PTCL DSL Broadband Alternatives

PTCL broadband also known as PTCL Student Package service keep increasing their charges month after month. PTCL has again declared to further increase 1mb & 2mb student package charges. I am using their service in Karachi and it is clearly mentioned in my october 2013 bill.

PTCL Bill states that.

With effect from 1st November 2013, 1Mbps Student
Package Charges will be Rs. 1,250/Month and 2Mbps
Student Package Charges will be Rs. 1,424/Month. 

The so called STUDENT PACKAGE is getting damn costly. They are also forcing Unlimited calls on Rs.250/- package with student package and on the top of that several Taxes are associated with that. They are also using cheap marketing tactics like Re-Connect your Broadband Today and get 50% discount on all outstanding dues on reconnecting. 50% off on all broadband packages of 1Mbps and above.

I am sure there are many people those who are looking for PTCL alternatives.

Guys please use this thread to discuss PTCL broad band alternatives.

Student packages are for students(u know) but they start downloading things which they don't need(tv shows etc).....PTCL should do something about this like student packages only for students for their studies and research which should cost 500 for 1mb(browsing or low bandwidth).

For those who downloads things which the doesn't need,2mb for them and its should not cost more than 1200-1400 or 1000.That is my opinion and reason why they are increasing rates.........

[quote=“Omicron7, post:2, topic:20444”]

Student packages are for students(u know) but they start downloading things which they don't need(tv shows etc).....PTCL should do something about this like student packages only for students for their studies and research which should cost 500 for 1mb(browsing or low bandwidth).

For those who downloads things which the doesn't need,2mb for them and its should not cost more than 1200-1400 or 1000.That is my opinion and reason why they are increasing rates.........

[/quote]

Could'nt have said it better myself, I posted the same on propakistani and I am sure I will get flamed for saying the same here.

If you really want it for your studying needs then get an economy package which costs around 500Rs and have a bandwith cap of 10GB. You really don't need anything above that for your research projects. But everyone thinks they are entitled for cheap packages with same unlimited bandwith that others are paying full price just because they are "Students". And then 95% of these same students go onto torrents and keep their pc's on all night downloading every movie/tv shows/other stuff which really isn't my concern.

I was also a student, first from FC College then CIIT Lahore but I never got a student package because I never needed it for "Studying only", been using PTCL DSL since 2007 and if you want it for your normal needs then get a normal unlimited package, end of story.

And coming back to OP's original question, there really isn't any dsl competitor or provider that I know of, atleast for Lahore. I know Nayatel but their packages are also capped during day and they are only for ISB/Pindi. No idea about Karachi but I doubt so.

Hello!

That's why competition is good for consumers ... however, there are a number of options:

- PTCL DSL Pool: If you want to keep using the DSL, you may ask your neighbour to pool into it with a router having bandwidth controls (or QoS at least) ... reselling is illegal but technically it won't be reselling ... with speed upgrades, you might be able to have same speed as before with more or less same price of student package! The main router's expense would be relatvely high, but, once you have it, you may be able to get even faster packages by adding more people to the pool!

Note: Putting LAN cables across buildings is not recommended due to difference between ground/earth potential! Within same building, it's okay!

- Local LAN: This is just like the first option with someone doing it professionaly with multiple internet connections (multi-wan)!

- Cable Net: Many people have listed cable providers around Karachi that also provide internet!

- WiMAX: Qubee/Wateen/WiTribe/Infinity/... offer wireless internet packages though with much lower usage limits but reasonable!

- EDGE: With 3G far off, EDGE's 384Kbps seems low but with newer low cost 'unlimited' packages (never go for Rs--./MB packages as that can get expensive real soon) you can be online from almost anywhere ... you may also use your smartphone as a hotsopt (tethering) and use the net on nearby devices!

Regards,

Ahmed Faraz

[quote=“Omicron7, post:2, topic:20444”]

[/quote]

The concept of unlimited quota for student does not refers to torrents/movies etc. Online video lectures / CBTs are also related with studies.

PTCL Student package is just a marketing technique to grab costomers. PTCL is not even connected with PERN , nor they provide any special facility to facilitate students like IEEE Access etc. Once you subscribed to their student package you can use is till death.

do you live under a rock in a desert? Cant see you everything is getting expensive at an alarming rate i.e inflation. Don't blame the PTCL, blame the buffoons/jokers you people were all hyped up to vote for. Technically, PTCL is still the cheapest.

Living under a rock in a desert would be far better than living in Pakistan.Its a shithole country.. you dont seem to be getting the current increased fed tax on your broadband.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

[quote=“koder, post:7, topic:20444”]

Living under a rock in a desert would be far better than living in Pakistan.Its a shithole country.. you dont seem to be getting the current increased fed tax on your broadband. Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

[/quote]

oh really? i thought this country was going to be the BEST due to IK.

Lets not devolve this into a pointless arguement about politics.

Regarding the originial question, I truly hate PTCL because they can treat us like sh*t due to their monopoly. I understand that we are a slave nation and must pay to over overlords (Saudi, US etc) but there are measures that we can take.

e.g. we could all rally a bunch of people, starting with forums such as this and other pakistani forums, our own respective social circles etc and get people to mass migrate to other, competing ISPs at similar rates by asking those ISPs to make deals with us as we will be signing up in bulk. The reason those ISPs are expensive is because PTCL has the lions share of consumers and thus a resulting economy which is why they can price gouge us for abysmally high prices.

We can and SHOULD vote with our money, which is the only vote that actually counts.

If any other ISP saw hundreds or thousands of customers willing to move over, they will easily be able to offer lower rates or rates competitive to PTCL and better service as well. For the last two weeks on my 4 mb connection i was getting 2mb down and 0.2mb up speed. It was fixed minutes ago but now my phone line is dead. I've made the longest calls of my life calling ptcl helplines and getting transferred between departments.

[quote=“metaltongue, post:8, topic:20444”]

[/quote]

You're butthurt for no reason, because last I checked IK didn't win the elections and did not rule Pakistan.

Let's conveniently ignore the fact that ganja shareef is currently in power. Shall we?

[quote=“Specter, post:10, topic:20444”]

You're butthurt for no reason, because last I checked IK didn't win the elections and did not rule Pakistan.

Let's conveniently ignore the fact that ganja shareef is currently in power. Shall we?

[/quote]

Did i mention anywhere that he won? maybe you should change your username to spectacles because you need 4 eyes like REAL bad. IK was supposed to win? The messiah of new Pk? Poor kids. No one is in power in this god forsaken country F--K.

[quote=“metaltongue, post:11, topic:20444”]

Did i mention anywhere that he won? maybe you should change your username to spectacles because you need 4 eyes like REAL bad. IK was supposed to win? The messiah of new Pk? Poor kids. No one is in power in this god forsaken country F--K.

[/quote]

OK angry grandpa.

Too bad political discussions aren't allowed on WP, so I'll just be a good kid and not kick your butt anymore. :P

^

yeah we all know what do you mean by 'kick'....

MP900387744.jpg

:lol:

[quote=“metaltongue, post:8, topic:20444”]

Living under a rock in a desert would be far better than living in Pakistan.Its a shithole country… you dont seem to be getting the current increased fed tax on your broadband. Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

[/quote]
Its not under him, its under your very own nawaz league.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk