted on GOOGLE DNS - just cuz i trust google more than i trust PTCL :)

Shifted to Googles Dns servers years ago, I don't trust PTCL plus PTCL servers theoretically should be faster since they are right here in pk but I suspect they are overloaded and response times vary from fast to slow to sometimes giving errors

does it improves the ping too ???