PTCL DSL IP Settings, Speed and TP Link Connectivity

Hi All,

I have three issues/questions, any input regarding these would be highly appreciated.

1. Local PTCL guy replaced my faulty DSL router. It is now working, however, I have to add IP address, subnet mask, DNS etc. Without entering them, there is no internet access. This is cumbersome because I have to add newer laptops temporarily and It is not convinient to add these settings each time on every laptop. Any way around this?

IP_Settings.jpg

2. I have a PTCL 2mbps package but the speedtest shows only 0.81mpbs, when I called the PTCL tech support they tlod me to register a complain. The PTCL representative came to my home and checked, but he said that I will not get higher speed than this. When I asked why, he said he didn't know. Any comments?

Speed_Test.jpg

3. I am trying to connect a TP-Link TL-WR740N router, I have followed whatever help I could find on these and other forums. There are some more issues, inlcuding

{a} I guessed the PPPoE PTCL username/password as my number etc. Is it correct or do I have to contact ptcl.

{b} After completing all steps, I was still unable to use internet on laptop or phone. Any help?

Thank you

non.techie

Reply 1:- Share DSL router Setting pages, or check if DHCP is enabled or not. check you data profile page also.

Reply 2:- Share your line stats. Its on Copper or fiber?

Reply 3:- First solve problem 1 than come to 3, this may be due to DHCP/ IP settings.

Username/password should not be an issue, otherwise you will get authentication error.

@shafiq: Thank you a lot.

1,3) I checked the settings of my ZTE wired router and indeed DHCP was disabled. After enabling it, there is no such issue anymore, And yes, TP Link is working as well. Thank you.

But I have connected my TP Link as a wireless access point with DHCP disabled. What I mean is that the ethernet cable from the ZTE router/modem is plugged into the LAN port, NOT WAN, of the TP Link. So, is this ok or is there any preferred way? If I plug the cable into the WAN port, there is no internet connectivity. Is there any benefit or drawbacks of using the TP link as my current setup.

2) Here is the screenshot

From the above screenshot, I guess the SNR is 32dB and Attenuation is 19.5dB. Am I correct?

Regards

And line is Copper.

Glad to hear, Kindly hit LIKE THIS button :)

[quote=“non.techie, post:3, topic:21577”]

2) Here is the screenshot

From the above screenshot, I guess the SNR is 32dB and Attenuation is 19.5dB. Am I correct?

Regards

[/quote]

Your profile sugest that you have 1MB connection not 2MB.

[quote=“non.techie, post:3, topic:21577”]

But I have connected my TP Link as a wireless access point with DHCP disabled. What I mean is that the ethernet cable from the ZTE router/modem is plugged into the LAN port, NOT WAN, of the TP Link. So, is this ok or is there any preferred way? If I plug the cable into the WAN port, there is no internet connectivity. Is there any benefit or drawbacks of using the TP link as my current setup.

[/quote]

DHCP on secondary router should be disabled.

Make sure that you are in the same subnet, means 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 etc

Set your secondary router to channel 11.

Connect secondary router to LAN port not WAN port.

that should work...hit LIKe when done :)

[quote=“shafiq, post:7, topic:21577”]

DHCP on secondary router should be disabled.

Make sure that you are in the same subnet, means 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 etc

Set your secondary router to channel 11.

Connect secondary router to LAN port not WAN port.

that should work...hit LIKe when done :)

[/quote]

Yes, I did that. This forum is a good place, lots of information. Thank you for your time again.

Are you referring to the highlighted part? This is bizzare, I am paying for 2MB/s. :(

I'll call PTCL again, they were pretty helpful when I asked them earlier for my PPPoE username and password.

Hello!

Wrt to your first problem, I would like to suggest that you put the zte router in bridge mode to use as a modem only and use the newer tp-link one(wireless router) configured with pppoe (wan port connected to the zte via lan cable) as your main router as its likely to have more ram and speed ... this way you won't have to mess with dhcp settings on 2 devices ... though you won't be able to monitor line statistics (without connecting the zte directly to pc/laptop with static ip) so you may wait till your speed issue is resolved (your port has not been upgraded ... do keep an eye on your billing as well)!

Regards,

Ahmed

@Ahmed, thank you for this input. I will definitely try this but I'm waiting for this speed issue to be resolved. I have lodged a complaint with PTCL, lets see when the action will be taken. I will further my complaint to PTA if matters are not resolved.

Regards

Well after several calls to PTCL helpline (1218), a futile visit to PTCL exchange and an angry outburst, they promised to update my port.

The Speedtest result

Latest_PTCL_Speedtest_Result.jpg

Any suggestions? I have a 2MB/s connection. Still same speed.